2022 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know all about that, I was just stating for people who are keto or low carb that it is a carb. I don’t believe in any of that, I’m not a restrictive diet person, but I know many are.

Also, more power to you that you can eat that chickpea pasta, I eat a lot of interesting healthy stuff, but I took one bite of that and spit it out. Not for me, no thank you. 😂

it is a carb. but so are green beans and vegitables in general. not directing my comment at you at all but I think the world at large is confused by terms like low carb and keto. The result is many think they need to take extreme positions that are likely not sustainable. for instance, one can be in a keto state and being eating some level of carbs. Our digestive systems dont' know what we put in our mouth or what we call it only what it disolves into.

it is a carb. but so are green beans and vegitables in general. not directing my comment at you at all but I think the world at large is confused by terms like low carb and keto. The result is many think they need to take extreme positions that are likely not sustainable. for instance, one can be in a keto state and being eating some level of carbs. Our digestive systems dont' know what we put in our mouth or what we call it only what it disolves into.

Oh, I completely agree. As I stated I don’t believe in those “diets”, I am not afraid of carbs, I don’t restrict what I eat, I just make a conscious effort to eat nutritious things that fuel my body. I totally agree, I wish more people would understand how carbs work rather than thinking they are the devil.

Not sure how to frame my response but yes, so much yes to your post.

So many people get 'holier than thou' when talking about this stuff. We all know, we all get it - everyone has a different thought process though and makes their own decisions. If people are really interested they will read and they can tell how many x, y or z is in a food. I fully agree with you.

Not sure how to frame my response but yes, so much yes to your post.

So many people get 'holier than thou' when talking about this stuff. We all know, we all get it - everyone has a different thought process though and makes their own decisions. If people are really interested they will read and they can tell how many x, y or z is in a food. I fully agree with you.

I think a conversation Saturday between the 17th and 18th hole really got me thinking about these terms. one of my golf 4-some guys said he was going home to eat a T-bone on his Keto diet. another friend who is in the group and trying to loose weight was listening. I went out of my way to tell T-bone he was not on a Keto diet or he should state how he eats and not term it. He did and it made the point. I did not want my friend who needs to loose weight to think he needed to eat meat only or some other poor characterization that would prevent him from improving his health..

chick peas have a glycemic index of 28 which means they are great carbs. Costco has a chickpea pasta that I buy from time to time to give me that bad carb sensation. Black beans are another good carb. Low glycemic means they disolve into the blood very slowly. it goes withotu saying that one can ruin the low carb meal by having garlic bread with it:(
Using pasta that is made from chick peas and lentils has been a game changer. To me, they taste the same and have the same texture as regular pasta. They seem to cook a little quicker, too. Definitely a go to item in the pantry now.

I’ve been thinking hard about starting to do weekly meal prep. Especially now that I’m entering my ‘danger zone’ of winter. I absolutely HATE the cold and tend to just eat whatever because the cold and early dark makes eating not good for me food ‘comfortable’.

I want to avoid this pitfall as best I can. Does anyone here already do weekly meal prep? Does it get too boring eating the same thing for each meal for a week? Got any good tips?

Let’s discuss it.

I’ve been thinking hard about starting to do weekly meal prep. Especially now that I’m entering my ‘danger zone’ of winter. I absolutely HATE the cold and tend to just eat whatever because the cold and early dark makes eating not good for me food ‘comfortable’.

I want to avoid this pitfall as best I can. Does anyone here already do weekly meal prep? Does it get too boring eating the same thing for each meal for a week? Got any good tips?

Let’s discuss it.
I do - not fully and all of the time but yes. Mostly because there is less time with the wife and 2 small kids to just do scratch cooking each day with our other activities.

I tend to do two big meals and then split them into other things.

Example - full chicken cooked on Sunday - eat what we want and shred the rest
Monday - chicken taco's - if I was able I'll make the taco meat on Sunday if we are both home or it's quick on Monday
Tuesday - chicken salad - I'll make on Monday evening after the kids go to bed so it can rest for the night
Wednesday - Cook a roast with mashed potatoes
Thursday - Open faced sandwiches
Friday - Pizza or pasta (remember 2 small kids) or whatever other leftovers we have around from lunches.
Saturday - Cut up the rest and make chili for the weekend - that would include making ground beef
Sunday - Use non chili beef to make sloppy joes (Cook a ham)
Monday - use leftover buns for ham sliders in the oven

so on and so on and so on... I'm always planning my next meal based upon my previous nights leftovers.

