47-48 inch driver who else considering?

Again I plan to play two if I do - I have a newer nice Titleist S3 with a light regular Kurokage shaft that I hit well and can move the ball around (love the club). This would be reserved for wide open holes or where I need a club to potentially reach a par 5 in two - i am 62, a former Army club champion and swing about 95 mph but testing a longer club I was getting around 98-100. That a big difference and picked up a lot of carry especially without adding spin. I can bag the FX PXG on a Veteran deal for about $270 and seriously considering doing so 2-3 inches long as the weights on that club are adjustable as is loft etc. I have built custom clubs in past and would be easy to modify back to near normal specs if could not hit.

I may next year for scrambles, cause that just sounds like a fun and brilliant idea

PXG fit me into and built at 46" seems to be no problem hitting it in the one round.

I will also add most average golfers could do much better Adding distance by copying Bryson's swing rather than trying to use a 48" driver. It's pretty easy to hit the ball square with a single plane swing if you do not sway and are aligned properly.

Last edited:
Be patient with the longer length. It took me almost one season of practicing and playing to get comfortable with the 47" driver.
Yes, It'll give you some more distance.
It will also cause injury if you're not physically fit to swing a longe driver. For it'll demand more from your body to perform the golf swing.
Try one flex stiffer than your normal driver; even with a balanced feel, because of the length, a stiffer flex will feel the same as the normal.
Good luck and enjoy the journey.

The issue for many will be that longer = more likely to slice. I knwo when I took an inch off my Driver, it helped me a lot, as far as accuracy is concerned.

Still on fence but considering the move. Thanks great inputs

As soon as I can hit my 45" driver have way decent then I'll think about 47-48 inches. ;)

For 265 probably doing this in a week or so as can always trade in a PXG

I would like one for scrambles.

Other than that, I don't practice enough with Driver to feel like I could control it. If I had a swing that was relatively neutral then I think it could be a fun season long experiment.

When I was younger, I'm 65 now, I had a friend make me up a 48-inch driver with a trident head and grafalloy shaft. When I was younger I could swing and get the clubface square, and now I really don't want to even try. I could probably do it but at what cost, dispersion woes. Even at age 65 I trade distance for accuracy , and going to a club like that is going in the wrong direction for me. All this rave about distance, and not enough raving about accuracy in my opinion.

I'm considering going as long as legal.
20 years ago I gamed a 50" steel shaft on a Callaway Warbird head. It took me a bucket of balls to get the swing dialed in on it, but it was a rocket launcher and I was very accurate with it. I had it built for LD contests, but hit it so accurate that it went in the bag as my everyday gamer.

I have gone the opposite direction. 44 1/2 inches. Also have some in inventory that go up to 46 inches but don't see the benefits of going any longer.

Been doing it for a few years. I've always been really straight with the driver but slow swing speed. If your straight to start with give it a shot. Can always cut later. Must mention that Im tall so that factors into the lie angle.

I have gone the opposite direction. 44 1/2 inches. Also have some in inventory that go up to 46 inches but don't see the benefits of going any longer.
Absolutely, I just cut down my 4 Wood about 3/4 inch and have been hitting it fantastic.

Jimmy Demaret
“You know what they say about big hitters…the woods are full of them.”

Well here is the updated deal - speaking again with very good PXG fitter they can built me a 1 1/4 inch longer standard shafted 0811 club no upgrade with the 50 gram regular shaft I want and they after previous fitting they don’t recommend going any longer; but recommended a 10.5 set at 10.75 and weights moved a little due to my natural draw (fight a hook). Can get for only 270$ as a Veteran. I have a 63rd bday 2 weeks and will buy very likely - as my son who works at a 2nd swing says I can always get a good trade back on any PXG if don’t like. I also have the ability to add an inch lightweight plug through golfworks later but will test as is rest of year first. Would have to fool around with weights if did that and probably add loft. What the heck got little to lose!

