2022 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a treadmill and Peloton at home so I have no excuses other than I hate running on a treadmill and my tolerance for being on a bike indoors is only about 30 minutes. My weight drops quickly once the warmer weather gets here and I can be outside most of the day instead of being inside and hitting the snack drawer out of boredom. :)

I am not fan of the treadmill.

I'm finding it difficult to do cardio. I enjoy running, but will not, for safety reasons, run outside in the winter. Also, I'm currently not comfortable with going to the gym. Hopefully, by March, with increased daylight and warmer weather, I'll be able to run outside.
There are a lot of bodyweight movements that can increase your heart rate similar to cardio that can be done inside. Any type of explosive movements... Jumping jacks, high knees, butt kicks, burpees, squat jumps, jumping lunges, marching in place...

toughest thing for me is just getting started exercising. i don't really like exercising but i know it is the best way, along with a healthy diet, to lose weight.

kids are funny, they have no filter. my daughter use to pat my tummy and say: "you have a big tummy daddy"....not really funny but funny :ROFLMAO:
That's always the toughest part!
There's so many different types of exercises that I'd suggest trying different types until you find something that you like. Once you find something you like it's easier to stick with.

There are a lot of bodyweight movements that can increase your heart rate similar to cardio that can be done inside. Any type of explosive movements... Jumping jacks, high knees, butt kicks, burpees, squat jumps, jumping lunges, marching in place...

I understand but running is the one thing that I have always done.

Can you show a picture of how you layout the wonton wrappers in the muffin tin??
I've never used them but this sounds very intriguing & like I need to add them to my grocery list.

Sure, give me a few minutes and I will grab a muffin tin and take some pictures. If you need/want any recipes let me know, I have quite a few, they are all delicious (IMO at least haha).

Sure, give me a few minutes and I will grab a muffin tin and take some pictures. If you need/want any recipes let me know, I have quite a few, they are all delicious (IMO at least haha).
I'm always up for recipes!
I'm going to make orange chicken in the crockpot today using G. Hughes sugar free orange ginger marinade.

I'm a very lazy cooker. I'm big on recipes that are easy and don't take a ton of prep.

I'm going to make orange chicken in the crockpot today using G. Hughes sugar free orange ginger marinade.

I'm a very lazy cooker. I'm big on recipes that are easy and don't take a ton of prep.

That's what's so great about these, they are so easy. I just made taco meat like I usually would, and then put them in the cups and then topped with my favorite toppings. Just changes up how you eat tacos, and offers a crunchy element. Here are a couple different ones, but honestly you can put anything I there, like ground beef/bison/turkey burger seasoning, cheese and make it a hamburger wonton cup.

Here is the original recipe for buffalo chicken, I usually add blue cheese crumbles and will often just use ground chicken or turkey so I don't even have to deal with cutting up chicken, which I hate to do. https://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/skinny-buffalo-chicken-wonton-cups/

Last edited:
I'm finding it difficult to do cardio. I enjoy running, but will not, for safety reasons, run outside in the winter. Also, I'm currently not comfortable with going to the gym. Hopefully, by March, with increased daylight and warmer weather, I'll be able to run outside.

That's always the toughest part!
There's so many different types of exercises that I'd suggest trying different types until you find something that you like. Once you find something you like it's easier to stick with.

@Sarzar is right, there are so many different ways to get cardio, and you might find you really like it. Have you ever considered boxing or kickboxing? It's a killer cardio workout and you get to punch stuff. :)

That sounds delicious. I don't mind the complicated recipes when I have time, but usually I am looking for something that is fairly easy, I don't always want to be chopping veggies for an hour before I can even start cooking.

As I mentioned, I hate cutting up chicken, so I often make this orange ground chicken or Turkey recipe https://emilybites.com/2021/02/orange-ground-turkey.html. It's really good, and could totally go in a wonton cup too!

Also, aside from wonton cups, I love doing egg roll wrappers in the Air Fryer too, but the wonton cups are less work.

284...284...that is 99 lbs I'm so close to 100 lbs down. I bet this last pound takes what will seen like forever. I know I can get back to a faster drop once I'm cleared for activities on Feb 4 by my Dr.

