3 wood shaft recommendations

Justin_R_M

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for a new 3 wood shaft. Currently gaming AD DI 8x and I've picked up club speed and found this shaft doesn't perform as well for me anymore. Looking for something stiffer and lower spinning that won't go left. Currently gaming HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5 and love it. Would love the feedback!

Ventus Black is pretty anti-left. I just tried an Accra Tour Z RPG 372 in my 3w yesterday and did not hit one draw with it. Straight flight to slight fade. Its not stiff like Ventus Black, ozik black tie, atmos tour spec black that ive all used in a 3w but found its very stable

Kinda depends on what flight you want also. ozik black tie and Ventus Black for me were the lowest launching, tour spec black was low - mid flight, tour z RPG is mid flight w/ low spin

I feel like the Ventus Black is crisp and tight feeling kind of like the HZRDUS Green (TX version anyways). Probably not quite as stiff. But, had what I would describe as a crisp feel anyways. The Ventus Blue feels like it's almost in a completely different family than the Black. But, it has a very stiff tip with some nice kick in the mid section. I would think it would be a great fairway shaft. Especially if you give it a little extra tipping.

I personally have settled on the Blue in my driver and have had the Red in my 3 wood this entire time. Tipped an extra inch and I like it a lot. Gets the ball up easily and can handle a fast swing.

Anti-left is not due to a shaft. Go as stiff as necessary to be able to comfortably load whatever you get, but still stable enough to be able to step on it a little when needed. Especially a 3W shaft that's supposed to be about accuracy/driver alternative. And to keep it a little more functional if you need to elevate shots a bit off the turf into par 5's, etc.

Too stiff and too heavy in my experience contributes to hooking it. (I was kinda a slow learner in that regard.)
Gotta load up and pull hard to load these rebar shafts. Lotta strain on the bod too. (y)

Why do you sometime hit it left? What is the ball flight? See this could be swing path, improper/inconsistent release due to sequencing or simply stalling out the hips, arms or other body part? It could be a swing balance or weight shift issue? It could even be inconsistency with your grip. Some can be helped with specific shaft characteristics, others can't.

Anti-left is not due to a shaft. Go as stiff as necessary to be able to comfortably load whatever you get, but still stable enough to be able to step on it a little when needed. Especially a 3W shaft that's supposed to be about accuracy/driver alternative. And to keep it a little more functional if you need to elevate shots a bit off the turf into par 5's, etc.

Too stiff and too heavy in my experience contributes to hooking it. (I was kinda a slow learner in that regard.)
Gotta load up and pull hard to load these rebar shafts. Lotta strain on the bod too. (y)

I definitely agree that the shaft itself is not left/right bias per se, but certain swings will react in similar patterns to certain shafts. With the AD DI for me, I feel it bending more in transition than I used to which is causing me to flip my wrist through impact and resulting in closed-faced draws/hooks or straight pulls.

Why do you sometime hit it left? What is the ball flight? See this could be swing path, improper/inconsistent release due to sequencing or simply stalling out the hips, arms or other body part? It could be a swing balance or weight shift issue? It could even be inconsistency with your grip. Some can be helped with specific shaft characteristics, others can't.
Definitely more pulls/draws/hooks than I'd like. Specifically from fairway where I need to be more precise. It's 100% the release which is caused by the pronounced kick I'm feeling in the shaft from increased clubhead speed. I've been lifting a bit recently and using the superspeed protocol so just need to adjust equipment accordingly. Hence the switch to HZRDUS Green which I wouldn't have even touched a year ago.

I feel like the Ventus Black is crisp and tight feeling kind of like the HZRDUS Green (TX version anyways). Probably not quite as stiff. But, had what I would describe as a crisp feel anyways. The Ventus Blue feels like it's almost in a completely different family than the Black. But, it has a very stiff tip with some nice kick in the mid section. I would think it would be a great fairway shaft. Especially if you give it a little extra tipping.

I personally have settled on the Blue in my driver and have had the Red in my 3 wood this entire time. Tipped an extra inch and I like it a lot. Gets the ball up easily and can handle a fast swing.
Yeah I'm on board with your observation of the blue, very stiff tip but mid-section was too active for me. Haven't been able to hit a black yet but could definitely consider it if it weren't so pricey. Looking for something maybe a couple years old that will do the trick. For me justifying an expensive shaft in the driver is a little more plausible than a three wood just because it gets such little use in comparison.

