2022 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a bunch of meal prep done yesterday and now I have breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for almost the entire week.
I need to do this. Do you buy the containers?

Thanks for all the high protein suggestions. My main sources of protein are eggs, tuna, chicken, salmon, turkey, and stuff like beef jerky and mixed nuts for snacks.

I saw those cans of salmon at Costco today @tahoebum but wasn’t sure what I would make with them. Got any recipes or do you eat them plain? I also eat those tuna packs @Sarzar my favorites are Herb and garlic and lemon pepper.

I have kinda a weird work schedule (1p-12a) and as a result I only have 2 meals a day (11:30am, 6:30p). So it’s hard to hit my 158g protein goal with food sources. I’ve been judiciously tracking my macros in MFP for about a month and usually fall around 30-50g short each day.

That’s why I’ve been looking into drinks and bars. Again I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I’ll keep the thread updated on what I figure out.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the high protein suggestions. My main sources of protein are eggs, tuna, chicken, salmon, turkey, and stuff like beef jerky and mixed nuts for snacks.

I saw those cans of salmon at Costco today @tahoebum but wasn’t sure what I would make with them. Got any recipes or do you eat them plain? I also eat those tuna packs @Sarzar my favorites are Herb and garlic and lemon pepper.

I have kinda a weird work schedule (1p-12a) and as a result I only have 2 meals a day (11:30am, 6:30p). So it’s hard to hit my 158g protein goal with food sources. I’ve been judiciously tracking my macros in MFP for about a month and usually fall around 30-50g short each day.

That’s why I’ve been looking into drinks and bars. Again I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I’ll keep the thread updated on what I figure out.
Fairlife core power has a decent amount of protein in it as a drink if you have a fridge or cooler around that you can keep it in.

Thanks for the tips. The workout routines are varied in that there is a 'Workout A, Workout B, and Workout C' routine for Fit for Golf. Where I could switch it up is with my nighttime workouts on Tues/Fri. I do those while at work and have been just doing 30 min elliptical and 20 min doing the same strength exercises with weights. I will change that around this week. Maybe 30 min on the treadmill on an incline and do different weight exercises.

I've never thought about switching up the diet though but that could be great. I don't necessarily mind eating the same lean high protein things but some variety would be nice to have for a bit. I could certainly play around with macros too as I've come to learn a lot about them over the past couple of weeks. Sounds fun.

I really appreciate your input!
Another way to change things up is to replace some of the "30 minutes aerobic" with a HIIT session (10 minutes max, typically). From the research I've seen, Doing 4-5 all out sprints (20 seconds) and walking/recovery for 30-60 seconds will do more for your weight loss and health goals than a ton of low/moderate aerobic activity.

You don't have to do a ton of these either: 2-3 per week is fine

I haven’t tried that before, sorry. But, protein bars have come a long way, there are a lot of them out there that don’t have that thick mouthfeel, I can’t stand those either. If you like wafer style, try Power Crunch, they have some really solid flavors, and you can pick up a box at your local grocery store, Walmart and target. That’s just 1 example too, there are a lot out there. I try different ones all the time. I despise Quest bars, can’t stomach them, and I know that’s what most people think of when they think of bars.

Protein powder, as far as flavors, have come a long way too, and right now I am enjoying the ready to drink shakes that are plant protein based because I can’t really do dairy, I’m lactose intolerant.

Sometimes you can go to your local nutrition store and they will have sample packs of protein powder that you can try before you buy a big thing of it. That might be a good way to go first.

I also bet people in here can offer some suggestions on their favorite bars and protein powders or ready to drink. I know a lot of people like the Fairlife ones, and you can buy those at Costco and Sam’s.
I never tried Quest protein bars. Like most posts here I’m not a fan of any protein bars:
Bad tasting and usually too much sugars and other crap.

But I bought a few bags of these Quest Protein chips at Walmart and they’re not bad. Taste is like eating Doritos/typical chips but only 140 calories and 19 grams of protein. Ingredients look pretty clean.