Been slacking on the workouts a bit. Started speed training so getting something in at least plus playing 3 times a week. But been very good with sticking to my IF and broke the 210 barrier last week and have held it under there for the last 8 days. Requested my Dr run blood work since it's been awhile and I will be at 3 months of better eating and exercise and sleep.

maintaining pretty well at 208-209. Feb 7th is the start of my weight cut to get under 200. looking forward to hitting that goal.

I guess I’m ready to join the thread. During the pandemic I got as heavy as 250, which is a HUGE number for my frame. I was having associated health issue - couldn’t sleep, acid reflux, etc. - and I was miserable in my own skin. Entirely by accident I met someone who is an Optavia coach. One day she asked me if I was okay (really okay, not the casual “how are you doing?”) and for some reason I actually paused to consider my answer, which was “No, I really am not okay.” Looking back I think I see signs of clinical depression, but also I was still way too heavy (243), clothes didn’t fit, I really wasn’t happy, etc. She told me about the program and asked me if I was interested. I wasn’t. I figured it was a gimmick. I then realized everything I’d done to that point led me to the place I was and kind of figured I might as well try something different. So I went for it. It has been a whopping 2 weeks. I’m down 12 lbs, 2” in the hips, additional inches in the waist, chest, thigh, etc. But most importantly something transformational happened with my mental health. After a few days I actually started to feel happy. I almost don’t remember the last time that was true. More energy. I’m sleeping well. It’s been REALLY good. Anyway…this is NOT a sales pitch for the program. It’s merely my back story, and the beginning of my health and wellness program (not diet). I’m now comfortable being in this thread.

I hope everyone has success using whatever technique or program you are using. Get well, everyone!

Last edited:
I guess I’m ready to join the thread. During the pandemic I got as heavy as 250, which is a HUGE number for my frame. I was having associated health issue - couldn’t sleep, acid reflux, etc. - and I was miserable in my own skin. Entirely by accident I met someone who is an Optavia coach. One day she asked me if I was okay (really okay, not the casual “how are you doing?”) and for some reason I actually paused to consider my answer, which was “No, I really am not okay.”. Looking back I think I see signs of clinical depression, but also I was still way too heavy (243j, clothes didn’t fit, I really wasn’t happy, etc. She told me about the program and asked me if I was interested. I wasn’t. I figured it was a gimmick. I then realized everything I’d done to that point led me to the place I was and kind of figured I might as well try something different. So I went for it. It has been a whopping 2 weeks. I’m down 12 lbs, 2” in the hips, additional inches in the waist, chest, thigh, etc. But most importantly something transformational happened with my mental health. After a few days I actually started to feel happy. I almost don’t remember the last time that was true. More energy. I’m sleeping well. It’s been REALLY good. Anyway…this is NOT a sales pitch for the program. It’s merely my back story, and the beginning of my health and wellness program (not diet). I’m now comfortable being in this thread.

I hope everyone has success using whatever technique or program you are using. Get well, everyone!

This is awesome! I love that you were self-aware and able to understand you NEEDED to change and you got after it.

Keep it up, this is a fantastic start.

I guess I’m ready to join the thread. During the pandemic I got as heavy as 250, which is a HUGE number for my frame. I was having associated health issue - couldn’t sleep, acid reflux, etc. - and I was miserable in my own skin. Entirely by accident I met someone who is an Optavia coach. One day she asked me if I was okay (really okay, not the casual “how are you doing?”) and for some reason I actually paused to consider my answer, which was “No, I really am not okay.”. Looking back I think I see signs of clinical depression, but also I was still way too heavy (243j, clothes didn’t fit, I really wasn’t happy, etc. She told me about the program and asked me if I was interested. I wasn’t. I figured it was a gimmick. I then realized everything I’d done to that point led me to the place I was and kind of figured I might as well try something different. So I went for it. It has been a whopping 2 weeks. I’m down 12 lbs, 2” in the hips, additional inches in the waist, chest, thigh, etc. But most importantly something transformational happened with my mental health. After a few days I actually started to feel happy. I almost don’t remember the last time that was true. More energy. I’m sleeping well. It’s been REALLY good. Anyway…this is NOT a sales pitch for the program. It’s merely my back story, and the beginning of my health and wellness program (not diet). I’m now comfortable being in this thread.

