3 hybrid recommendations

Nicegy525

Reaction score
Handicap
I am considering purchasing a 3 Hybrid to replace my 7 wood. This club would sit between my 5W and 4H in my bag. I am unsure of a few things though.

I currently game a Cobra Baffler 4 Hybrid at 22* loft and my 7 wood is 21*, Since I hit the hybrid much better I want to replace the wood with another hybrid.

The Hybrid I was considering (tour edge x rail) is a 20* loft in the 3H. Will a 2* difference in loft make much of an impact on distance? Seems to me I should maybe look for a club with a bigger change in loft.

I had also considered an Adams 3H at 19* loft.

Both clubs are in the $50 range. and have great reviews on rock bottom.

Can anyone chime in on which loft would provide a better advantage, or perhaps offer another suggestion for a high handicapper looking to add some distance from the fairway?

Unfortunately all hybrids react a little differently. I've had some companies 22* hybrids go further than other companies 20* hybrids. You also have to be cognizant about shaft length, as some (such as TM) use longer shafts for similar lofts. Also, some hybrids are much hotter and go further in general. Hybrids are one thing that really needs to be hit and tested to see if it will fit the gaps you need. I hit most companies woods about the same distance within 10 yards typically, but hybrids are all over the place in terms of how far they can go.

Sorry if that doesn't really help haha, but just sharing my personal journey of looking for fitting hybrids

Have no fear. The Xrail/trilogy line plays long vs specs. I own a monitor and have a whole lot of pulls that support this. They play about a half club long.

They're a piece of cake to hit as well. They're also good out of some light rough.

If you can try the X2Hot hybrids they are great. Good distance and so easy to hit.

If you can try the X2Hot hybrids they are great. Good distance and so easy to hit.

I agree. Any recent hybrids from Callaway are really good.

I just picked up a Callaway 815 hybrid - demo in great shape for $99 at Golfsmith so I couldn't resist - only been out with it a few times but think it is terrific. Feel off the club face is excellent and the extra distance really surprised me.

I think Im going to go to my local golfsmith and swing a few hybrids. I'm on a pretty tight budget though so hopefully I can find something used for a good price.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I have a 3,4 and 5 Cobra baffler hybrid. I love them. You could probably get one cheap on ebay and it would be a perfect gap after your 4 hybrid. Easiest clubs to hit in may bag.

My Titleist 913H has fought off all attempts to remove her from the bag for quite some time now including challenges from Adams, Taylormade and Callaway.

I just picked up a Callaway 815 hybrid - demo in great shape for $99 at Golfsmith so I couldn't resist - only been out with it a few times but think it is terrific. Feel off the club face is excellent and the extra distance really surprised me.
I cannot recommend the 815 Big Bertha Alpha hybrid enough. Incredible distance and forgiveness, great shape and oh yeah, can be had for a great price now.

I second this. Callaway's recent hybrids have all been very good. I'd grab one on-sale at Callaway Pre-Owned.

X2Hot.....even over XR in my opinion.

I agree with the sentiment that you need to look at the Callaway X2Hot hybrids. Great club at a great price ATM. Also the Big Bertha line is crazy easy to hit (as well as being adjustable). I've found that the stock shaft on the XR takes some getting used to.

Dax

I have the nike covert tour 2.0 in the 3 hybrid and love it and also have the titleist 5 hybrid and love it recommend them both

I like having an adjustable loft with my hybrids. I currently play the Cobra Bio Cell which has been pretty good for me. Might be looking at the Callaway Big Bertha hybrid in the future since I have stepped down in flex since acquiring my Bio Cell.

I second this. Callaway's recent hybrids have all been very good. I'd grab one on-sale at Callaway Pre-Owned.

X2Hot.....even over XR in my opinion.

I agree with the sentiment that you need to look at the Callaway X2Hot hybrids. Great club at a great price ATM. Also the Big Bertha line is crazy easy to hit (as well as being adjustable). I've found that the stock shaft on the XR takes some getting used to.

Dax

Thank you you all for the suggestions! Went to my local goldsmith today and found three options I was interested in:

callaway x2hot 3H
Ping G30 2H
Wilson Staff D100 3H

(All of them were in used condition)

swung all three in the launch monitor and all had good results. I really enjoyed the feel and distance from the G30! It just felt amazing and was going 204 on the launch monitor! But it was a 2h and I have a 5 wood that can do that. I just need to work on my woods more this winter. Plus I could not afford the $165 price.

the callaway and the wilson were both going the same distance 185 - 194. I did like the feel of the Wilson better though and the price was better.

I picked up the D100 used in good shape but no head cover for $75. Probably could have shopped around and found one cheaper but it was a fair price and they let me hit a bunch of balls with it first.

i am excited to get it to the range and dial it in a bit more!

Back