Well here is the updated deal - speaking again with very good PXG fitter they can built me a 1 1/4 inch longer standard shafted 0811 club no upgrade with the 50 gram regular shaft I want and they after previous fitting they don’t recommend going any longer; but recommended a 10.5 set at 10.75 and weights moved a little due to my natural draw (fight a hook). Can get for only 270$ as a Veteran. I have a 63rd bday 2 weeks and will buy very likely - as my son who works at a 2nd swing says I can always get a good trade back on any PXG if don’t like. I also have the ability to add an inch lightweight plug through golfworks later but will test as is rest of year first. Would have to fool around with weights if did that and probably add loft. What the heck got little to lose!
Make sure you get this longer length with the firm flex. Half to one flex stiffer than the flex you're fitted for at the regular 45" length.
If you were fitted a 5.0 at 45" go 5.5 to 6.0 at a longer length. Is there a way you can try this out first ? Or can they build two ( or more ) shafts with different flex for you to pick one ? with the hosel adapter, it should be an easy task to switch between the shafts .
Golfer who slice with the longer length , most likely stayed with the same flex as what's in the shorter length.

it will be slightly stiffer and what is a slice? I have drawn or hooked the ball since I was born! thanks

I've seen people, often older guys, go to a longer driver shaft. But anyone I have seen have succees, their tempo is totally in check and its a smooth swinger of the club. Long driver lengths and fast tempo I'm not even sure how possible it is, outside of the long drive guys. For an average round, not many will swing a long driver that fast. Always found I could go a little lower in loft the longer the shaft. Mechanical advantage in play. (y)

Been playing 48" drivers for about 3 years. Can not play a short 45 incher or so. Love the tempo a longer driver needs. And as Control is mentioned... this is not a problem -- 95% of the time I am in the middle of the fairway and it helps keep my handicap 5 - at 73 years old.

BTW - what shaft are you thinking to get 48" Driver? the reason I ask is most are only 46" long these days.. which gives a net 46-47" long -

I have to lengthen any shaft about an 1" to 1 1/2 " to get my 48" long driver. I have 5 of them in my quiver - each one has a few differences in feel and launch trajectory. Just got a Aldila Tour Blue which will be installed next to experiment. (y)

I can get 46 3/4 from PXG with several regular light shafts still considering and then maybe would extend. Nice thing about PXG head very easy to add or take off weight and as Veteran would be buying under $300 (think all can till end of month).

48 is the new 45:drinks:

I can get 46 3/4 from PXG with several regular light shafts still considering and then maybe would extend. Nice thing about PXG head very easy to add or take off weight and as Veteran would be buying under $300 (think all can till end of month).

if you extend a graphite shaft -- the easiest way I found is do not use the off the shelf extenders ( they dont work very well ) .. but if you have a scrap graphite shaft laying around - use a piece of that - just scrape the paint off and press it into the butt end with this piece about 2-2 1/2 inches inside and bond it in place. shafting epoxy works great for this. then use a larger piece to slide over the extended part and epoxy that to match the OD of the shaft. cut to length and one can not tell it has been extended after you lightly sand the joint. (y)

Who else thinking of a 47-48 inch driver? On phone with PXG today and they can use one of their light forgiving adjustable heads on a 50-60 gram shaft for $275-350 or so on Veterans discount (available all one month more) and build me one. I considering carrying a standard club and one of these as I walk with 10-12 clubs anyway. Would use on certain situations
. The upside to get back even 15 yards seems very obvious as I am a former low handicap player who has lost SS due to injuries but still hits it pretty square. Should I pull the plug?

I can't see that far.

In June picked up a new driver with a stock 45.5. To my amazement could not swing it as fast as my 2017 44 1/8 inch driver. Just feels awkward to me. I'm sure related to my swing flaws but I prefer to just hit an extra fairway or too. yesterday on a par 4 I had just 58 yards to the pin after my drive. I hit my SW like 100 yards after I skulled the ball. I need a short game more then 15 more yards

Back