47-48 inch driver who else considering?

I took a few swings with @DannyLe 47.5" shaft. I wasn't able to square up the clubface in the swings I took, but think with some more swings it would be interesting.

I haven't done it myself but I've hit a driver with a 47" setup before. I found that I had to slow my tempo down to make good contact, but out of the small sample I could definitely see why someone who is more consistent than I am would give this a run. You can always choke up for holes where you need some more control. That said, I have enough trouble keeping a standard driver on the property, so pass for my game right now.

a 48 would be interesting to try but.....I already have occasional arguments with my 45. So no, I would not carry one

So I have been looking to upgrade my shaft in my Epic Flash....I play an evenflow green Reg 55g. I hit it very well. Very accurate. But on ave 220ish ....So that distance bug grabs me hard and often. Especially when I play courses I use to play back when...... and I shudder at the thought of how I use to play the holes vs now.....So anyway....I do my grips and dabble with a few things and get all my stuff from Golfworks…..So about a week ago I got a note from them that they were discounting their Kuro Kage 2nd gen driver shafts...I have been looking for a firm tip firm butt and soft in the center shaft....I have had thoughs to just do it and get the Kinetixx Velocity but all in with adaptor that's $300 and not that I can't afford it but it is these type things that make my wife engage and have her spend equally.....Ha....So the Kuro Kage came yesterday Reg at 57 G....By evening I had the adaptor on and was getting ready to cut it and thought....WTH....Why Not...so instead I just threw the grip on...How long was it...really long...3 and 1/2 inches longer than the club with the evenflow shaft...I didn't measure it...I figured I'll give it a go as is and if that's a bad plan well, rip the grip off and cut it...So I go to the course today Nansemond River.....Had a chat with the pro there a few months ago...Course has some great bones but they have been building houses like crazy and none of the people in the neighborhood join...all of 5 members from adjacent properties...So the good news for me is...There is hardly anybody out there.....And banging crap balls at a range just is BS...So 1st hole is a par 3 and I put my 6 iron to 2 feet.....2nd hole is a pretty open par 5 and I figure here will be the first test...I launch 5 drives with the long club. My tempo is pretty even and slow...anyway with the 5 balls I nut 3...hit 1 ok and 1 I leave out a little. All go relatively straight....I then unplug the head and reshaft it with my evenflow and rip 3 balls of which 2 are hit very well and 1 is hit ok....As I meander out to the balls...The 1 ball hit with the KK is the shortest out right but it's only about 10 yards behind 2 of the 3 with the EF....The 3rd EF ball is next to pick up...Then there is 1 ball to left slightly and 10 forward and 3 balls ahead 2 by 20 and 1 by 30....so first blush is this club is 20/25 longer...and not off target...
So I reattach the KK and off we go on the round...I figure WTH...We'll just play it. Over the next 6 holes, 5 are 4's and 5's....I have played this course about 6 times and can judge where my drives go vs previous plays.....on 5 of the 6 holes my drives are past my best previous by at least 10 yards...On the one hole it's a good 25 past my previous best. The one that wasn't past my previous best was about equal to...No bad misses....infact through the whole round with another 15 drives...not one miss...Yea a few that were like my previous average type drive....but a hand full of 20 yards past previous bests...I even experiment with a few chocked up swings...kinda like that gal on the LPGA does Beth Henderson I think........and I hit them all well.....a day of about 30 drives with the long boy...I believe it measures out to 48 1/2....Like I said I took the shaft and just installed it and gripped it...so the 46 shaft I presume as I didn't measure it....
When I got it put together....I threw it in my weight scale devise....an old balance Golf Works scale...The driver was D9....and it felt heavy....So I removed the adjustable weight that helps with draw and fade...the weight, screw and inner connector...reweighed and what do you know....D0...Which is what I swing with most all of my clubs.....
So for now...Got this club that sticks out of my bag by a full head over my 3W....Ha...Shot a smooth 79...with a 36 on front and walking carrying and no water on course and dragging in as the mental and physical and hitting bunches of extra drives...
First impression...Glad I didn't cut it......

I figure if Rick Shiels can’t keep a 48” on the planet and the robot guy from 2nd Swing was better at 45.5” than 48” there’s no reason for me to even try it.

I once did a test with a 44” and 46” and I swung the 44” faster cause I felt more control over it.

So I’m going for it. I am finally getting my linq tipped up for my cobra (ya it’s taken a while due to life). Going to have it play 47.5 and see what happens haha.
Then if I don’t like it I’ll just cut it down to the longest I can play decent with.

Two more rounds with my 48 Epic and gotta say I am surprised...I haven't hit a really bad one yet. Between yesterday and today rounds in Pinehurst at Mid South and Talamore another 32 drives and my big miss is like 15 off line and maybe 20 short of expected....My thought is it is so long and awkward as I stand over it....I can't wind it up or go after it hard....So I just pull it back and pull it through and they just fly pretty straight and farther than I have gotten in a while. Came to a big dogleg par 5 and thought wth...so I teed it way up and tried to fly the corner....I crushed it just off line so I didn't cut the corner.

I'm going the opposite direction, I have a stock Cobra F9 (45.25" w/o Arccos grip). I taped off 3/4" from the end of the grip and added my last 6g of lead tape near the existing weights to make it as similar to the Tour Length models they sell as I could. I can only hit indoors as winter is in full swing up here in Canada. My face contact is a lot more centered around the sweet spot in initial testing. The extra head weight also helps to increase MOI.

The biggest "driver" :rolleyes: for this change was that I want to ensure a positive AoA (target of 4 degrees) and was consistently hitting the ball high on the face near the crown when teeing up high. My plan is to buy the actual Cobra head weights online and a TL shaft to setup the club either way, or trim the existing shaft if results are positive on a few simulator rounds and when I get on GC Quad with my instructor.

My driver P-Avg in Shot Scope was 270 w/35% fairways for the season vs 250 w/54% with my 17 degree hybrid - contact quality is definitely an issue with Driver. I often avoid driver due to spraying it around, so direction control is my priority. I am going offset any distance losses the Bryson way; lifting weights and using my SuperSpeed sticks this winter... Increasing AoA 2-3 degrees is just as easy way to pickup 10-20 yards as learning to hit a club 3" longer. But if you can do both, more power to you.

Back