Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
Do you bag one and if so, what is your favorite and why? I've been contemplating a wood in the 16 degree/loft range.

I dont but used to use the Bridgestone J40.
Now I use a Heaven Wood. Loft of about a 6 wood, shaft length nearing 3 wood. Easiest fairway wood I have ever hit off the turf.

Going to the X2Hot 4W was the best thing I've ever done at that end of the bag. I've been told I hit it well. :act-up:

I did it to widen the gap from the driver, and dropped the 5W for a 3Hy, but just having that little bit more loft (in my head at least) helps me get better contact more often.

JB, does the added length give you back some distance from the higher loft? Does it play longer than a "six" wood?

My favorite club, possibly ever, is my Tour Edge CB5 16.5° 4 wood. I don't know anything about its shaft length or head size or anything like that, but I'd go with "shorter" and "smaller" if I had to guess.

From the moment I've taken it out of the wrapper, I've done nothing but hit it very well from the tee and from the deck.

JB, does the added length give you back some distance from the higher loft? Does it play longer than a "six" wood?

Yes sir it does. Hit it about the same distance I normally hit a 5 wood or even my 4 wood if I go after it.

I always had an affinity for older fairways. Played the V steel for a long time and have a 300 tour as well. Have tried a few other 4w like the xhp, optiforce, and some TEE models, but the larger head caused me to not give great swings. My advice would be to hit a few if possible. You may love the look and others may rave about them, but if it doesn't set up right for you then it could be a lost cause.

Callaway XHot Pro 4w - not the longest club but fills the gap at 225-235 Yds. I will keep this until it dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played a Nike VR_S 4 wood for a few years, loved it, then got rid of it because I'm an idiot. I'm not sure if it's the loft or length that makes the 4W work for me (I think the VR_S was playing at 42.5"), but that was about ideal.

This year I'm going into the season with the V Series 3W and heavenwood and early indications are that this will be a good combo for me. The heavenwood is stupid easy to get up in the air.

Looking at getting the g30 5 wood so I can turn in down to 17 degrees like a 4 wood. I don't hit fairway woods often so I'd rather hit a 4/5 wood in the 220-240 range instead of a 3 wood that I have no confidence in off the turf.

Do you bag one and if so, what is your favorite and why? I've been contemplating a wood in the 16 degree/loft range.

I haven't since the 1980's but I have a new XR Pro 4 wood with a Tour Green x shaft arriving in a few days. My new irons gap differently than my old ones allowing me to drop my hybrids and fill the gap with this 4 wood that should be deadly from 235-245 yds. I have a couple par 4's at my home course that I will use it off the tee as well as potentially all of the par 5's.

If i take out the (3deep & 5deep) to add a 3I or change from a 3 wedges to 4, then i place in a X2 hot 4W, or Cleveland FL 17 degree (Miyazaki 59s).

Should also add i can just keep the 5Deep in the bag and just take out the 3Deep, as i find the 5Deep(18.5) great off the Tee and Fairway as well.

Example of the Cleveland - really great off Tee and fairway
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEVELAND-L...923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b889319b

Last edited:
J40 4w in my bag. Paired with a PX 6.0. Great weight, feel and sound. The bottom shape is much more forgiving than the RBZ 3w it replaced when hitting off the deck.

I got back and forth with a 4 wood depending on bag setup, but most of the time I have one in the bag. Have played the J40 4 wood, and currently have the SLDR S 3HL(which is their version of a 4 wood) in the bag. Toyed with the X Hot 4 wood last year too and for me the TM won out.

I've had a 4w in my bag for about 10 years. Just replaced it a couple years ago with a Nike Covert Tour 3w with the loft set to 16degrees. I absolutely love it.

Don't game a 4W, but do game a 5W (see my sig). Thing launches nice and high like a hybrid/iron and is so easy to hit off anything (tee, rough, fairway). I'll never ditch it, I even dented the top slightly on a thick rough shot and still game it (I am super OCD about my clubs).

have a R11 TP 4 wood in the bag since they came out from taylormade.....love it......tried out the new r15 woods....and decided go to go for 3 and 5 wood set up and put the 4 wood in the shelf for a month and see how the 3 and 5 wood go. was missing something on the higher end.....the 4 wood was great but was in a weird gap......if anything....I can gear down the 3 wood or gear up the 5 wood and take the 4 woods place.....so win win.

I game a Callaway XR 4-wood, and had the X2Hot before that, and the XHot before that. I get more functional launch characteristics from it than a 3-wood, especially when hitting it from the deck. I probably give up a little distance off the tee compared to a 3 wood, but not to the point of it being unsatisfactory, and I have less of a gap between my fairway wood and hybrid.

I bought a Bridgestone J40 16* 4 wood just to give me options in my bag and it has now become my favorite fairway wood. Head size and shaft length is same as J40 3wood, but the 4wood is just plain money in the bank.

I used to have a 4W and it was my money maker. Then I went and got a 3W that launches just as easily and has more length and I would argue is easier to hit from the deck. I'm not against the 4W but have found a 3W/5W combo to be better for my game. Love the V-Series!

Love my 17 degree 4 wood. Perfect for me off the deck

Finally found the ideal solution for me. Titlesit 915F 5 wood fairway but at 42.5" and 18 deg adjustable I was fitted to make it the longest hitting club I could reliably get off the deck. Love it.

Going to the X2Hot 4W was the best thing I've ever done at that end of the bag. I've been told I hit it well. :act-up:

I did it to widen the gap from the driver, and dropped the 5W for a 3Hy, but just having that little bit more loft (in my head at least) helps me get better contact more often.

Love mine, but like you want to try out the Heavenwood and possibly drop the 4W/7W for one Fairway wood.

Thanks guys , some really solid choices here. The Heaven Wood sounds Heavenly .

I have a Callaway X Hot 4 wood which is 17 degrees and loved it off of tight lies being it had such a shallow face. Great club. Not in the bag now, but it is on hold in the closet.

Back