2022 Mizuno ST Series Drivers and Metal Woods

Hitting a little high on the clubface, eh?
I have hit a couple like that with my STZ, not even a scuff of a dummy mark.. Good luck with warranty.

Those marks are from early in the season when I first got the club and was fiddling around with different swing changes (and getting used to the new shaft). Now that I've figured things out, my miss is actually low in the face (wave sole helps a lot here). But honestly, right up until I broke it I was hitting it pretty centered, and earlier in the round (prior to the break) I'd hit a 323, a 314, and a 313 yard drive. It was one of my best driving days of my life, tbh... right up until it wasn't :cry:

Great to hear your experience mimics mine. It’s such a stable head. If I do anything close to my part it fills in the rest.
I think it’s a combo of the head and the tensei white pro 1k. This shaft (I’m in xflex 60g) has the most stable tip I’ve ever swung tons of confidence in it

Another 2 great rounds in the books and the driver was a big contributor.

Hot 9 of 11 fairways in 1 game leading to an easy 76 with a double bogey after a short success par 3.

Today shot 78 with 2 double bogeys.
Driver was so forgiving that one went 245 right down the middle with a ball mark so high near the crown toe side ll that only 3/4 of the ball hit the face.

Playing partners had no idea....

This might not be the overall longest driver of 2022 on best hits bit when forgiveness is factored in, I don't think anything can match it.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

So driver is a weaker spot in my bag. This has resulted in me, against the likely prudent advice of others, not always swinging through the ball and just keeping a little back in the tank in an effort to keep it in play.

Tomorrow, however, is charity scramble day so the gloves come off and it's time to really see what this thing can do in terms of top end distance :cool:

Shotscope update comparing the old gamer, Cobra LTDx (black tag) and the ST-Z (blue tag). Some sample size concerns as only two rounds in the Mizuno with the Tensei shaft but where it matters this driver is plenty long. Also worth noting is I am finding 10% more fairways with the ST-Z

1662031275617.png

Well I did it, won an auction - About $225 with tax and shipping - shaft may be too much but really eager to try it out - RDX blue 6.0. I am on the bubble between R and S (according to the True Temper/Hzrdus site, and many others). If it arrives in time, I can play it on Sunday (weather permitting).

It's mainly a test - wanted to revisit this club (from my fitting - where I had a bad bad swing, I hit everything left - that seems to have fixed itself). But I also wanted to try a stiffer shaft in the driver - if for no other reason to see what it does compared to the current driver. May have to hit the range first...

So played two balls over four holes this evening with this and my previous gamer, the LTDx. Honestly the two drivers were neck and neck. The LTDx had maybe a bit tighter dispersion due to strike and how I agree a bit better with that shaft, but this one was pretty illuminating. Similar strikes high on the face and the ST-Z had a clear 15 yards more distance.

If you are in the market you are nuts to not put this up against anything.

View attachment 9108727
I've been actively trying to talk myself out of buying an ST-Z. Between the price drop and posts like yours, it's becoming increasingly difficult to not pull the trigger.

I've been actively trying to talk myself out of buying an ST-Z. Between the price drop and posts like yours, it's becoming increasingly difficult to not pull the trigger.
You do you, but you won’t be disappointed in it if I had to bet.

So driver is a weaker spot in my bag. This has resulted in me, against the likely prudent advice of others, not always swinging through the ball and just keeping a little back in the tank in an effort to keep it in play.

Tomorrow, however, is charity scramble day so the gloves come off and it's time to really see what this thing can do in terms of top end distance :cool:
Didn’t completely get all of one in the scramble today but this one was the best of the bunch being a touch downhill. Also caught another low toe, which is a weird miss for me, that stayed down the left side of the fairway. I know I’m a broken record here but this is a really stable head.
03BE6FFE-741F-49F7-BBF0-2B0F4B336C4F.png

Ok, my very fast write up - mine arrived yesterday about an hour or so before my 2pm tee time. Out the door via eBay was about $226, that included tax and shipping. Surprisingly to me, the club was new - or as new it could be. I noticed sticker residue on the shaft near the grip and a smudge maybe 2mm by 2mm on the cover. While I did not give a microscopic evaluation, on the face, crown, sole and grip, I saw no evidence that it ever hit a ball. This one came (as I wanted to test it, the Hzdrus RDX Blue 6.0 shaft, it is a 9.5 degree.

Being an internet golfer and never satisfied either with accuracy or distance I wanted to switch things up a bit - gamer is a Callaway Rogue ST Max at 10.5 presently with Aldila NV. I found the heavier shaft for me to be exactly what was needed to reduce or eliminate the left side pull or snap hook. But, again, small sample size, shaft change was a move from a 50 gram shaft.

So, club came in, looked good, tee time at 2 why not take it with me and alternate drivers. I did this, I was walking it was hot (Damn Hot) course is long (for walking 8+miles), I had been up since 4 am (took family to airport), and very wet (morning monsoon) so in my haste, I did not keep stats (fairways etc) between clubs. Front nine, both drivers were hitting on all cycles, best drives with each were satisfying - having played the course a few times, I found more distance (from my normal area) with the ST-Z - I was very pleasantly surprised.

