Cmontgomery

Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve carried only a 4W for the last 15 years and always had room for 1 more club in the bag.

There’s been a few times I wish I had just a few more yards with that club (and today’s clubs may just provide that), but never felt I needed to go 3W/5W. In fact, I just can’t convince myself that a 5W offers me a whole lot in general.

So what have you THP, do you go the traditional 3W/5W or go 4W? What do you carry and why?

I roll 3 and 5. I go 3W because it's safe off the tee when my driver isn't working and I don't sacrifice a ton of distance. I use it on the loooonnnggg par 5s as my second club option as well. I use a 5W because it's obviously shorter distance wise, but it's easier for me to play from the fairway most of the time. They both have their uses for me and my game. Let's say a 4 does all of that for me though. I don't really have a need for another club in my bag and would just be replacing it with something for the sake of replacing it at this point.

I could use another wedge I guess but like I said, the need isn't pressing enough for me that I would change a set up I'm very comfortable with. Any reason you haven't added another club if you've had the space?

I go 3W/HW. 3W as a secondary tee option, and HW as the longest club I hit off the deck. Works great for me. If you are happy with the 4W, maybe stick an extra wedge in the bag? Or go the short driver route? Mini driver?

Really personal decision here, but going from 4w to 4i in your WITB signature, seems like you could add maybe a 3 hybrid as a nice gap filler. Maybe 19-20* hybrid.

I would say in fairway woods, its going to be pretty dependent on your swing speed and delivery if you get anything more out of a 3w than 4w, or even 5w.

FWIW my basic standby setup is 4w-3h-4i and it works great if you have the right clubs to complement each other re: distance gaps.

Something in the 16 or 17° loft spots is ideal for me

I am debating this myself at the moment. Most times I don't even carry my 3w so I go driver 5w, I like the smaller head size especially from the fairway. I think I will be testing out some 4w or a stronger 5w (e.g. the Ping 410 is a little stronger with option to further de-loft). I walk almost all my rounds and I've found that 12 clubs at the moment is my sweet spot for saving some weight and getting away with a slightly smaller / lighter bag while not giving away much. The other end I squeeze out one is on the wedges (I go 50 + 56).

Any reason you haven't added another club if you've had the space?

No reason haven’t needed anything at the bottom of the bag and the gaps at the top didn’t feel like they created any issues.

I love the 4W I have off the deck and it’s fantastic off a tee. I’ve got a few par 5’s I can reach in 2 with it, it’s the ones that I’m just a bit short that drive me nuts.

I’ve got new irons on their way so not sure what we’re gaps we’re looking at now but thinking 4W and either a 3UTI or 3 hybrid.

5W just feels like it would be taking up space at the moment...

Really personal decision here, but going from 4w to 4i in your WITB signature, seems like you could add maybe a 3 hybrid as a nice gap filler. Maybe 19-20* hybrid.

I would say in fairway woods, its going to be pretty dependent on your swing speed and delivery if you get anything more out of a 3w than 4w, or even 5w.

FWIW my basic standby setup is 4w-3h-4i and it works great if you have the right clubs to complement each other re: distance gaps.

Just reminded me I need to update the sig! Since hanging around here I’ve felt the need to replace most of it ??

I like the idea of the 3 hybrid or utility iron. New T200’s are on their way so just not sure what gaps I’ve got just yet.

3/5 here. I use my 3 wood off the tee and deck enough to need it, and I use a cut down 5 wood to hit the gap I need

I am getting rid of the 3w, 4w and Heavenwood and going Epic Flash 5w turned down 1* to 17* with a 3w/4w length shaft.

Played Rogue 4w last year and then tried EF 3w & EF Heavenwood which were both nice but 3w went nearly as far as my driver but flight was lower than I was looking for.

5w gives me the distance I need and a nice high flight.

I go 4 wood, primarily because I want the extra height/launch

I like a 3w as a second teeing off club. Then I could go with a 17.5 as my primary off the deck choice

Most people do not have near enough club head speed to distance the 3 any differently. Pick the one that gives you the ball flight you want. For me that is a 4 wood.

I’ve got a 3W and 5W in the bag right now. I find myself reaching for the 5W more often than the 3.

I’ve got a 3W and 5W in the bag right now. I find myself reaching for the 5W more often than the 3.
Why the gravitation towards the 5? Distance, comfort, dependability?

Same bag design for me. 4W and an empty spot on my bag. However, I've been thinking about adding a 3W just for tee shots. Would like a bit more oomph off the tee than the 4W gives me.

Just the 5W. I haven’t tried a 3W in awhile. The gap between driver and 5W is only 25-30 yards. So no real need for it.

I'm changing my philosophy of what I do with the 3w in my bag this year. It will be used for tee off only this year and on a very rare occasion out of the fairway. I'm carrying a #2, #3, and #4 Cleveland Launcher Halo for all other shots depending on distance and where I am.

I’ve carried only a 4W for the last 15 years and always had room for 1 more club in the bag.

There’s been a few times I wish I had just a few more yards with that club (and today’s clubs may just provide that), but never felt I needed to go 3W/5W. In fact, I just can’t convince myself that a 5W offers me a whole lot in general.

So what have you THP, do you go the traditional 3W/5W or go 4W? What do you carry and why?

The past few rounds I've played with no fairway woods and I am liking it.
My bag has driver and hybrids of 16*, 19* and 22* loft. The 16* hybrid , while not quite as long as my 3-wood , is easier to consistently straighter, and is easier to strike well off a less than ideal lie, than a fairway wood.
My driver carry (sea level, flat terrain) is about 245, my 16* hybrid carries about 225 from a tee and 210 from a ground lie.

I love my 5W. Its a cannon, a fairway finder and a reliable club for 210 yards. Its a club that even if my swing isnt spot-on that I can still rely on.

The past few rounds I've played with no fairway woods and I am liking it.
My bag has driver and hybrids of 16*, 19* and 22* loft. The 16* hybrid , while not quite as long as my 3-wood , is easier to consistently straighter, and is easier to strike well off a less than ideal lie, than a fairway wood.
My driver carry (sea level, flat terrain) is about 245, my 16* hybrid carries about 225 from a tee and 210 from a ground lie.

16*, 19*, and 22* are the lofts on my Cleveland Halos.

16*, 19*, and 22* are the lofts on my Cleveland Halos.

I've never swung a Halo but I've liked most every Cleveland brand club I've played. The hybrids in my bag now are Srixon H65.

I have EF 3 wood lofted at 17* use it as 4 wood and I carry 7 wood. (20*)
I tried to at 15 and 16 degree. It just take too much effort to get it high enough to get optimal distance. Off the tee wasn’t a problem but I need them from fairway.
Doesn’t work the way ai want to all the time but it’s best option I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never swung a Halo but I've liked most every Cleveland brand club I've played. The hybrids in my bag now are Srixon H65.

I really can't say enough good things about these Halos, I lov'em. ;)

Always rolled with a 3w.

Back