2023 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often wonder if I had small kids how hard it would be to stay on track. I always tell myself my kids would learn to eat what I tell them, but I feel like that is much easier said from the outside looking in.
I think early on, kids definitely will eat what you put in front of them. My 3 and 5 year olds though? They just don't have any interest in eating anything but "snacks". Actually meals aren't in their repetoire.

Got it. I gave up on making a good “chicken chili” a while ago. I like subbing for ground beef and going the traditional route.

I’ve gotten away from the protein shakes and bars the last few weeks as well, focusing on whole foods. Realized I was leaning too much on supplements and not actually eating enough. Feel so much better and have had some great days in the gym as a result.
Same here! It was so easy to just grab a bar and go, but I never really felt satisfied. So now I only eat them on occasion, usually as a dessert if I'm craving something sweet that isn't fruit. I didn't put 2 and 2 together, but I have felt so much better in the gym lately, I wonder if eating more whole food has a part in that?

And I'm with you, I think I have given up on "chicken chili", I much prefer to just switch up the meat in traditional chili. I like doing bison sometimes, ground chicken, ground turkey, and ground beef still too, whatever I happen to have in the freezer.

It didn't help that after cutting everything out for two weeks (and avoiding soda withdrawal headaches for the first time), I got frustrated. Gained wait while abstaining from everything.....

So I went to the store and bought the largest bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms I could find, and bags of Swedish Berries, Sour Patch Kids, and Fuzzy Peaches, and a huge bag of corn nuts...... all washed down with pepsi. Just rage eating.

Maybe I am stressed or something? I don't know. But would be better served eating some fruit than a handful of candy (I can definitely notice being more moody with the candy).
Oh man you really did go all in. I've been there, many, many, many times! Always feel like complete crap after too.
And here I am upping my calories for the next 6 weeks…
I'm still in a fat loss stage while also trying to gain muscle. Up until this last cut I wasn't hungry at all, but we have gradually decreased my calories from 1500 to 1450 to now I'm at 1400 for the next 2 weeks and this one has been a bit more challenging. Once I hit my body fat goal then we will gradually bring my calories back up to maintenance. I'm going to guess that is going to be around 1800 or so, that's what I was at last time and it was working.
I think early on, kids definitely will eat what you put in front of them. My 3 and 5 year olds though? They just don't have any interest in eating anything but "snacks". Actually meals aren't in their repetoire.
My nephew who is 4 is the same way. He never wants an actual meal, just snacks. The kid could live off ZBars and apple sauce packets.

Same here! It was so easy to just grab a bar and go, but I never really felt satisfied. So now I only eat them on occasion, usually as a dessert if I'm craving something sweet that isn't fruit. I didn't put 2 and 2 together, but I have felt so much better in the gym lately, I wonder if eating more whole food has a part in that?

And I'm with you, I think I have given up on "chicken chili", I much prefer to just switch up the meat in traditional chili. I like doing bison sometimes, ground chicken, ground turkey, and ground beef still too, whatever I happen to have in the freezer.
I don’t use a nutrition coach, but have gotten to be good friends with a personal trainer at my gym and we got on the subject of whole foods vs supplements. Essentially, the body absorbs protein from whole foods slower giving a steady release of amino acids overtime, vs rapidly absorbing the quick protein in a supplement.

I find that eating more whole foods gives me significantly more energy and feel better during my workout, and reserving supplements for post workout only for recovery.

I don’t use a nutrition coach, but have gotten to be good friends with a personal trainer at my gym and we got on the subject of whole foods vs supplements. Essentially, the body absorbs protein from whole foods slower giving a steady release of amino acids overtime, vs rapidly absorbing the quick protein in a supplement.

I find that eating more whole foods gives me significantly more energy and feel better during my workout, and reserving supplements for post workout only for recovery.
I 1000% agree.

I am WAY late to this party! Have loved catching up on everyone's struggles and progress.

A few years ago I had a major health scare (went into septic shock, tried to die thrice, spent 35 days in the hospital). I lost 54 lbs during my time in the hospital, including every bit of muscle tone I had, and then gained about 25 lbs over the next two years (hospital in 2019; weight gained 2020-2022). I decided in March that I was way too young to be ok with sub-par health: got my hormone levels in check, made small & sustainable changes to my eating habits, began experimenting with IF (like others), and have found sneaky success. I honestly didn't recognize the changes as they were happening, but woke up a few weeks ago and realized I had dropped about 40 lbs and 5" in my waist since March.

I have been a chronic yo-yo "dieter" most of my life, typically with good success but no chance for sustaining. This time I started IF, tried to limit (or even cut) seed oils and refined sugars, but allow myself what I want if I really want it. If I eat pizza/ice cream/candy/etc, I don't give it a second thought because it's not the norm. I have allowed myself to enjoy those things, but have only craved them occasionally. If the family goes out to eat, I make "smarter" (for me) choices but enjoy the meal. Recently I started working out with my two sons (16 &14), not lifting nearly as heavy as I used to, and it's allowed me to stay consistent since I'm not so sore I can't sneeze without tears.