Ball flight is lower - not a lot, but still, on dry or dryer days, I expect a lot of roll out. ST Max also performed well. My early take away - the ST-Z will be in the bag solo on Sunday. If it does not rain hard I could get a better feel on actual distance. The shaft is not something you have to swing out of your shoes to use (I am at best low end of the Stiff shaft envelope). Back nine super tired, score began to soar - for many reasons, poor chips, multiple 3 putts, etc. But only drive was out of play (it was the ST-Z), and it was very barely out of play, Ironically I found the ball - first time I found an errant shot on this course!

If you are not happy with your present driver - try this on, at the current price of $299, or an even better (though with risk) price on eBay - it could be just what you need.

As to preferences - I like the deeper face on this driver - and to my eye (and I am deaf, old, and maybe blind -haha, glasses) it seems smaller - for me more confidence building - but need to stay focused - so to speak. I am NOT saying that this has beat the ST Max - too soon to tell and need some range time, just saying for 7 shots I was impressed, stunned, and rather happy.

The odd thing, when I was fit - back in VA at PGSTSS (paid fitting), I could not hit this club anywhere but left, way left. So, my take away from that to this...the shaft was too light (it was the tense blue 50 or 55 (I think?) maybe even the Ascent? 40 - cannot recall - but it was NOT the Blue RDX - which I wanted to try based on several people at the GD reunion event suggesting - they said try a counterbalanced shaft. Finally, I assume that the day of the fitting - I was getting tired or just swinging the club - several poorly.

Ok, another post that is way too long, and detailed - and I am laughing I swung it 7 times! The post should have been:

I hit it on course, so far so good 7 shots 6 were playable, and the 7th I was really tired, I need to use it/try it more.

Ok, my very fast write up - mine arrived yesterday about an hour or so before my 2pm tee time. Out the door via eBay was about $226, that included tax and shipping. Surprisingly to me, the club was new - or as new it could be. I noticed sticker residue on the shaft near the grip and a smudge maybe 2mm by 2mm on the cover. While I did not give a microscopic evaluation, on the face, crown, sole and grip, I saw no evidence that it ever hit a ball. This one came (as I wanted to test it, the Hzdrus RDX Blue 6.0 shaft, it is a 9.5 degree.

Being an internet golfer and never satisfied either with accuracy or distance I wanted to switch things up a bit - gamer is a Callaway Rogue ST Max at 10.5 presently with Aldila NV. I found the heavier shaft for me to be exactly what was needed to reduce or eliminate the left side pull or snap hook. But, again, small sample size, shaft change was a move from a 50 gram shaft.

So, club came in, looked good, tee time at 2 why not take it with me and alternate drivers. I did this, I was walking it was hot (Damn Hot) course is long (for walking 8+miles), I had been up since 4 am (took family to airport), and very wet (morning monsoon) so in my haste, I did not keep stats (fairways etc) between clubs. Front nine, both drivers were hitting on all cycles, best drives with each were satisfying - having played the course a few times, I found more distance (from my normal area) with the ST-Z - I was very pleasantly surprised.

Ball flight is lower - not a lot, but still, on dry or dryer days, I expect a lot of roll out. ST Max also performed well. My early take away - the ST-Z will be in the bag solo on Sunday. If it does not rain hard I could get a better feel on actual distance. The shaft is not something you have to swing out of your shoes to use (I am at best low end of the Stiff shaft envelope). Back nine super tired, score began to soar - for many reasons, poor chips, multiple 3 putts, etc. But only drive was out of play (it was the ST-Z), and it was very barely out of play, Ironically I found the ball - first time I found an errant shot on this course!

If you are not happy with your present driver - try this on, at the current price of $299, or an even better (though with risk) price on eBay - it could be just what you need.

As to preferences - I like the deeper face on this driver - and to my eye (and I am deaf, old, and maybe blind -haha, glasses) it seems smaller - for me more confidence building - but need to stay focused - so to speak. I am NOT saying that this has beat the ST Max - too soon to tell and need some range time, just saying for 7 shots I was impressed, stunned, and rather happy.

The odd thing, when I was fit - back in VA at PGSTSS (paid fitting), I could not hit this club anywhere but left, way left. So, my take away from that to this...the shaft was too light (it was the tense blue 50 or 55 (I think?) maybe even the Ascent? 40 - cannot recall - but it was NOT the Blue RDX - which I wanted to try based on several people at the GD reunion event suggesting - they said try a counterbalanced shaft. Finally, I assume that the day of the fitting - I was getting tired or just swinging the club - several poorly.

Ok, another post that is way too long, and detailed - and I am laughing I swung it 7 times! The post should have been:

I hit it on course, so far so good 7 shots 6 were playable, and the 7th I was really tired, I need to use it/try it more.
Love hearing this and excited to hear how the solo round goes Sunday

More rain this morning likely to still be cat path only, so I’ll be walking with the electric cart.

at 5-6 miles that’s perfect, but Charleston humidity and 8+ miles, game peters out around 15. But we’ll see.