Ventus Black is pretty anti-left. I just tried an Accra Tour Z RPG 372 in my 3w yesterday and did not hit one draw with it. Straight flight to slight fade. Its not stiff like Ventus Black, ozik black tie, atmos tour spec black that ive all used in a 3w but found its very stable

Kinda depends on what flight you want also. ozik black tie and Ventus Black for me were the lowest launching, tour spec black was low - mid flight, tour z RPG is mid flight w/ low spin
Played atmos black last season in 6x with driver. Loved that thing, was thinking something along the lines of 7x black in 3 wood or blue 8x. Have you hit them in those weights? Would be open to Ventus but the price is too steep for a club I may hit once/twice a round.

Played atmos black last season in 6x with driver. Loved that thing, was thinking something along the lines of 7x black in 3 wood or blue 8x. Have you hit them in those weights? Would be open to Ventus but the price is too steep for a club I may hit once/twice a round.
I haven't spent a ton of time with the Atmos line. But, I think the black may get you a similar profile to the Ventus Black at the very least and for a lot less $$. If you can find a pull from a Cobra driver, you can probably save a ton. Just tip it an inch and trim that length from the butt.

yes, typically I play a 7x in my 3w. I tipped the tour spec black 1" for the 3w and it was solid and have 0 complaints with it. Ventus Black is harder to turn left than the atmos black is, but I dont think you'd find a problem with the atmos black going left

Have not tried the blue at all but in 8x that sounds like a good option also bc of the weight.

I like trying different things until im satisfied with a shaft. This year its between Ventus Black 7x, ventus blue 7x, tour z RPG 7x

I never buy shafts brand new... if you get them used at a good price, youre never going to lose much money. Sometimes can even sell them for a little extra

I definitely agree that the shaft itself is not left/right bias per se, but certain swings will react in similar patterns to certain shafts. With the AD DI for me, I feel it bending more in transition than I used to which is causing me to flip my wrist through impact and resulting in closed-faced draws/hooks or straight pulls.
I can't swing these weights/flexes anymore, but I used to. If a shaft is too stiff, a lot of your weight doesn't get transferred and you hang back in an effort to load the very stiff shaft and bad swing tendencies happen. Usually hooks like you (and I) see.
Swing easier. (I know, I know) and if you feel the shaft is too stiff when swinging easy, it probably is too stiff.
You should always be able to back off with your swing speed and make any shaft "work." If you can't, probably too stiff. DI is a very stable shaft. Super stable.
Only super fast transitions would be a problem. Be able to back off and throttle down with whatever shaft you use. That should indicate a good combo of weight and flex and profile for your swing. Maybe try a different DI variant since you know that family of shafts already?
Have a Ping Anser 16.5º with a DI7 stiff I hope to play if my swing speed comes back up again. Great, great shafts. (y)

Definitely more pulls/draws/hooks than I'd like. Specifically from fairway where I need to be more precise. It's 100% the release which is caused by the pronounced kick I'm feeling in the shaft from increased clubhead speed. I've been lifting a bit recently and using the superspeed protocol so just need to adjust equipment accordingly. Hence the switch to HZRDUS Green which I wouldn't have even touched a year ago.
Since it's pulls, draws, and hooks that comes from an uncontrolled face at impact. A pull would represent a square face but outside to in swing path, a draw and hook from a closed club face relative to the path. I expect you already know this based on your post. You obviously can get help from the proper shaft. Whether or not it solves the problem or just helps remains to be seen.

yes, typically I play a 7x in my 3w. I tipped the tour spec black 1" for the 3w and it was solid and have 0 complaints with it. Ventus Black is harder to turn left than the atmos black is, but I dont think you'd find a problem with the atmos black going left

Have not tried the blue at all but in 8x that sounds like a good option also bc of the weight.

I like trying different things until im satisfied with a shaft. This year its between Ventus Black 7x, ventus blue 7x, tour z RPG 7x

I never buy shafts brand new... if you get them used at a good price, youre never going to lose much money. Sometimes can even sell them for a little extra

In your testing of Ventus Blue vs Ventus Black, how significant did you feel the difference in flight was?

I'm a superfan of the Blue 6X in driver and have really enjoyed the few swings I've had with the Black. Feel and flight were pretty close, with the Black obviously a touch lower in spin and height.

Looking for something for me to hit low liners with my 917f2 3w with stock Diamana Blue (or Mav Max 3w with Rogue White, dunno which I want to mess with), but slightly wary the Ventus Black will launch a bit low.

Back