2022 Mizuno ST Series Drivers and Metal Woods

Hybrids always fly under the radar when in all likelihood most of us should be using them more. The new hybrid has me intrigued as well. I need to see this one in person.

Great article @ddec. I played last years 3 wood and it was a cannon (a bit on the bigger side) but still easy to hit off the deck. I have year to hit one of their drivers, hoping to give one a swing this year if they actually make it into our shop

Well hello

39D6A2F3-349C-4655-8731-EE1EF1DD1614.jpeg

these really are gorgeous

I def intend to try this driver....

Little to no Youtube videos on these drivers...

I'm kinda surprised.....as I think these will be incredible performers.

Good to know they're in stock and can be hit at the LGS, thanks @GraniteRoost. Would be fun to take my ST-Z down and compare the ST-Z to the Z-220 with my gamer shaft in both. Now I just have to not be so dang busy at work.

patiently waiting for some @GraniteRoost thoughts

Just finished up, with this and some other new shiny things. I will have some thoughts posted up here in a bit. Executive Summary = Lots of positive thoughts. (y)

Good to know they're in stock and can be hit at the LGS, thanks @GraniteRoost. Would be fun to take my ST-Z down and compare the ST-Z to the Z-220 with my gamer shaft in both. Now I just have to not be so dang busy at work.
Looking forward to this. I've got the ST-Z in the bag, it's hard to find head-to-head comparisons.

Looking forward to this. I've got the ST-Z in the bag, it's hard to find head-to-head comparisons.
I've been wanting to get down and get some swings anyway. And since I have a shaft that I was fitted to that fits both might as well compare them head to head.

I stopped by the LGS on my way home from work to see what might be new, and found a smorgasboard :) . New Mizuno ST-Z 220 and ST-X 220, a 3w and 5w, and a CLK series hybrid. I seemed to be the first one that found them. I picked out the ST-Z to try, and there were only four shafts, three of which were light weight & flex, so I picked the stoutest of the four a Tensei Blue AV 60S. I did NOT have my gamer ST-X with me, which is too bad, because I was not necessarily expecting the new Mizuno stuff today and could have plugged my gamer shaft in.

First looks, the head shapes and overall presentation at address seem very similar to last years models. There is a subtle ST-Z branding at the back of the crown on the ST-Z, and closer to the heel on the ST-X, that are both tastefully done. The sole is where you see more changes, and it also looks great. I really like to overall shape and paint/carbon fade on the crown. Mizuno improved on a great package in the aesthetics department.

IMG_1046.jpg

Hitting some shots, right out of the gate I the sound reminded me a lot of my ST-X, which is a nice thing. It is a little more metallic/titanium-y than Callaway Rogue or TM Stealth, but not in a bad way. My driver swing is not the best right now, and I moved around the face a good bit. Things got better as went along. I thought it was plenty forgiving everywhere, and notably my toe-hook miss held up better than some others (*** COUGH... Taylor Made*** ), with spin only dipping a little below 1800 rpm. Heel side it was fine, I hit a few heel side fades and saw reasonable spin rates given what I was doing.

I was planning to hit the ST-X but I got distracted by Callaway shiny things, and kind of lost track of what I was doing. However, that gives me a reason to go back with my Kinetixx Velocity gamer shaft and do a little more tinkering. The Tensei Blue 60S is NOT a shaft that I was getting along with, and I was having trouble sort of hitting it square. I played a Rogue ST drivers today with Tensei White AV 65X, and the Stealth with a 60X Kai-li, and got along with both of those much better as far as finding center.

I also got distracted from taking more pictures of the ST-X and ST-Z next to each other... I will do that next time. THAT will be a fun comparo, I have been wanting to do that for while now. And I feel like I owe THP a MUCH better set of pictures than I took today.

Data

A note to hitting order... I was hitting my best toward the end of the session. I hit two sets of 5-6 shots each with ST-Z, then Rogue ST LS, then Rogue TD. By the second set on the Cally's I was figuring my swing out a little better. At the end I decided to mix in Stealth Plus and it may have benefitted from my swing being better at that point. My own gamer ST-X kept up with the Stealth Plus for me last week.