Need to do some post round editing from starting on the back nine to get strokes gained, but this driver was in the bag and in play * tonight for the first time breaking 80 this year. So no matter the strokes gained, it was good enough to allow me to shoot that score and that’s all that matters for me at the end of the day.

*I say ‘in play’ as I’ve been know to bench the driver at times if the swing just isn’t there and tonight it was pulled on every hole it should be.

You when you hit driver and it just makes that sound that causes everyone to look?

Well, I never experienced it with a club in hand but I straight piped one in league last night that caused everyone in the group and on the adjacent green look up and go whoa 😎

The wind ate it up a bit so it wasn’t my longest, but man it was an enjoyable experience.

A few screenshots from my first round with the Stz220. Nothing crazy long, but bested my averages all day long, and never had an unstable flight. I can get flippy and have a very neutral path and attack angle.

Missed a screenshot on #13 that rivaled #1 as well. Can't wait to keep hitting this driver.Screenshot_20220911-174758_18Birdies.jpgScreenshot_20220911-174807_18Birdies.jpgScreenshot_20220911-174812_18Birdies.jpg

I had some great swings with the ST-Z today, but a few were forgiveness was tested. I saw parts of the course yardage wise I had no business seeing but the forgiveness and ball speed retention is great. I caught a couple in the center and it was 283 & 286 for each. This head has plenty of pop and those are distances with my mediocre swing speed.

this one is pretty good for me right now and no reason to move on.

I had some great swings with the ST-Z today, but a few were forgiveness was tested. I saw parts of the course yardage wise I had no business seeing but the forgiveness and ball speed retention is great. I caught a couple in the center and it was 283 & 286 for each. This head has plenty of pop and those are distances with my mediocre swing speed.

this one is pretty good for me right now and no reason to move on.
It’s just such a good driver to play golf with, if that makes sense

Ok, I will have more to say after the weekend. But, I did play 9 last week nothing terrible off the tee - see the you tee it too low thread. I was at the range Tuesday. Hit about 15 tee balls, teed it up about 1/3 inch higher than my old normal. Like what I see, cannot be sure, but I hit a much lower ball flight - than my old driver (with R flex shaft) still pretty high, tons of roll, from the range, I think I hit the ball considerably farther - no ugly lefts - a few balls did go left, but not snap hookish, just a tad more left than expected. Between the new head (yea, it wants to go straight), the shaft, it is more stout and much lower flight), and teeing it up higher - color me impressed and the bargain price I paid for a new current model (albeit late season) $226 shipped I am very happy that I took a flier on this club - oh, and it's the 9.5 degree or 9 (whichever), only adjustment is upright, no change to loft (unless upright makes a dynamic change to loft).

Cannot wait to see what they deliver next.

I am kind of a driver 'Ho. I have a Ping G425 Max, A Titleist TSI 2, and an STZ220, which has the same Tensi shaft as the TSI. They are all really, really good drivers. But when I am headed out for a money match, I always seem to find myself bagging the STZ. It's just a little better than the other two, more expensive clubs. Go figure.

It’s just such a good driver to play golf with, if that makes sense
I’ll put this up against anything for ball speed retention and distance on mishits. I agree 100% it’s just fun to tee off with this one

Anyone know if the hosel adjustments are the same as the original St-Z driver? Can't find an adjustment chart anywhere. If someone could post one that would great as well. I assume the adapter is at least the same as the previous model?

Anyone know if the hosel adjustments are the same as the original St-Z driver? Can't find an adjustment chart anywhere. If someone could post one that would great as well. I assume the adapter is at least the same as the previous model?
I couldn’t find one either, but the hosel is identical and based off the results I saw when playing with it, it seems to align

Based on my memory from talking to Vosh, it’s the same

Same adjustments, just sits 1° more upright at neutral setting

Adapters are the same

Ok, I will have more to say after the weekend. But, I did play 9 last week nothing terrible off the tee - see the you tee it too low thread. I was at the range Tuesday. Hit about 15 tee balls, teed it up about 1/3 inch higher than my old normal. Like what I see, cannot be sure, but I hit a much lower ball flight - than my old driver (with R flex shaft) still pretty high, tons of roll, from the range, I think I hit the ball considerably farther - no ugly lefts - a few balls did go left, but not snap hookish, just a tad more left than expected. Between the new head (yea, it wants to go straight), the shaft, it is more stout and much lower flight), and teeing it up higher - color me impressed and the bargain price I paid for a new current model (albeit late season) $226 shipped I am very happy that I took a flier on this club - oh, and it's the 9.5 degree or 9 (whichever), only adjustment is upright, no change to loft (unless upright makes a dynamic change to loft).

Cannot wait to see what they deliver next.
What additional thoughts do you have if you were able to get on the weekend?

Back