3 Clubs + Putter tomorrow - Which ones should I take?

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
Our LGA is having a fun tournament tomorrow where you can use any 3 clubs + your putter. I'm a little torn but I'm leaning towards driver, 5 hybrid (will be plenty for fairway shots on par 5s if I hit a good drive), and 7 iron (perfect for the par 3s, chipping, and approach shots). I'm not as confident with my 3 wood as my hybrids right now thus my reason for not choosing it. Thoughts?

I would take a 3-4 hybrid, 6-7iron, 56*ish wedge. Should be able to get on the par 5s in 3 with the hybrid and drive decent on par 4s, 6-7 for all 2nd shots and the wedge for chipping because odds are you will miss most greens or be just short since you dont have the right clubs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I would take a 3-4 hybrid, 6-7iron, 56*ish wedge. Should be able to get on the par 5s in 3 with the hybrid and drive decent on par 4s, 6-7 for all 2nd shots and the wedge for chipping because odds are you will miss most greens or be just short since you dont have the right clubs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I like your thinking!

it sounds like you have it pretty narrowed down KB!
i always think about what 9 i'm playing and what will best suit the holes, specifically the par 3's.
just try to avoid "non-versatile" clubs, like driver. since you only have 3 to choose from, you want to be able to hit multiple shots with each one of your choices.

our 3 club challenge is this Thursday, except we don't get the "plus putter" part.

last year i played with 3 wood, 5 iron, and 56* wedge. i shot a 39. not sure why i carry so many other clubs.....lol.

i'll carry the same 3 this week, but doubt i'll shoot anywhere near that this year.

I like your thinking!

I play a couple of these tournaments a year and sometimes will do it on a slow day at the course just to work on some different shots and this is usually the setup I come back to. Hybrid goes 180-200, iron goes 140-160 that will attack most par 4s. 2 hybrids in a par 5 unless its really long should leave a wedge in. Obviously those are my distances not yours but I dont know if you are getting to play the red tees either so that could make a difference. Is it just 9 holes? If you could post the hole yardages and your club distances I think it would help with recommendations.

I like the hybrid/fw, mid iron, wedge setup. Should give you plenty to deal with and still be able to get to all par 4s and 5s in regulation and have enough variation for the par 3s.

I think I'd go 2h, 7 iron, 52degree. But it all depends on what course you're playing and what you're comfortable with.

Definitely think you need to get a sand wedge in there. Unless you don't have any sand around the greens at your course. Pick your favorite hybrid and mid iron and knock em dead!

I say if you hit your driver well, and I think I read that you have been, I'd take driver, 7i, wedge. Driver/7i should get you on all 4s where hybo/7i may not. Par 5s should still be reachable with D/7i/7i or less.

I would go 3H/6I/52. Those clubs would cover a pretty wide distance for me. Good luck KB

Now I'm leaning towards a 4 hybrid (my 3 hybrid is too long and I'm having it cut down), 7 iron, and my 54*. Those are 3 clubs that I'm most confident with. If I leave a shot short on my approach, my SW should come to my rescue.

Now I'm leaning towards a 4 hybrid (my 3 hybrid is too long and I'm having it cut down), 7 iron, and my 54*. Those are 3 clubs that I'm most confident with. If I leave a shot short on my approach, my SW should come to my rescue.

I like this, and the confidence will come in handy as well!

If those are your 3 most confident, I believe you have a winner indeed.

aww... no bubba golf? Driver, driver off the deck, putter for a nice 3 - easy peasy. You don't even need the other 2 clubs.

I like your choices there. That 54* 588 wedge is magic!

I'd go with a 4 or 5 wood, 7 iron, and PW.

Our LGA is having a fun tournament tomorrow where you can use any 3 clubs + your putter. I'm a little torn but I'm leaning towards driver, 5 hybrid (will be plenty for fairway shots on par 5s if I hit a good drive), and 7 iron (perfect for the par 3s, chipping, and approach shots). I'm not as confident with my 3 wood as my hybrids right now thus my reason for not choosing it. Thoughts?

I'd go 3 wood, 7 iron, 58* wedge, and a putter. Covers all ends of the spectrum.

I think this sounds like the setup for you KB.
I would personally go with the 4 hyb. 8 iron, 56* wedge. But I like your confidence factor. Go get 'em !

I'd do 4h, 8i, 54*.

I'd go driver, 1 iron, 64 degree wedge, and putter. Just to show 'em. :)

(not really)

This is a great plan of attack. If push comes to shove, you could even use the 4 hybo or 7 iron around the green. Very versatile clubs too.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I was still pondering this morning but I think using the 4h vs a wood off the tee would give me more shots with my approach. A wood may be too much and a 7 iron not enough for my second shots on some holes. I'm sure the 4h and SW will be used a lot today! There will be a couple holes I won't reach in regulation but I should be able to on most. I hope! I'll let you know how it pans out later and if I made the right decision or not. Of course, it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind at any time so you never know what I will use.

Good luck Kelly , Go get em ' !

hybrid, 7 iron, pw and putter

Back