AZRhode

Reaction score
Handicap
4.8 GHIN
I'm having a dilema on whether to go with a 4i or 4h.

With starting at 5i, I have a gap in my bag over 200-205yrds. That's the max I can normally get my 5i without swinging out of my shoes which is never a good option for me.

The Adams A7 4H goes 220-230 and it's tough for me to ease up on it without going sideways with it.

I hit my 4i pretty good. It's an AP1 4i shafted to match my AP2's and is reasonably easy to hit but definately not as easy as the A7 4h.

My options are:

Keep what I have with the 4h/5i split. I only hit the 4h on Par 5s 1-2 times a round so I can live with it.

Swap the 4h for the 4i. 4i is not as forgiving and doesn't go as far, but I hit it pretty good.

Keep the 4h and take out the 3h. This would create a gap between my 3w and 4h but not as big of an issue.

Keep both the 4h and 4i and change my wedge setup. I RARELY hit my SW, almost exclusively out of the sand. My LW is everything inside of 100 and I could change to a PW/54/60 instead of my current PW/51/56/60.

I'm going to get two CG15's soon anyway, so that may be a setup worth trying.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

How far do you hit your 4i? Logical step to me is to take the 3h out, and put in the 4i. then it will fill the gap between your 4i and 4h, if im guessing correctly. 210 is a magic number, and the gap between the 4h and 3w is probably worth laying up anyways.

I went to the course and tried both 4i and 4h and I've decided to go with the 4i for now. A little more control in the summer when it's firm and fast. I play alot in the summer so I'm swining better. I only use either of them 1-3 times a round, normally for a 2nd shot on a par 5.

Thanks for the input.

This may be a stupid reason, but I like to keep my 4I in the bag due to the fact that I can hit low, punch, "get under the tree" shots with it that I can seem to use a hybrid for.

This may be a stupid reason, but I like to keep my 4I in the bag due to the fact that I can hit low, punch, "get under the tree" shots with it that I can seem to use a hybrid for.

Im with you on the 4I punch shot. Dropped my 4I for the 3 and 4H and its more difficult to execute this shot with both of them. So, I do my best to stay out of the trees haha

I use my 3h for the same thing. just move the ball back in my stance and presto! Aside from driver and putter, I hate to keep clubs in my bag that can only do one thing

Back