4 Cylinder Turbo vs V6

What cars are these? I'm guessing an A4 with stage 2 tuning and an A6 with the supercharged 3.0.

I drive an A4 that is near the end of its life span. I'm considering moving up to a C7 A6 with the 3.0 and then going APR stage 2. I'm excited for the giggles that will provide.

You won’t regret any Audi that bears the 3.0T engine, Stage 1 bumps you up close to 400 hp. Best bang for your buck mod for sure! Honestly the 3.0T engine in stock form is one heck of a motor, pulls hard and has reliability to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won’t regret any Audi that bears the 3.0T engine, Stage 1 bumps you up close to 400 hp. Best bang for your buck mod for sure! Honestly the 3.0T engine in stock form is one heck of a motor, pulls hard and has reliability to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love to hear it!

SUV's are heavy as they get bigger. I'd steer toward the V6 of the two. My '16 4runner is a V6 and I wish they would have offered a V8 that year.
But I needed a vehicle in a pinch as the '15 Grand Cherokee I had was a mechanical nightmare. I'm seriously considering something with a V8. I don't drive a lot, and if the 4runner gives me 17MPG, I'm sure a V8 will do that or maybe a little better even. Buts its been problem free and no annoying rattles inside or anything, so I feel like I'd be testing my luck with a new vehicle and all the recalls and stuff that can occur. Make sure your vehicle is recall free upon delivery. (y)

I will relay to you what several respected automotive engineers and mechanics shared with me.

They said that the 4-cylinder turbo designs are living on the edge. Their design tolerances have been maxed out in order to meet the federal fuel economy guidelines. They work well, but I was told not to expect them to last 200,000 to 300,000 miles like the previous generation. Now they were primarily talking about Toyota and Honda engines when they talked about life expediency of the engine. But the basic gist still applies to VW engines.

Now if you are buying new and planning to sell after a few years or 100,000 miles or so, you can enjoy the fuel economy and you'll be fine. But if you are planning on having the vehicle to or past 200,000 miles, you may find the 6-cylinder a better play.

I will relay to you what several respected automotive engineers and mechanics shared with me.

They said that the 4-cylinder turbo designs are living on the edge. Their design tolerances have been maxed out in order to meet the federal fuel economy guidelines. They work well, but I was told not to expect them to last 200,000 to 300,000 miles like the previous generation. Now they were primarily talking about Toyota and Honda engines when they talked about life expediency of the engine. But the basic gist still applies to VW engines.
In general there are not many modern vehicles/engines that are built to last that long problem free, on top of that most people in general tend to only keep their vehicles for 3-5 yrs if that. I think the biggest thing the OP can get from this is that they should drive both engine platforms and buy whatever they feel fits their needs. I'd say if you were buying the smaller Tiguan the 4 cylinder works fine (and is only offered with it), but the Atlas isn't a small vehicle and having a NA V6 will have far more pros than cons.

Small turbo motors usually look equal and impressive on the spec sheet, but you need RPMs to make the power. I'd take the V6 all day personally - it's just a simpler machine with less crap to break down the road.

Not too relevant to your decision, but I recently test drove a 2020 Silverado RST with a 4cyl turbo engine and it was extremely unimpressive compared to the standard 5.3L V8.

Back