3 wood issues hitting off short grass

dude YES. a little cup at the top is so good for fairway off the deck. it’s been something i’ve been working on lately and the results have been surprisingly good.

It keeps you from hooding or slamming the face closed coming through impact. Now you all know my secret.. I cup the hell out of it and then just mash the heck out of it. Yeah, you get the occasional flare. That has more to do with hanging onto it than the cupped left wrist.

Just hover the club over the ball. Pretty much have to sweep it off the deck with dormant, muddy Bermuda

Appreciate all the good advice - I probably only hit it a few times a round off the deck - pretty much only if I crapped a tee shot or I have a reasonable chance of getting to the green on a par 5, otherwise I'm hitting a hybrid or my 4 iron. My friend took a video on a practice round, I was coming up with early extension. Working on staying down through the ball - and swinging smooth, not trying to hit it hard.

i only read some of the comments, but all looked like good ideas. What i say to this is, maybe find a new 3w, or try hitting some off a super high tee for practice.

No problems off a 1/2 inch tee height. my home course is like hitting off crabgrass growing on hardpan. not much room for error, I may just hit a 4 iron until the grass starts growing.

Just hover the club over the ball. Pretty much have to sweep it off the deck with dormant, muddy Bermuda

Your comment made me think. When I post answers to these questions I almost always imagine perfect summer conditions. I don't know why. Maybe it's "hope springs eternal?"

One spring, after a particularly miserable round slogging around in the slop, I told my buddies to wait until things had firmed up nicely before they called me to play again! It was just ridiculous! I don't know if it is possible to have less than no fun while playing golf, but I can tell you this. I had almost no fun during that round!

I gave up the 3 and 5 wood and picked up a Cally heaven wood and a cobra 9-11 wood. I just want to play and not spend more time fighting the longer woods and clubs.

I hit my 3w off the deck quite a bit. I just move the ball back in my stance a little more than off the tee. Same with my 5w, & 7w.

I even practice my driver off the deck from time to time. Ball back in my stance, and aim left of my targeted landing area.

Same. Best shot I hit last year was a driver off the deck to give me an eagle putt after a rather poor drive. No I didn’t make the putt. Haven’t made an eagle since 2018. Starting to get to me, lol.

Back