2022 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a diet change. I hate it, but this change is needed. I've had IBS type of symptoms for awhile. I am working through a FODMAP approach to figuring out the foods I need to avoid. I won't complain if I lose a few pounds in the process.
I had to look up what this was. In case anyone else was wondering:

Low FODMAP diets work by reducing or eliminating problem foods that contain these types of carbohydrates. FODMAPs (Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols) are types of short-chain carbohydrates found in certain foods that are indigestible or poorly absorbed by certain people1. When FODMAPs aren’t absorbed correctly in the small intestine, they move through the digestive tract, producing an increased volume of liquid and gas in both the small and large intestine.2

Good luck with this.

I got one of these at the gas station on the way home tonight:
93400537-C50E-4CE2-80F3-B8217BC50B8A.jpeg
It’s a no go for me. I think I’ve figured out that Whey Protein is just not for me. Everything I’ve tried with Whey leaves me with that ‘milkshake’ coating in my mouth I can’t stand. I don’t even like real milkshakes so no chance I’m going to subject myself to it for nutrition.

I’m very interested in the plant protein options like Pea Protein to see if they have that same aftertaste. I’m off work tomorrow so going to try and find a nutrition store with samples or small boxes.

View attachment 9060926
It’s a no go for me. I think I’ve figured out that Whey Protein is just not for me. Everything I’ve tried with Whey leaves me with that ‘milkshake’ coating in my mouth I can’t stand. I don’t even like real milkshakes so no chance I’m going to subject myself to it for nutrition.

I’m very interested in the plant protein options like Pea Protein to see if they have that same aftertaste. I’m off work tomorrow so going to try and find a nutrition store with samples or small boxes.

Try One Bar chocolate peanut butter and churro plant based bars. With One bars you have to make sure it’s the plant based ones, they make both. I really like IQ bars, and another decent one is Aloha (but not their mint flavor, that one is disgusting), all are plant based and you can find all of those at Walmart and other stores. You can also try Tone It Up bars, you can find them at Target and I think Walmart, they are also plant based. Do not get the cookies though, they are awful.

I saw this video on an Instagram Reel with the text "Trying to eat healthy after all those good holiday breakfast" 😂
I can relate! But luckily, I make protein waffles that are macro friendly & delicious!

Try One Bar chocolate peanut butter and churro plant based bars. With One bars you have to make sure it’s the plant based ones, they make both. I really like IQ bars, and another decent one is Aloha (but not their mint flavor, that one is disgusting), all are plant based and you can find all of those at Walmart and other stores. You can also try Tone It Up bars, you can find them at Target and I think Walmart, they are also plant based. Do not get the cookies though, they are awful.
I liked the IQ Bars that I bought - I'd buy them again.

So my goal is to drop 20lbs this year & I know that it starts with proper meal planning & exercise. I have the exercise portion down...well at least I think I do, but need to start meal planning better. Less intake on the alcoholic beer calories will be key for me.

So my goal is to drop 20lbs this year & I know that it starts with proper meal planning & exercise. I have the exercise portion down...well at least I think I do, but need to start meal planning better. Less intake on the alcoholic beer calories will be key for me.
For meal planning/prepping I like to follow the palm/fist/fist rule...
A palm full of protein.
A fist size of carbs & a fist size of veggies.
A thumb size of fats.
These are relevant to each meal and help with portioning out your meals.

I try to have 4-6oz of protein at each meal which equates to about 20-30g and fill in my portions around that.

Fairlife core power has a decent amount of protein in it as a drink if you have a fridge or cooler around that you can keep it in.
I like the Fairlife Elite Power. It is available in vanilla and chocolate, too. It tastes so much better than muscle milk shakes.
1642766057403.png

View attachment 9060926

Robert Irvine make's protein bars lol. I give you props for even trying it, because I wouldn't trust much of what he does.

Robert Irvine make's protein bars lol. I give you props for even trying it, because I wouldn't trust much of what he does.

His Protein Bars are actually really good. Macros are pretty solid too.

I’m on a plateau. I know I’ll be off it in a day or so but it’s still frustrating. The good news is that I’m down 14 since December 9.

I’m on a plateau. I know I’ll be off it in a day or so but it’s still frustrating. The good news is that I’m down 14 since December 9.
Have you tried mixing things up with your exercise routine or your nutrition?
More resistance trading over cardio, more water intake?
Have you measured progress different ways besides just the scale to see if things are still moving in the right direction even if weight isn't necessarily showing that?