I'm grateful for so many that have shared their stories here and for the inspiration and accountability that comes from it. Keep pushing, friends!

It didn't help that after cutting everything out for two weeks (and avoiding soda withdrawal headaches for the first time), I got frustrated. Gained wait while abstaining from everything.....

So I went to the store and bought the largest bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms I could find, and bags of Swedish Berries, Sour Patch Kids, and Fuzzy Peaches, and a huge bag of corn nuts...... all washed down with pepsi. Just rage eating.

Maybe I am stressed or something? I don't know. But would be better served eating some fruit than a handful of candy (I can definitely notice being more moody with the candy).

It's another day. Regroup and reattack. You can do this!

Made a pretty aggressive goal from Sept to Nov and barely hit it. It's been a huge mental and physical challenge, but I'm almost back to myself. Injuries really jacked me up last year and gave me an excuse to be lazy about diet/exercise.

Made a pretty aggressive goal from Sept to Nov and barely hit it. It's been a huge mental and physical challenge, but I'm almost back to myself. Injuries really jacked me up last year and gave me an excuse to be lazy about diet/exercise.
I've had a pretty terrible October, so set a goal from now until the end of January. I'm still down 30lbs since January of this year, but this last month I got lazy.

Came to what should have been a pretty obvious revelation this weekend that i'll never reach the level of golf that I want until I start taking proper care of myself. Started a diet today and joined a gym this weekend. I am at my heaviest weight i've ever been and need to get this under control.

Came to what should have been a pretty obvious revelation this weekend that i'll never reach the level of golf that I want until I start taking proper care of myself. Started a diet today and joined a gym this weekend. I am at my heaviest weight i've ever been and need to get this under control.
Get after it, dude! Dropping some weight earlier this year and lifting has helped my game a ton. I've slacked off the last month, but set a new goal for the next 3 months and I'm going to get after it as well!

I've had a pretty terrible October, so set a goal from now until the end of January. I'm still down 30lbs since January of this year, but this last month I got lazy.
So easy to do that unfortunately, especially as we get older.

I re-signed up for WW this morning. It worked great the last time I did it, so we shall see. I was doing great on fasting prior to my foot surgery last year but am up 15 lbs since that morning and have just never really gotten back down to that number or beyond(which is the goal).

After being back on track for a few weeks after a vacation (pronounced 'portion control') and adding weights, I am feeling good. Walking 18 was never an issue, but I felt less tired after this past weekend's rounds. Building strength and stamina has helped out. Hopefully the follow up numbers and blood work in the next few weeks will also be back on track.

On the recommendation of @GolferGal, I found the Good Culture Lactose Free Cottage Cheese this weekend. Game changer for hitting protein goals.

1 cup is 160 calories and 28g of protein, 5g fat and 6g carbs. That's nuts.

I used it in the egg white bites I made yesterday, and as a ricotta replacement for a turkey lasagna one pot dish I made for dinner. It's phenomenal.

On the recommendation of @GolferGal, I found the Good Culture Lactose Free Cottage Cheese this weekend. Game changer for hitting protein goals.

1 cup is 160 calories and 28g of protein, 5g fat and 6g carbs. That's nuts.

I used it in the egg white bites I made yesterday, and as a ricotta replacement for a turkey lasagna one pot dish I made for dinner. It's phenomenal.
Yay! So glad you liked it. I think it's by far the best lactose free cottage cheese out there. I always have it in the house. Publix didn't have it a few weeks ago and I damn near had a temper tantrum like a 2 year old, lol.

Yay! So glad you liked it. I think it's by far the best lactose free cottage cheese out there. I always have it in the house. Publix didn't have it a few weeks ago and I damn near had a temper tantrum like a 2 year old, lol.
I knew it was lean and high protein, but when I saw the label I was mindblown. 160 calories and 28g of protein is insane...and it was delicious!

So now, obviously, Im searching for things to use it for/sub it in.

I knew it was lean and high protein, but when I saw the label I was mindblown. 160 calories and 28g of protein is insane...and it was delicious!

So now, obviously, Im searching for things to use it for/sub it in.
I dream one day they sell it at Costco hahaha. I know they won't, but it would be amazing. I eat so much of that and greek yogurt, they are daily staples in my diet.

I dream one day they sell it at Costco hahaha. I know they won't, but it would be amazing. I eat so much of that and greek yogurt, they are daily staples in my diet.
Have you tried the lactose free sour cream?

I told my wife I wish Danon would sponsor me with how much greek yogurt I eat haha

I'm so happy for you!

I have, and it's great. I am a big fan of the brand.
I told my wife I wish Danon would sponsor me with how much greek yogurt I eat haha
Haha, seriously, me too, that would be amazing. Anytime it's BOGO at publix I buy like 6 of them, and have no problem finishing it before the expiration date.

Wait what?

Sour cream? I've never seen that. Cottage cheese yes, sour cream no!

Talk to me about this potential heavenly opportunity.

Costco brand here! Ha! Mix in Franks Red Hot and add Carnivore Chicken Crumbs to it! 42g protein, 7g carbs, 3g fat!

I just googled the magic of lactose free sour cream - no one around me sells it. That makes me very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back