2024 Irons/Approach Clubs: What Are You Looking For?

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Starting to get a full picture of what's available out on the market for 2024. What are you looking to change, if anything, as it relates to your full swing approach game this year? Maybe it's adding another hybrid, maybe it's going with more forgiving irons, maybe it's going with irons that offer more shot making capabilities. Also share if any particular products have caught your eye for a demo or purchase so far.

If I change anything it will be to an irons somewhere between my Apex DCB's and my blades/. A little lower launch and more spin. I can fixthe spin by changing balls, but a bit higher CG would be nice at times, especially in the wind.

I don’t anticipate many, if any changes in this area of the bag. I’d like to get new irons but I’m not sure if I will. If I do I’d like to get something with a smaller head like the apex Pros or T150s

Good question. As of right now, I'm not looking to make any changes but I reserve the right to flip flop on that. Last year I added a 4h back to the bag with a lot of success. This could be the year I add a 6h as well.

Only equipment changes in the irons are going to be an adjustment to the lie angle and a shaft change. I have the head I'm going to ride with, but I'm hoping with these adjustments I'll get smaller dispersion on approaches into greens.

As for longer clubs, I did hit the new Callaway UW and think it could be a good club on approach. I might look into it a bit more once I can hit it on grass. Initial shots off the mats were pretty good though.

Depending on my recovery and what my swing will be I will be seriously looking the Mizuno JPX923 pro or forged and well as the pro 225.

I’m kinda looking to change everything. Mostly because I need heavier shafts in everything.

I’m looking to keep my irons until at least 2025. I’m thinking of going full that guy with my current set. Individually setting swing weight with lead tape is first up. Then I want to gap my bag and adjust lofts. And then I want to confirm 2 degrees flat is right through the entire set. It might be overkill but I just want to get to a place where I know it’s all on my swing and my equipment made it as easy as possible for me.

The T150s i have perform incredibly well for me, if i buy anything it would probably be just for fun....maybe something like the new Mizunos

T150’s are locked. Looking for a 3h or maybe fw in that 220yd spot.

I want more peak height and spin, and improving dispersion couldn’t hurt. I’ll be keeping the 4U as it’s a comfortable club for me, but I’m almost there on new irons. Not necessarily going with something more forgiving - front runner is Blueprint S 5-PW.

Already made an iron change. I wanted a bit more height and spin. My 923's while great clubs I just didn't get enough spin with them. I think I've found a good fit with 243. Losft is a little weaker so I'm naturally hitting them higher and 7i spin jumped around 500rpms to put me right in that low 6k number I want.

As for approach clubs I'm going to need to make a change in the 50º area. I enjoy my T22 but it's got over 200 rounds on it and it's showing it's age. I wouldn't mind a little more forgiving option in that spot. Something like a S23, but there could be other options S23 is just the one I know the most about and it flows really well with the iron set.

Irons are set for a while. Maybe another hybrid - 2 or 3? Top of the bag is the oldest part of my set.

Driver. I've got my Project X THP Experience Denali Blue 5.5 50 shaft just dying to be tipped and gripped and put into a driver. Options are many - AI Smoke Max D, QI 10, G430 Max 10k, TSi 1 (if it's the super forgiving one for slow swing speeds), Aerojet Darkspeed, and ST-G... I want something super forgiving.

Irons - I want to replace my Mavriks with something more forgiving, newer, and shiny. Options include - T350's, AI Smoke, QI 10, G430. I want super forgiveness and something that doesn't have a wide sole that I can see at address. Topline thickness isn't too big of a factor to me I don't think.

Woods - Same suspects as driver. Same wants. Super forgiveness. Maybe lighter than default shafts because I'm a slow swinger. And I'm interested in a 6 or 7 hybrid. I can't currently hit my 5i or 6i well but can hit my 9w so... yeah, I'm looking to be that guy and have woods and shorter irons. Whatever. If it helps my game I think I'm ok with that.

Wedges - I don't think the zipcore suits me. I'm more inconsistent with them and want to try something else. Again, forgiveness is a driving factor.

Putter - I think my experiment with a blade is over and I'll stick with it. But I want a blade from Odyssey. Ai milled 2 or Ai insert 1. Yeah, I know they're both inserts. But 1 is the 2 and the other's the 1.

It's a complete rebuild of my bag top to bottom and I think it'll suit my game better than what I'm swinging now.

I may not get any new clubs this year, but if I do here's my working thinking.

Driver: Forgiveness, fairway finder. Paradym smoke ai and ping g430 max 10k have my attention.

Irons: I need better gapping with short irons. Mizuno Pro 243 and Titleist t150 are on my radar. They both keep 4° loft gaps with the shorter irons. For long irons, something like 4-6, I would go 245 or T200. I have also considered getting a much more forgiving set of irons; for me this would be a 2nd set of irons to test how that works. Full 245 or even something like JPX 923 HMP are appealing if I go that way. This will all become much clearer once I re-benchmark my current irons and test the options.

Wedges: If my PW is 44° vs. the 46° I have now, I need rethink what I do with wedges. 52°/56°/60° and/or ~52°/58°. I like the idea of 2 setups.

I could also see myself tinkering at the top of the bag. If I do anything there, it won't happen until mid-summer at the earliest.

Back