That's what I do

I'm not as big of a make a lasagna and eat it for 4 days as some people. I'll make a big serving of a proteins and then swap what I want to do with it.

I'm not as big of a make a lasagna and eat it for 4 days as some people. I'll make a big serving of a proteins and then swap what I want to do with it.
Yes, I think the make a bunch of protein and then switch up preparations is ideal. I’m just not sure if that works for me most of the week. Due to my later work schedule (1p-12a) I’m eating 2 meals outside of the house several times a week.

It seems easier for me to prepare one type of dish for my 4 dinners at work a week then maybe use the extra meat for variations the other 3 days.

I appreciate the feedback! Some really solid ideas!

Yes, I think the make a bunch of protein and then switch up preparations is ideal. I’m just not sure if that works for me most of the week. Due to my later work schedule (1p-12a) I’m eating 2 meals outside of the house several times a week.

It seems easier for me to prepare one type of dish for my 4 dinners at work a week then maybe use the extra meat for variations the other 3 days.

I appreciate the feedback! Some really solid ideas!

Depending on what you have for tupperware - do this.

Make and freeze a bunch of individual things. We have these little pans where you can make two enchilada's and just cook it and freeze and little bowls where you can make lasagna and freeze. I did that with our 2nd baby because it was a lot to do it each night until she was a bit older.

Freezer meals and then you can do a bulk prep and bake and then just take them out of the freezer before you go to work or the day before and let it thaw and heat it up for dinner at work.

Hot Dishes
Pastas
are both easy to bulk make and separate as well if you don't have a lot of small baking containers.

Using pasta that is made from chick peas and lentils has been a game changer. To me, they taste the same and have the same texture as regular pasta. They seem to cook a little quicker, too. Definitely a go to item in the pantry now.

this pasta needs like maybe 5 min of boil time then it starts to get nasty. I think products like this and all the claimed keto friendly foods make eating lower sugar so much easier then say 2003 when many of these ideas became mainstream. I was in the weightlifting scene in the 1980's and to get cutup we at tunafish, eggs and cottage cheese . We were 18 so we dispensed with the veggies. What a boring diet; yuck

Maybe I have to give it another try, but I tried the chickpea pasta once and literally spit it out and then threw it away, I absolutely hated it. I thought it tasted terrible.

Chickpea's are also known as garbanzo beans, it's what you make hummus from. They are high in fiber and natural plant protein, and not just that but a complete protein, which is very hard to find from plant based foods, so they are quite nutritious. For people watching carbs, they are a high in carbs though.

I appreciate the info. And I apologize to everyone. Y'all are serious into this. I just posted that recipe and didn't think about anything. I just thought the pic looked tasty. I won't be posting any more recipes without researching the info for it.

I made the salad and it's pretty tasty. My kid really likes it and I'll be making it again in the future.

I went into the office on Monday for the first time in a while. about 10am they celbrated something and small cakes and stuff sitting out all morning. it took will power not to touch it. i had two thoughts. (1) if I give in it will never stop, (2) the cakes were relatively healthy (not dounuts) but still effectively poisen if we define poisen as something that will fill your blood with suger and have you craving more in 45 minutes or less.

in a small group text with some buddies later we got into a dialog that virtually everything we the public eats that is convient is bad for us but it is what everybody eats. Given that, the amount of will power to eat good things over a long period of time is very high. Takes a mental model change to sustain in my opinion.

It could be a perspective change that may help... you might get a food aversion though.

Were they store bought desserts? If not, then, have you seen the kitchens they were prepared in? I'm not eating anything that didn't come from a store if someone brings food in. Sorry. Not sorry. I've got "issues" and I'm not ashamed to admit it. If I haven't seen the kitchen and know it's clean, I ain't chancing it. Same reason I won't bring in food to my coworkers. I know my dirt. I'm ok with it. I'm not offended if no one eats what I bring but I won't give them the chance to.:)

Let’s discuss it.

I'm thinking of it. I'm tired of PB&J sammiches and a snack pack of cheetos. Well, not the cheetos. Those are good. But PB&J. Ick I've had them for like a month straight. I've been cruising instagram and following meal prep and healthier stuff to eat.

this pasta needs like maybe 5 min of boil time then it starts to get nasty. I think products like this and all the claimed keto friendly foods make eating lower sugar so much easier then say 2003 when many of these ideas became mainstream. I was in the weightlifting scene in the 1980's and to get cutup we at tunafish, eggs and cottage cheese . We were 18 so we dispensed with the veggies. What a boring diet; yuck

What do you mean it starts to get nasty?