Proud of you for making that commitment to yourself and finding happiness again.
Keep up the great work. We're all here cheering you on.

@Sarzar is right, there are so many different ways to get cardio, and you might find you really like it. Have you ever considered boxing or kickboxing? It's a killer cardio workout and you get to punch stuff. :)

Thanks. I’m just used to running. I don’t run outside in winter for safety reasons. Normally, I would go the gym - has an indoor track or treadmills - but I haven’t been going to the gym because I’m not comfortable given the past and current state of things here. Until we get some more daylight and warmer weather, I’m limited in what I can do.

I think it takes that realization to really make changes. I was in the same boat, couldn't sleep, out of breathe walking up the stairs or tying my shoes, acid reflux, just overall felt like crap and decided I had to do something. Congrats on the weight loss, and continued success.

I would appreciate input on the workout front. I have a Planet Fitness membership. For the uninitiated, lots of machines, very few free weights, no(?) exercise classes. I get bored easily and I hate core workouts worse than shanking 3 putts.

Someone mentioned in the thread that the body gets used to its new normal and you have to change it up. My mind gets bored easily. I’d like to explore how to deal with this.

For the last 2 weeks I have been alternating days between cardio (treadmill) with I guess what you’d call circuit training. I feel the boredom starting. I’m wondering about 2 week intervals. There are rowing machines. Maybe that every other day + something…but what should I pair it with? And is there any version of core workout that might not suck as bad?

I think it takes that realization to really make changes. I was in the same boat, couldn't sleep, out of breathe walking up the stairs or tying my shoes, acid reflux, just overall felt like crap and decided I had to do something. Congrats on the weight loss, and continued success.
Thanks! I have had a lot of addiction in my family. From that experience I came to believe addicts have to hit their personal rock bottom - not societies sense of bad - before they are willing to want to change themselves. I think maybe I hit my personal rock bottom with health and fitness.

I got off to a bad start in January with a back issue and Covid followed by an 8 day trip for a sales meeting and a little vacation. I got back on things starting last Monday. I am eating paleo for a couple of months to reset the body a bit and started doing Fit for Golf mixed in with riding the Peloton on days I don’t do strength. Hopefully I can be disciplined enough and rebuild some strength in my back.

I would appreciate input on the workout front. I have a Planet Fitness membership. For the uninitiated, lots of machines, very few free weights, no(?) exercise classes. I get bored easily and I hate core workouts worse than shanking 3 putts.

Someone mentioned in the thread that the body gets used to its new normal and you have to change it up. My mind gets bored easily. I’d like to explore how to deal with this.

For the last 2 weeks I have been alternating days between cardio (treadmill) with I guess what you’d call circuit training. I feel the boredom starting. I’m wondering about 2 week intervals. There are rowing machines. Maybe that every other day + something…but what should I pair it with? And is there any version of core workout that might not suck as bad?

I have used an online trainer in the past to avoid what you are saying. Have someone program workouts for me keeps things fresh and kept me interested. I am trying out Fit for Golf right now. They have 3 or phases with different workouts. I am doing it at home but they have the stuff at Planet Fitness to do the workouts.

How awesome is this? I signed up for a new CSA and the farmer was at our local produce store, which is where I will be picking it up, and he gave me all this for free as a welcome to the CSA. Carrots, beets, cabbage, onion, spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, fresh salsa and fresh tomato juice cocktail to make tomato soup with.

83DB479C-89CA-4EC2-957E-C68172627B0B.jpeg

29D3D5AC-D94D-4CC7-BCA6-0EF04D3E7485.jpeg

06CAB228-579F-4039-9F98-296402131B0B.jpeg

Found all the flavors. Will report back with the results. The cheddar was meh.

Attachments

• PXL_20220129_215851279.jpg
    PXL_20220129_215851279.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1
The ranch ones were wayyyy too salty 🤦‍♂️

4D881510-8E29-44BC-8CF7-F6869340F200.jpeg
The chocolate coconut is pretty good. Will try the strawberry tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back