4 Woods and why people hate even numbers

M2Giles

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish
I've been messing around with a Taylormade M2 Tour 3HL during the lockdown. Due to my simulator room limitations, driver doesnt quite feel safe.

Hitting this club and seeing the ballspeed and the easier launch compare to a lower lofted 3 wood makes me wonder why do most companies not sell a 4 wood. And if they do they usually still call it something like 3 high launch or 3 (16.5* loft).

Similarly going the other direction we get euphamisms like strong 3 wood, 3+, or Mini Driver. And I cant say the last time I've seen a 6 wood branding

Why are golfers so allergic to even numbered woods? Are 2, 4, and 6 not allowed? I think Tour Edge had a quote saying only 3 woods sell and why they brand 3 lofts as a 3 wood.

Shame they shy away from the 4 wood, but I suppose they need what sells. Me, I would definitely try a 4 wood. Since I can do well with a 5 and not so much with a 3, a 4 might be the ticket and something I would consider.

I think the stigma isn’t what it once was, but I do believe there is a stigma with high numbered fairway woods still. The decision to stop labeling them 4 and instead put 3HL or whatever on them though is pretty brilliant marketing if you think about it, if almost guarantee it’s easier for fitters and just sales in general.

I also think the 4w is one of the best clubs you can put into the bag of a vast majority of amateurs.

Having an adjustable fairway wood you can loft up your 3W (which I do) or deloft your 5W.

Having an adjustable fairway wood you can loft up your 3W (which I do) or deloft your 5W.
I definitely agree adjustability has played a role when it comes to SKU’s.

I also wonder though as we see more bonded fairway woods (and we seem to be seeing an increase in them) if we see the return of the 4w?

I played a 17* PT 4 for years but it didn’t have 4 wood on it. I am back to a 14* wood these days I need the distance.

I really want a 4w. A long time ago when I did a fitting I actually hit a Taylormade Rocketballz 4w farther than a 3w, yet I continue to fight it and do things like going with the Big Tour FW this year. Someday I will learn that spin is my friend haha

Still rocking my old school 4w...

While I have hit 4w's, for me it doesn't work with the gapping. I'm also lucky that I don't have any issues hitting a 3W off the deck to that helps.

I really want a 4w. A long time ago when I did a fitting I actually hit a Taylormade Rocketballz 4w farther than a 3w, yet I continue to fight it and do things like going with the Big Tour FW this year. Someday I will learn that spin is my friend haha
I stumbled upon a Rogue tour issue 4+ that I’ve stared at on the shelf for some time now. I know how good a 4w is for me, but I too keep fighting it, even going 13.5 at times (and hitting it well, but the ease of the 4w is real!)

I stumbled upon a Rogue tour issue 4+ that I’ve stared at on the shelf for some time now. I know how good a 4w is for me, but I too keep fighting it, even going 13.5 at times (and hitting it well, but the ease of the 4w is real!)
Haha hence my comment about the Big Tour...which i have now lofted up to 15* :LOL: I really did have intentions of trying the Cobra Tour 4/5 this year but stock issues at the time of Morgan Cup ordering was an issue. BUT maybe I should look at that as an option later this season just for fun:unsure:

I still have my old 4 wood and used to use it a lot, but it's not different enough from my 3W and 5W to carry it. I need more wedges these days.

My 3HL is a 16.5° 4

My 3HL is a 16.5° 4
Yup, but it’s def curious as to why they stopped labeling them 4w. I mean, it’s def a marketing thing, but it is curious.

Love the 16.5 loft range btw. Pure fun.

Still using a 16.5 TE EX10 Beta -

Thinking about the EXS 220 16.5 (3 wd for marketing) at 42.5 in

Last edited:
Just a loft jacked 5 wood :)

I’m not sure I follow this thread. I have been playing a Fore Wood for years.

The only 4we I can ever recall gaming was a 975F 17°. I also gamed a deep faced 975D 3wd at the same time. Basically, used 3 for tee shots and 4 for fairway shots. Felt like a waste.

One company I bought a bunch from on the 2000's had a unique approach. They labeled all their woods as .5's. They had 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, and 6.5 available. So, was the 4.5 a 4 or a 5? I don't know their number on sales, but I thought that was kinda original to mitigate the stigma.

A long time ago I had a 4 wood, some no name knockoff.
Now I am swinging the M2 3HL and love it.

Are the 3HL clubs actually 4 woods or simply higher lofted 3 woods? Honest question. I've never owned one.

#4WMafia

I love a 4w for ease of use... the Mav SZ 4w is an easy launching bomber. HIstorically 6w and 8w are pretty rare beasts, to the OP's point. 2W doesn;t seen to be a thing anymore either. I like to see 4w on a club (Callaway) as opposed to the 3HL moniker (Taylor Made) from marketing perspective, but I get that more people would buy a 3HL than a 4W.

Are the 3HL clubs actually 4 woods or simply higher lofted 3 woods? Honest question. I've never owned one.

Well considering clubs dont have a rule on what is what... I would argue 3HL = 4 wood but others will say since the 3HL and 3 wood have the same length shaft 3HL != 4 wood.

Back