47-48 inch driver who else considering?

For the most part, the OEM's are all about hawking distance. If a 48-inch driver was a game changer, I am sure it would be in stores already.

They might just do that once they run out of new Paint Schemes :D

if you extend a graphite shaft -- the easiest way I found is do not use the off the shelf extenders ( they dont work very well ) .. but if you have a scrap graphite shaft laying around - use a piece of that - just scrape the paint off and press it into the butt end with this piece about 2-2 1/2 inches inside and bond it in place. shafting epoxy works great for this. then use a larger piece to slide over the extended part and epoxy that to match the OD of the shaft. cut to length and one can not tell it has been extended after you lightly sand the joint. (y)
Thanks have used this type of technique in past

For the most part, the OEM's are all about hawking distance. If a 48-inch driver was a game changer, I am sure it would be in stores already.
Cobra tried it before with the Long Tom.

I had a 47 inch driver, it was very difficult to get good contact and control. You are so use to a certain swing that those extra 2+ inches really change things

Cobra tried it before with the Long Tom.

Correct but I doubt if it was the Long Tom length where it failed., I have hit that club and it just does not perform even it it was 44" -45". Some heads just don't lend themselves to long shafts and some do. The Pings specially with SFT do very well with 48" shafts, the Cobras and Titleist do not. Your Mileage may vary.o_O

Correct but I doubt if it was the Long Tom length where it failed., I have hit that club and it just does not perform even it it was 44" -45". Some heads just don't lend themselves to long shafts and some do. The Pings specially with SFT do very well with 48" shafts, the Cobras and Titleist do not. Your Mileage may vary.o_O
That one was literally designed to be played at 48”, literally, so trying it at 44-45 is apples to oranges.

I did exact opposite...Cut an inch off my Epic Flash. Have actually added distance as my swings are catching center of face more often. My opinion is better ways to get your yardage back.
I just did the same with my new (to me) Epic Flash. I already had a short Fuji Pro 73 for it, assembled it plays at only 44".

Fairway finder. I'd been struggling terribly with driver with my G400 Max and G410 Plus. This set-up straightened me right out.

I was at Golf Galaxy the other day. Wasn't looking for anything . Just "drooling" mostly. I do the same thing at Harbor Freight.

Anyways, I got to talking with an employee about a longer driver. My current driver is standard length, what ever that is.

It happened to be, that he had a 48" demo driver. He let me hit several balls with. It was very awkward to swing this club to say the least. I'm talking major league awkward here. I suspect my normal swing tempo/timing/balance didn't work very well with the longer club.

However, on the very, very few decent ball flights I hit, (swinging faster) the extra 15+/- yards was there. This brought up a question about just swinging my current driver faster for the same yardage.

I'm not in the market right now for any new clubs. That's not to say that in the future, a longer driver could be useful. Never say never.

I just did the same with my new (to me) Epic Flash. I already had a short Fuji Pro 73 for it, assembled it plays at only 44".

Fairway finder. I'd been struggling terribly with driver with my G400 Max and G410 Plus. This set-up straightened me right out.
Played last few days with some buds...On one hole a bud hit a crazy long drive....Asked to see his club and told him I cut an inch off my driver...He has a Rogue Callaway..Put mine along side his.....same length....Both are 45....and that is longer than clubs I swung a few years prior...

I have a 48" shaft in my Bridgestone 815 right now. I keep it around for scrambles and to just mess around with. The loft on the head is too high for that application, but when you catch it - ball go far.

Hard pass for me. It's not going to help me with anything if "farther" ends up being "farther into the rough" or "farther out of bounds".

Thanks have used this type of technique in past
So what did you do? Did you get the longer PXG? If ya did, how is it playing?

Swinging a longer shaft does not always translate to more distance..but it will 100% always lead to less accuracy.

So what did you do? Did you get the longer PXG? If ya did, how is it playing?

I ended up with a compromise of sorts going with a 46 1/2 inch PXG and hitting very well so far and will be fooling around some adjustments on it this week. That is most I could get without an up charge after some back and forth. I might extend one inch down road but if did would likely carry two drivers and drop an iron when riding (walking I usually go 10-12 clubs). I am thinking of trying a longer fairway wood as well as so far hitting longer club actually straighter.

Not for me. I’d prefer to get my standard driver in the fairway more often. Distance is fine with me.

Not for me. I’d prefer to get my standard driver in the fairway more often. Distance is fine with me.

Funny thing is I am much straighter so far with an 1 1/2 long shaft - it just seems to slow my tempo or something I have not figured out yet. but I am getting +15 yards at least with tighter dispersion with a consistent nice small draw. But not going to jump up even longer without seeing major benefit.

Went 46" with the PXG proto X per the fitting and I didn't see a big jump in really anything, but at 6 ft tall I can get away with it as I tend to be very upright in the swing anyway.

I had one in the late 70's made with a 48" shaft. Loved to hit it long, but that small persimmon head was just too small, maybe wit the newer 460 heads.....but then again, my eyes aren't as good now either lol

I think trying something new is fun. I don’t think I could make it work for myself.

I have enough trouble keeping my 44.5 to 45 length shafts in the fairway, no way I would be able to get a 48 to find it. :ROFLMAO:

Back