They’re expensive though
1642514455761.jpeg
1642514494376.jpeg

Last edited:
So I've gone back and forth and finally decided to talk about real numbers because it was pretty embarrassing honestly. I played offensive guard in high school and weighed in at 298lb. I was overweight but fit, had an mcl injury my junior year and the downfall started. I hovered around 320ish until I got into the restaurant industry. Horrible hours, drinking, and awful eating habits had me at 340ish but I was active for 12 hours plus a day and sweat a lot.
I got a desk job at a bank in 2014 and my bad habits plus a sedentary life add in covid in 2019 sitting at home eating whenever and I got to 383.7 lbs. I could barely walk up the stairs, couldn't finish a round of golf even with a cart, and just felt awful. Wore a size 50 waist and a 4xl shirt. May of 2021 got tired of it and stared intermittent fasting and being active. I am now a 44 waist, 2xl shirt, and weigh 290.1 as of yesterday. Still overweight but feel so much better and want to get to 225. I had surgery on Dec 30 so I'm trying to maintain and a lose a little if I can with just diet until I am allowed to be active again.
My resting heart rate was 95 when I started it is now 61, walking up the stairs my heart rate would be over 120 :eek:. So yeah there's my actual start, current, and goal.

Awesome progress! 91 lb down is amazing, dude! 61 HR is nice too.

Love posts like this! If you can do it, I know I can do this too. Keep up the great work!

I never tried Quest protein bars. Like most posts here I’m not a fan of any protein bars:

But I bought a few bags of these Quest Protein chips at Walmart and they’re not bad. Taste is like eating Doritos/typical chips but only 140 calories and 19 grams of protein. Ingredients look pretty clean.

They’re expensive though
View attachment 9060692
View attachment 9060693

Josh loves those, and that flavor is actually pretty good. I try to stay away from processed stuff like that, but that is 100% a personal preference based on health issues I have. For a crunchy, high protein snack, those are great.

For anyone in here looking for motivation. 10 years makes a big difference. If I can do it, you can too.

View attachment 9060648
Impressive! Night & Day difference.

OK, now I have a new goal: Post a "before & after" reveal on this thread. Thanks for the inspiration!

I normally use it like canned tuna to make some variation of a salmon salad sandwich but sometimes when tryin to lose weight I'll just eat the salmon plain. Here's a good recipe for salmon patties which I prefer to use Sockeye salmon fresh or canned.

Josh loves those, and that flavor is actually pretty good. I try to stay away from processed stuff like that, but that is 100% a personal preference based on health issues I have. For a crunchy, high protein snack, those are great.
I totally agree - avoiding processed food is a great idea!

I wouldn't make these part of my everyday eating plan - but when you're in the mood for a snack, they're a decent "cheat" without really cheating.

I totally agree - avoiding processed food is a great idea!

I wouldn't make these part of my everyday eating plan - but when you're in the mood for a snack, they're a decent "cheat" without really cheating.

I 100% agree! I have arthritis issues, so I try to eat as clean as possible to eliminate any unnecessary inflammation.

I'm a Protein Bar Conusur.
Tried them all - my current favorite is Quest Chocolate Sprinkled Doughnut. Satisfies my "Sweet Tooth" for Doughnuts - Almost....
I tried the ones that @GolferGal likes - Think they are Plant based protein, they were good, I'd buy them again.

Just watch the Fiber content. Some of these bars are all protein, no fiber and aren't the best if your not "Pounding the Gym" plus the "Net Carbs" can be non existent.

The Fat content can get up there as well. My morning Atkins bar has 15 grams of fat in it.
I started to find that when I put my meals in to MFP, my Fat intake was getting up there...

The Fairlife chocolate protein drink might be a good option for making up that last 30 g protein. It tastes decent - doesn't upset my stomach. I don't use it every day, but it's a good option when I'm in a hurry
1642516479137.png

I normally use it like canned tuna to make some variation of a salmon salad sandwich but sometimes when tryin to lose weight I'll just eat the salmon plain. Here's a good recipe for salmon patties which I prefer to use Sockeye salmon fresh or canned.

Love me some salmon patties! I need to tweak this recipe - I'm looking for a way to replace the bread crumbs with a non-gluten alternative.

I have always used an electric griddle to cook my salmon patties (back when "fat free" was the goal). Might be time to go back to how my mom made them - pan-fried like this recipe

You know, another option is to track your calories. Maybe if you are seeing it, it might do somethign in your brain to make you realize you don't really need all that food. Just throwing ideas out there, not sure if any are helpful, but just random thoughts that came to my mind. I'm normally not a big proponent of strict calorie counting because I think it can be counterproductive for some people, but for others it's an amazing tool to help them.