I appreciate the info. And I apologize to everyone. Y'all are serious into this. I just posted that recipe and didn't think about anything. I just thought the pic looked tasty. I won't be posting any more recipes without researching the info for it.

I made the salad and it's pretty tasty. My kid really likes it and I'll be making it again in the future.

It could be a perspective change that may help... you might get a food aversion though.

Were they store bought desserts? If not, then, have you seen the kitchens they were prepared in? I'm not eating anything that didn't come from a store if someone brings food in. Sorry. Not sorry. I've got "issues" and I'm not ashamed to admit it. If I haven't seen the kitchen and know it's clean, I ain't chancing it. Same reason I won't bring in food to my coworkers. I know my dirt. I'm ok with it. I'm not offended if no one eats what I bring but I won't give them the chance to.:)

I'm thinking of it. I'm tired of PB&J sammiches and a snack pack of cheetos. Well, not the cheetos. Those are good. But PB&J. Ick I've had them for like a month straight. I've been cruising instagram and following meal prep and healthier stuff to eat.

Nothing serious at all, you said you think it’s healthy so I was just offering some info on chickpeas, which are healthy. I love to learn, I am constantly reading about things, I am a proud nerd haha, and I love to share any knowledge I might have, that’s all it was.

Nothing serious at all, you said you think it’s healthy so I was just offering some info on chickpeas, which are healthy. I love to learn, I am constantly reading about things, I am a proud nerd haha, and I love to share any knowledge I might have, that’s all it was.

I know I'm liking some of the stuff I saw in instagram... low calorie burritos and stuff. I'm not following the glycemic index or anything like that though. I just want to eat healthier than open the box and hit the "burrito" button on the microwave

After being sick for 2 weeks, I’m down almost 15 pounds. 🤷‍♂️

I cooked it like normal pasta the first time and I noticed around minute ~6 that it starts to break down. You will no longer see clear water and the pasta is mushy.

yes, I likely should have read the directions and will the next time.

Going down to 2 meals a day. No lunch. I do that on weekends so I'm just going to carry it over to during the week. I eat a healthy breakfast and dinner, although later than I'd like, is home cooked and nutritious.

years before we thought about loosing weight we picked up that habit frequently on weekends. for my wife and I, a 9am breakfast with say a 4:30pm dinner is and was a great balance of not feeling we are restricting calories but really we are.. a meal before 5pm and breakfast the next day at 9am is a nice mini-fast as well.

years before we thought about loosing weight we picked up that habit frequently on weekends. for my wife and I, a 9am breakfast with say a 4:30pm dinner is and was a great balance of not feeling we are restricting calories but really we are.. a meal before 5pm and breakfast the next day at 9am is a nice mini-fast as well.

Mine will be a bit different.

Breakfast is about 5.30am and dinner some time between 8.30 and 9pm because of the hours I work. I'm going to have a boiled egg halfway through, but I don't consider it lunch.

This is a very solid weight loss method. I was doing 18/6 intermittent fasting. Instead of just the two meals I was eating all of my 1900 calories in the 6 hours I had for food.

I did that for around 2 months and dropped around 20 lb. I quit doing it when the golf season started and I was walking the course several times a week. By that point I needed way more than 1900 calories to just maintain my weight.

I will probably go back to the fast this winter.

This is a very solid weight loss method. I was doing 18/6 intermittent fasting. Instead of just the two meals I was eating all of my 1900 calories in the 6 hours I had for food.

I did that for around 2 months and dropped around 20 lb. I quit doing it when the golf season started and I was walking the course several times a week. By that point I needed way more than 1900 calories to just maintain my weight.

I will probably go back to the fast this winter.
I still do it, 1800 to 2k calories a day and it still works for me. It just helps not over eating for me, i dont know if i believe in all the health benefits of actually fasting.

Also @GolferGal my wife grabbed the Chobani Zero Sugar since they had a crazy sale locally instead of the light and fit that I have been eating and man my stomach is tore up. It has 20 less calories than light and fit and i love the way it tastes but man I can't do it. I have to go back to light and fit.

Stepped on the scale and didn't like the number I saw. I've been way too undisciplined with my eating since our beach trip. Time to get back to it

Wife saw some new rice crispy treats that are only 90 calories, vegan, and made with pumpkin seeds chia seeds and sunflour seeds along with puffed rice...why? They arent good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back