Golf Ball is the 2022 Bridgestone TourB XS.

IMG_1056.jpg

Driver Test STZ Rogue Stealth.png

Last edited:
I stopped by the LGS on my way home from work to see what might be new, and found a smorgasboard :) . New Mizuno ST-X 200 and ST-X 220, a 3w and 5w, and a CLK series hybrid. I seemed to be the first one that found them. I picked out the ST-Z to try, and there were only four shafts, three of which were light weight & flex, so I picked the stoutest of the four a Tensei Blue AV 60S. I did NOT have my gamer ST-X with me, which is too bad, because I was not necessarily expecting the new Mizuno stuff today and could have plugged my gamer shaft in.

First looks, the head shapes and overall presentation at address seem very similar to last years models. There is a subtle ST-Z branding at the back of the crown on the ST-Z, and closer to the heel on the ST-X, that are both tastefully done. The sole is where you see more changes, and it also looks great. I really like to overall shape and paint/carbon fade on the crown. Mizuno improved on a great package in the aesthetics department.

Hitting some shots, right out of the gate I the sound reminded me a lot of my ST-X, which is a nice thing. It is a little more metallic/titanium-y than Callaway Rogue or TM Stealth, but not in a bad way. My driver swing is not the best right now, and I moved around the face a good bit. Things got better as went along. I thought it was plenty forgiving everywhere, and notably my toe-hook miss held up better than some others (*** COUGH... Taylor Made*** ), with spin only dipping a little below 1800 rpm. Heel side it was fine, I hit a few heel side fades and saw reasonable spin rates given what I was doing.

I was planning to hit the ST-X but I got distracted by Callaway shiny things, and kind of lost track of what I was doing. However, that gives me a reason to go back with my Kinetixx Velocity gamer shaft and do a little more tinkering. The Tensei Blue 60S is NOT a shaft that I was getting along with, and I was having trouble sort of hitting it square. I played a Rogue ST drivers today with Tensei White AV 65X, and the Stealth with a 60X Kai-li, and got along with both of those much better as far as finding center.

I also got distracted from taking more pictures of the ST-X and ST-Z next to each other... I will do that next time. THAT will be a fun comparo, I have been wanting to do that for while now. And I feel like I owe THP a MUCH better set of pictures than I took today.

Data

A note to hitting order... I was hitting my best toward the end of the session. I hit two sets of 5-6 shots each with ST-Z, then Rogue ST LS, then Rogue TD. By the second set on the Cally's I was figuring my swing out a little better. At the end I decided to mix in Stealth Plus and it may have benefitted from my swing being better at that point. My own gamer ST-X kept up with the Stealth Plus for me last week.

YOU. DA. MAN. 1642639101407.gif
Thank you

What is your gamer shaft? Can you try the rogue max as well (if you do it again)?

YOU. DA. MAN. View attachment 9061195
Thank you

What is your gamer shaft? Can you try the rogue max as well (if you do it again)?

Yes, I have a couple of upcoming things I want to do. ST-X & ST-Z with my gamer (below). And Max - Max LS - TD need a second go for sure.

1642639456330.png
1642639474305.png

For another data point, here is my gamer OG ST-X hitting with the same Stealth Plus setup last week. I post this to show that I am probably a large variable in the test results 👽. These are GOOD drivers. And the ST-Z did a nice job managing my misses today with a less that perfect setup.

IMG_1043.jpg
TM Stealth Driver.png

With a proper fit this driver could work really well for you. I hope to see one in the wild soon.

I'm already looking forward to going back and hitting these again. And, the ST-X hybrid I neglected needs some action. Pondering if I will test with Kinetixx Velocity or my RDX Black that came stock in my ST-X.

This too needs to be in my #BagBattle….

Mizuno woods look so so so good the past couple years..

Will these and the Rogues be testable on Saturday? I have a lesson at PGATSS - two birds one stone. Likely to be my last time out until surgery so that I am not in contact with any of the Covid spreaders (I hope).

Back