3W, 5W or hybrids?

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
I was watching a video today from Dan, who used to partner with Mark Crossfield talking about 3W or 5W in the bag. I'll post the video below. It reminded me of my own experience with the 3W. My 3W is lofted more like a 4W, too @ 15.5 degrees.

Off a tee I can get about 220 carry with a 3W. Off the deck it's about 170. Off a tee I can get about 210 carry with a 5W. Off the deck it's about 180. I hit a 5H about 185 yds carry off the deck; 200 with my 4H (21 degrees). My pro instructor says it's the club loft.

This probably doesn't affect you guys with higher club speeds at all. It's more for us with driver speeds in the mid 90s and slower. Thoughts? Anyone else have this issue? And here's the video....

That’s very very interesting. Makes me want to find a launch monitor and a 5 wood.

That’s very very interesting. Makes me want to find a launch monitor and a 5 wood.

x2...I was debating about adding a 4h but maybe a 5w would be a better fit.

x2...I was debating about adding a 4h but maybe a 5w would be a better fit.

I think it really highlights the value of getting fit for the entire bag. According my Arccos data (1 round so really not much at all) my 3w doesn’t actually go that much farther than my 3h. I think I need to sort some stuff out at the top end of the bag and go from there.

I think it really highlights the value of getting fit for the entire bag. According my Arccos data (1 round so really not much at all) my 3w doesn’t actually go that much farther than my 3h. I think I need to sort some stuff out at the top end of the bag and go from there.

I love my bb19 3h...but am (was) slowly finding my swing with the 3w...but not enough to make it a no-brainer when it probably should be.

I love my bb19 3h...but am (was) slowly finding my swing with the 3w...but not enough to make it a no-brainer when it probably should be.

I’m an unabashed fan of my BB hybrids. That 3h is an absolute canon, and the club I reach for off the tee A LOT.

I’m an unabashed fan of my BB hybrids. That 3h is an absolute canon, and the club I reach for off the tee A LOT.

it has quickly become my favorite club after being less than enthusiastic about my previous hybrids...

I have a 3 and 5 wood. I tried a hybrid a few times now and really don't like them. It may be though, I struggle with that type of club even with my woods. I have started practicing more with them and plan to get them in play more this year. I hope it don't cost me too much. My buddy can smack his hybrids strong.

i hit my 3 wood about 230- 260 with roll out with a good strike on the ball dont know what i would get with a 5 wood never had one or tried one. Might be something to look at.

I have definitely found on course that I hit my 4 wood far off a tee box, but I can hit my 19* hybrid just as far off the ground. I am going to try a 5 wood this year too. My 4 wood Carrie's as far as my driver off the tee, it just has no roll out.

Last edited:
i hit my 3 wood about 230- 260 with roll out with a good strike on the ball dont know what i would get with a 5 wood never had one or tried one. Might be something to look at.

It’s worth a look right? It may not be the same for you, it’s going to be person dependent I think, but a lot people (myself included) assume that my 3w is going to go farther than a 5w (even though I’m very well aware that loft is only one factor #loftjacking) so getting them on a LM and getting some real data would be good for most people I think.

If I get out in time I might take a swing to golfer warehouse and get on the monitor. Im not sure if there systems 100%. But love seeing the ball fly

My current bag has driver, 16*, 19*, 22* hybrids but no fairway woods.

Considering their long shafts and large heads I find modern fairway woods best suited to tee box play.

Interesting topic to ponder... I have a 4w and 19* hybrid in my bag currently

I haven’t tried one either. I have a very old 3 hybrid that I hit about the same distance as my 4i. I know I can pick up a new 3hy that will gap better. But I haven’t thought about a 5w. I tend to hit both irons and fairways better than rescues.?

The 3, 4 or 5 wood is definitely something I will be testing this year as well as comparing the Callaway Super Hybrid. I have no issue with 3 wood off a tee but looking for more versatility/forgiveness off the fairway especially when dealing with various stance positions. Looking forward to testing once the new 2020 lineups hit the shelves up here.

Very interesting video. I have always carried both 3 and 5 woods and see value in both clubs. No hard data but playing on generally a softer course with little roll out most of the time, I am confident that I get at least 10 - 15 extra carry yards with my 3 wood over my 5 wood. That pretty well matches the gapping in the rest of my bag. Plus, I choke down on the 3 wood quite often to play different types of shots from varying distances into the wind, out of trouble, etc. so it is important to my setup in that regard also.

I favor fairway woods over hybrids. I find the fairway woods easier to launch.

My dispersion was so much tighter with my hybrid compared to 3w/5w. I’ll still take the 3w out every once in a while for some distance, but far more commonly use hybrids. Interesting video though.

Funny this just popped up, as I just bought Epic Flash SZ 3 and 5 from Callaway CPO, to replace my Rogue 3 wood and 17 degree Anser hybrid. I just started using the Arccos Caddie sensors, so I should be able to get some good data to see if the 5 wood is a good replacement for the hybrid, if not I'll put it back in the bag to compare. I hoping the 5 wood gives me a little more consistent distance, as the 17 didn't seem to go much further than the 20 degree I carry on similar shots. It is probably the indian.

Didn’t watch the video, I am contemplating 5w/7w in the setup this year though instead of hybrids big reason (Cobra is my example obvi :LOL:) both FW heads are approx 30cc bigger than the hybrid heads more surface area to hit (miss)

another thing to look at not just loft but length of fwys are going to be longer than hybrids probably half an inch or so

I am better directionally with woods than with hybrids. My 5 wood is a rocket off the deck, 3 wood has come around as well once I dialed the loft up. My one and only 3Hybrid is a hook monster and I'm not as comfortable with it.

This is a timely thread, but until I figure out this part of my game, not sure anything will make good sense to me. I hit my 3 and 5 woods about 10-15 times from the mat yesterday on my practice net while practicing other clubs as well, and struck really good, however, something keeps me from translating that to the golf course. There is something while on the course that seems to affect what I am seeing when I swing those and often turns into a topped shot and not a sweep through as is needed with those type of clubs.

I no longer carry any woods outside of a driver. Driver to 2hy for me.

Back