Well, 2022 started out horrible in the nutrition and fitness aspect to me. I went to the gym one time, then felt a little under the weather and then bam, covid. So starting back today. I lost a lot of my strength though is part of the frustrating part and all I wanted to do while sitting in quarantine was eat! But I started on the eating better aspect yesterday and back to the gym today since yesterday was my last day of quarantine. Will have to work my way back to lifting where I was, but I will get there. Well, at least a lot of the people that set new years resolutions should be fazing out of the gym, lol. Not that I wish anyone to quit on their goals, but you seat it every year. Gym gets packed the first month or two and then back to normal.

Well, 2022 started out horrible in the nutrition and fitness aspect to me. I went to the gym one time, then felt a little under the weather and then bam, covid. So starting back today. I lost a lot of my strength though is part of the frustrating part and all I wanted to do while sitting in quarantine was eat! But I started on the eating better aspect yesterday and back to the gym today since yesterday was my last day of quarantine. Will have to work my way back to lifting where I was, but I will get there. Well, at least a lot of the people that set new years resolutions should be fazing out of the gym, lol. Not that I wish anyone to quit on their goals, but you seat it every year. Gym gets packed the first month or two and then back to normal.
You got this! Being sick & having to take time off makes for a very humbling experience when you get back into it (at least it did for me).
Just remember, to ease back into it. You don't want to over due it and hurt yourself or get sick again.

You got this! Being sick & having to take time off makes for a very humbling experience when you get back into it (at least it did for me).
Just remember, to ease back into it. You don't want to over due it and hurt yourself or get sick again.
For sure. It was humbling this morning as I did my usual core workout in my office. I reduced my numbers of each exercise just because I knew my strength wasn't what it was a month ago, and even then, I was like, dang...very humbling for sure. I'll get back to to it though. Excited to just get to go to the gym today and be out of the house.

Have you tried mixing things up with your exercise routine or your nutrition?
More resistance trading over cardio, more water intake?
Have you measured progress different ways besides just the scale to see if things are still moving in the right direction even if weight isn't necessarily showing that?
Honestly, I know I should've changed some things up but I didn't. At least, not in a good way. I went a little crazy snacking over the weekend. Some good snacks but some full of carbs. Yesterday was a pretty good day, nutrition-wise. Today, I'll try to be better.

The waist of my pants are a little looser, so I've got that going for me!

Honestly, I know I should've changed some things up but I didn't. At least, not in a good way. I went a little crazy snacking over the weekend. Some good snacks but some full of carbs. Yesterday was a pretty good day, nutrition-wise. Today, I'll try to be better.

The waist of my pants are a little looser, so I've got that going for me!
So one bad meal here and there isn't gonna make or break your progress. You may just have some water retention, I wouldn't necessarily say a plateau though.
Sometimes the scale doesn't move but you can find other points of progress.

That's great to hear your pants a fitting looser! That's an awesome non scale victory!

I was able to sneak out this morning for a round of golf, walking 18. Not great conditions with just above freezing temps, but with no wind, it was a pleasant walk. Bonus points for golf.

Cutting back on carbs in the morning has me down about 10 pounds from late autumn. I am pretty happy with that.

I found the IQ bars at the grocery store yesterday they had some for sale individually so I got one.
075AA2FC-85D8-4EF6-B7A7-B1B4043A6335.jpeg
It was sooooo much better than the other Whey protein bars I’ve tried. No milkshake thick aftertaste at all. Plant protein is certainly the way forward for me. Thanks for the suggestion @GolferGal

I’m really curious to try their other flavors and explore plant protein more now!

I found the IQ bars at the grocery store yesterday they had some for sale individually so I got one.
View attachment 9063124
It was sooooo much better than the other Whey protein bars I’ve tried. No milkshake thick aftertaste at all. Plant protein is certainly the way forward for me. Thanks for the suggestion @GolferGal

I’m really curious to try their other flavors and explore plant protein more now!

I am so happy you liked it. I will warn you some plant based stuff will truly taste like dirt, but I always liked these, and the ingredients are super clean too. I just bought some more this weekend. I have liked all the flavors from them that I have tried. Not sure if you will like them, but the Tone It Up bars are more like a rice crispy treat type texture and are totally plant based too. You can find those at just about any grocery store or nutrition store.

I am so happy you liked it. I will warn you some plant based stuff will truly taste like dirt, but I always liked these, and the ingredients are super clean too. I just bought some more this weekend. I have liked all the flavors from them that I have tried. Not sure if you will like them, but the Tone It Up bars are more like a rice crispy treat type texture and are totally plant based too. You can find those at just about any grocery store or nutrition store.
I will say the IQ bar I had could stand to be just a tad sweeter but i did enjoy it. Maybe one of the fruit flavors would provide a bit more sweet. I’ve got an Amazon tab up now to figure out what flavor I want to order.

Rice crispy treat protein sounds good too I’ll keep an eye out for those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back