JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
I play a TM r15 high loft 3 wood lofted up even further to 19 degrees (so it is playing as a 5w). I have considered changing out the head to a true 5w head in something a bit newer to get a slightly more forgiving club head. I hit the my r15 quite well so there is no specific problem i am trying to fix.

As i consider this, any pros/cons to doing it? I presume a 5w head is a tad smaller. The natural address position might be a bit better, but it doesn’t look awkward on the r15.

Looking for opinions/comments before i go but a $150-ish head on eBay.

As an interesting aside, i play my 3hyb at 19 as well. The difference in shaft length between the two provides a really good distance gap at the top of my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are hitting it well, why tweak? If it's just idle curiosity, go get a budget 5W that you can monkey with. Look at dallasgolf.com, they have older Cobra Fly Zs for 60-70 bucks.

A 5w is smaller. Another option might be the Callaway Heavenwood which is 20* and a bit larger than a 5W with a shaft that is closer in length to a 3W. I have my Heavenwood turned down to 19*. I find it very forgiving and versatile. The only downside is in the rough as it doesn't cut through the grass quite as well.

If you are hitting it well, why tweak? If it's just idle curiosity, go get a budget 5W that you can monkey with. Look at dallasgolf.com, they have older Cobra Fly Zs for 60-70 bucks.

Why tweak is a good question. My initial thought was to drop and TM M3 5w head onto the same shaft and see if there is any (minimal) gain in forgiveness or otherwise.

I figured i would solicit opinions here before i buy even budget gear to tinker with.

A 5w is smaller. Another option might be the Callaway Heavenwood which is 20* and a bit larger than a 5W with a shaft that is closer in length to a 3W. I have my Heavenwood turned down to 19*. I find it very forgiving and versatile. The only downside is in the rough as it doesn't cut through the grass quite as well.

Sounds like i have essentially made a TM version of a Heavenwood.

Any thoughts on swing weight? The balance i have right now is good - smaller 5w head will be lighter i presume....

I find a 5 wood more consistent - I play it at 42 inches for consistent contact, smaller head is better in rough, is easier to hit straight and high.

4 wood is an option but I find the 5 wd is easier; the 4 wd acts more like a higher flying 3 wd. I've carried both.

I play a TM r15 high loft 3 wood lofted up even further to 19 degrees (so it is playing as a 5w). I have considered changing out the head to a true 5w head in something a bit newer to get a slightly more forgiving club head. I hit the my r15 quite well so there is no specific problem i am trying to fix.

As i consider this, any pros/cons to doing it? I presume a 5w head is a tad smaller. The natural address position might be a bit better, but it doesn’t look awkward on the r15.

Looking for opinions/comments before i go but a $150-ish head on eBay.

As an interesting aside, i play my 3hyb at 19 as well. The difference in shaft length between the two provides a really good distance gap at the top of my bag.

Brand New... $189.... Order today.... https://www.cobragolf.com/king-f9-fairway

I like the smaller footprint that a 5W offers, especially if I am trying to dig something out of the rough. I will hit my 3W off the deck, but I love to hit my 5W off the deck.

I like the size of the 3w head, so if you really wanted to play a 3w at the degree of a 5w, I would choose that route.

Interesting how some like the 3w size, some like 5w size. For me, the 3w is predominantly of fairway tool. Use it infrequently off the tee. And never out of the rough. (My. M1 3hyb has a good head shape/size for digging balls out of the rough at long range.)

I actually just ordered a 4W. Mavrik.

Longer than my XR16 3W, higher than my 5W.

If you'd have asked me 6 months ago I'd have been 5w all the way, but after getting fit into the Speedzone 3w I'm carrying both and has been a game changer. I can be a bit wayward off the tee, and using the 3w as a driver replacement has straightened things up without too much distance loss. I've been working with hitting it off the ground as well, and that's starting to come together. The 5w is just automatic off the fairway though, has got me out of trouble so many times.

Back