47-48 inch driver who else considering?

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Who else thinking of a 47-48 inch driver? On phone with PXG today and they can use one of their light forgiving adjustable heads on a 50-60 gram shaft for $275-350 or so on Veterans discount (available all one month more) and build me one. I considering carrying a standard club and one of these as I walk with 10-12 clubs anyway. Would use on certain situations
. The upside to get back even 15 yards seems very obvious as I am a former low handicap player who has lost SS due to injuries but still hits it pretty square. Should I pull the plug?

I’m not considering it but it solidified my thoughts on keeping my driver at 45.5 inches.

I still struggle finding centre on a 44.5... not sure the 48” would do me any good. But if you’re able to make good, consistent contact - why not?

I have played from 44-46 and honestly haven’t found a huge difference in terms of distance. But I was also terrible at swinging a driver then. I think I could give it a go with my swing now but on bad days, I’m sure it wouldn’t be worth it to potentially add 1-3 mph of head speed. I can do that going with a lighter shaft.

You won’t be able to play a LD driver and a regular one in the same round. Two entirely different swings and mindsets.

But I’m not one to talk someone out of this so jump if you wanna!

Being 5’4”, 48” would nearly be as tall as me. I’ve played 45” for a couple years now. I’ve tried 45.75 recently and on good strikes I was maybe 5 yds longer. More mishits though. I find when the club gets too long I start guide my swing vs swinging more freely.

Go for it. Experiments are fun. It would be a hard pass for me. I play 45 3/4 and I'm very confident that is near the limits of benefits vs. drawbacks for me.

Last edited:
I still struggle finding centre on a 44.5... not sure the 48” would do me any good. But if you’re able to make good, consistent contact - why not?
Flattest back swing on EARTH with the 52 I tried. And it took FOREVER for the club to come around. I felt like the center of a wind power windmill holding a 120 foot blade.

I want a LD club for fun and scrambles. I just haven’t got around to buying one. Like 48” and 5* of loft.

Reactions: J4U
Flattest back swing on EARTH with the 52 I tried. And it took FOREVER for the club to come around. I felt like the center of a wind power windmill holding a 120 foot blade.
I can picture EXACTLY how that would feel!!

I don't think the loss of possible control is worth the extra distance.

I did exact opposite...Cut an inch off my Epic Flash. Have actually added distance as my swings are catching center of face more often. My opinion is better ways to get your yardage back.

Order the swingweight really heavy so I can pick up one of these used and butt cut it when everyone dumps them.

I want a LD club for fun and scrambles. I just haven’t got around to buying one. Like 48” and 5* of loft.
Maybe just attach a hammer head to an Aldila 50 shaft?

I used to play with a guy that got the newest oem driver every year. Would just lavish praise on it. On an on.
He'd show up with a 6 year old model with a 43" shaft that he still couldn't hit.
He went on to become a "golf equipment reviewer." ;)

I say, Bring it On!!

If I bite will be 47” long - thanks and whatever can cut off later and easily change, remove or add weight plugs PXG to balance out perhaps.

I did exact opposite...Cut an inch off my Epic Flash. Have actually added distance as my swings are catching center of face more often. My opinion is better ways to get your yardage back.
Yep, I play at 44.5" for consistency purposes.

Back