I've tracked calories before and that never seemed to help, to be honest.

So last night I went home for dinner and looked at my plate and made the decision to start filling from the center (we had pasta, not the greatest when it comes to carbs) and stop long before I got to the raised sides. I also made sure to fill my salad bowl with more cukes and carrots than usual, and used low fat vinaigrette dressing. I had seconds of the pasta, but less than usual.

If I'm going to make changes then I need to hold myself accountable. So posting here is going to do that for me. I don't need to lose a lot of weight, but I DO need to get from 193-195 to 185 and keep it there so my knee will hold up and I can put off a replacement as long as possible.

They’re expensive though
View attachment 9060692
View attachment 9060693
Will be buying these for sure!

I've tracked calories before and that never seemed to help, to be honest.

So last night I went home for dinner and looked at my plate and made the decision to start filling from the center (we had pasta, not the greatest when it comes to carbs) and stop long before I got to the raised sides. I also made sure to fill my salad bowl with more cukes and carrots than usual, and used low fat vinaigrette dressing. I had seconds of the pasta, but less than usual.

If I'm going to make changes then I need to hold myself accountable. So posting here is going to do that for me. I don't need to lose a lot of weight, but I DO need to get from 193-195 to 185 and keep it there so my knee will hold up and I can put off a replacement as long as possible.

I think it's great that you are continuing to try different things until you find one that works.

Another option is to eat smaller meals, more frequently throughout the day. That's my natural eating style, my parents called me a rabbit when I was a kid because I would graze all day. I tend to eat small meals all day, rather than super large meals all at once. Some say that's the way to do it because it keeps your blood sugar regulated all day, others say it makes them eat more. So many different things to try, but eventually you will find what works best for you.

So I have tried being more active the last couple of days, walking up and down the stairs and then i shoveled the driveway, and walk way for my wife to get to work yesterday and I weighed myself this morning and it is at 288.6 that is 95 lbs. I weighed myself twice like I always do to make sure the reading was correct.

They’re expensive though
View attachment 9060692
View attachment 9060693
The Fairlife chocolate protein drink might be a good option for making up that last 30 g protein. It tastes decent - doesn't upset my stomach. I don't use it every day, but it's a good option when I'm in a hurry
View attachment 9060698

quest bars are really good we keep a good supply of them around. I will always take one to the course with me. These fairlife shakes are the best shakes I use. Easy on the stomach and great taste. I grab them at Costco they also have a salted Carmel flavor!

I'm a Protein Bar Conusur.
Tried them all - my current favorite is Quest Chocolate Sprinkled Doughnut. Satisfies my "Sweet Tooth" for Doughnuts - Almost....
I tried the ones that @GolferGal likes - Think they are Plant based protein, they were good, I'd buy them again.

Just watch the Fiber content. Some of these bars are all protein, no fiber and aren't the best if your not "Pounding the Gym" plus the "Net Carbs" can be non existent.

The Fat content can get up there as well. My morning Atkins bar has 15 grams of fat in it.
I started to find that when I put my meals in to MFP, my Fat intake was getting up there...
What other brands of bars have you tried?
My go to are 1st phorm level-1 bars but I just recently had a Kodiak protein bar that was really good too.
I used to always eat the pure protein brand bars too but have gotten away from them.

What other brands of bars have you tried?
My go to are 1st phorm level-1 bars but I just recently had a Kodiak protein bar that was really good too.
I used to always eat the pure protein brand bars too but have gotten away from them.
One Protein bars - Maple Glazed Doughnut (See a theme here) and Birthday Cake
Pure Protein Bars - Birthday Cake (Was awful)
Big on Atkins - Satisfies craving for Chocolate.

One Protein bars - Maple Glazed Doughnut (See a theme here) and Birthday Cake
Pure Protein Bars - Birthday Cake (Was awful)
Big on Atkins - Satisfies craving for Chocolate.
I'm a sucker for all the chocolate flavors (milk or dark - not white).
I love funfetti cakes/cupcakes but was never a fan of the birthday cake flavored bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back