5 - 10 - 15 Challenge

I've been struggling with exercise lately. My back and rib cage has really been bothering me. Went to doc - bad disc in thoracic spine causing probs. Will be careful w/exercise but will keep on keeping on. My posture is terrible and I know it's adding to my problems.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped on the scale this morning. Back down to 6 lbs lost since beginning of thread. I had jumped up a bit lately and couldn't figure out why. I did have my thyroid levels checked yesterday. I haven't had a thyroid in years and it gets out of whack from time to time. Sometimes that makes it very hard for me to get going. Guess I'm looking for an excuse. :struggle:

So proud of all of your successes. I'm so determined that I'm going to be successful too!! I even bought some shorts that are smaller than I wear now because I know I will need them as soon as it warms up. Now that's positive thinking!

The BF and I have our own challenge going on that we just started :) Everyday, I will start off with 25 sit-ups, then increase by 5 everyday. So I did 20 yesterday and will do 25 today! And the BF doubles that. I'm also doing push ups (I HATE push ups), starting off with 5 yesterday and increasing to 1 a day. So today, I'll have to do 6 pushups :crying: And the BF will double whatever I do. This we will do everyday and we've committed to doing yoga once a week!!

Kb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

i've been struggling with exercise lately. My back and rib cage has really been bothering me. Went to doc - bad disc in thoracic spine causing probs. Will be careful w/exercise but will keep on keeping on. My posture is terrible and i know it's adding to my problems.

Anyway, i was pleasantly surprised when i stepped on the scale this morning. Back down to 6 lbs lost since beginning of thread. I had jumped up a bit lately and couldn't figure out why. I did have my thyroid levels checked yesterday. I haven't had a thyroid in years and it gets out of whack from time to time. Sometimes that makes it very hard for me to get going. Guess i'm looking for an excuse. :struggle:

So proud of all of your successes. I'm so determined that i'm going to be successful too!! I even bought some shorts that are smaller than i wear now because i know i will need them as soon as it warms up. Now that's positive thinking!

I've been struggling with exercise lately. My back and rib cage has really been bothering me. Went to doc - bad disc in thoracic spine causing probs. Will be careful w/exercise but will keep on keeping on. My posture is terrible and I know it's adding to my problems.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped on the scale this morning. Back down to 6 lbs lost since beginning of thread. I had jumped up a bit lately and couldn't figure out why. I did have my thyroid levels checked yesterday. I haven't had a thyroid in years and it gets out of whack from time to time. Sometimes that makes it very hard for me to get going. Guess I'm looking for an excuse. :struggle:

So proud of all of your successes. I'm so determined that I'm going to be successful too!! I even bought some shorts that are smaller than I wear now because I know I will need them as soon as it warms up. Now that's positive thinking!

Way to get going again Kelly-Bo! 6lbs and with no thyroid is huge accomplishment. You have to work twice as hard as all of us to burn those calories. You and Ole Gray are going to be quite the fashion plates when we see you in May.

I know what you mean about buying something you can't fit into as motivation. It works! And you will need those shorts very soon. As I've been dropping sizes, I've been hauling out of their hiding placed in my house a pair of pants or a dress that is the next size down and hanging it on my closet door to remind me what I'm working towards. Yesterday opened a box with clothes I haven't seen in two years. Kind of fun, I must say.

Ole Gray is looking good!!! When he walked in the room today with his golf attire on, I said WOW! He is working so hard and it is really showing! He is burning fat and firming up his body so quickly.

Got my x-ray report back and it said I have degenerative changes in my thoracic spine (I already knew I had one bad disc there). My doc thinks this is causing my back and rib pain. I have a bad disc in my neck too that I need to have surgery for but I'm going to put that off for about 20 years or so. :) Good news is my thyroid levels are normal. It's tough getting old! I will make it just fine though. I'm used to being stiff and achy. Just pop some ibuprofen when it's bad and keep on keeping on. I am careful not to take it too often. Ole Gray gave me a gift certificate for a professional massage for Xmas and I had it last weekend. OMG! The best therapy ever for an ailing back!

Anyway, I've been a slacker on going to the gym. I did play 18 holes yesterday and was exhausted afterwards. I'm going to play again today. It's going to be 66* and I'm stoked. Still eating healthy and trying to stay active. Just not doing what I need to do ....... aerobics and strength training!!!! Heck, I think I'll go this morning before I play golf. I can do it!!!!!

Update: Went to the gym before playing golf. I made 15 minutes on the elliptical today. That's my best so far. It's tough for me! My legs were burning good but I toughed it out and I am so glad I did. My goal is to stay on it at least 20 minutes. It is such a great cardio exercise. Had a really good workout on the weight machines and then headed to the course for 18 holes. I'm beat!

Last edited:
I hate hearing that about your spine. Take care and don't over do it and make it worse. Looking forward to seeing you, SW FLA and a leaner, trimmer Ole Gray on Tuesday.

Hey guys, I haven't been able to be as active on THP lately due to work and thus I haven't been keeping up on this thread too much. I have skimmed through a little and it sounds like everyone is doing great, congratulations!!! As for myself I am ecstatic with my new lifestyle. I am down 16 lbs since we started this and I have completely transformed my diet. I have been doing 45 minutes on the elliptical machine 5 times a week and lifting some weights also to increase core strength. I'm loving this and I owe you all a big thank you for giving me the inspiration to give myself a new lifestyle. Keep up the good work everybody!

Well, I finally got off my dead a$$, and started. I did my first round of yoga yesterday, and I'm feeling it this morning. A friend of my wife is a fitness instructor, so I sent her an email asking for advice on some problem areas with the yoga DVD. She is going to be sending me some stuff that should help, along with some golf specific stretches etc.

Hey guys, I haven't been able to be as active on THP lately due to work and thus I haven't been keeping up on this thread too much. I have skimmed through a little and it sounds like everyone is doing great, congratulations!!! As for myself I am ecstatic with my new lifestyle. I am down 16 lbs since we started this and I have completely transformed my diet. I have been doing 45 minutes on the elliptical machine 5 times a week and lifting some weights also to increase core strength. I'm loving this and I owe you all a big thank you for giving me the inspiration to give myself a new lifestyle. Keep up the good work everybody!

Well, I finally got off my dead a$$, and started. I did my first round of yoga yesterday, and I'm feeling it this morning. A friend of my wife is a fitness instructor, so I sent her an email asking for advice on some problem areas with the yoga DVD. She is going to be sending me some stuff that should help, along with some golf specific stretches etc.

Great job guys! It's these upbeat posts that keep us motivated. Keep working hard and Oregon, dude 16 lbs! All I got to say is wow and congrats for the hard work. You guys keep er going :clapp:

P.S. Dawgdaddy -- My weight is only a 7 lb drop but my body is much tighter and firmer so the hard sweat at the gym is doing the trick. I have to burn off another 8 lbs to reach my goal prior to May and that should be a done deal by tee off time :thumb: My goal is to be a bigger but leaner old man if that makes sense......

Looks like everyone has caught the 5-10-15 fever.......great job everyone! I did my normal Sunday weigh in and lost another 4.5lbs this week, so I'm down 20.5lbs. in my first month and haven't started exercising yet.......that comes tomorrow. The only exercise I've been getting is dealing with the 1-2 feet of snow we've been getting on a weekly basis......can't wait to spring! Well off to IHOP to start my day of eating whatever I want......yum!

Man you got some serious dedication with your diet and to be able to reward yourself at the end of the week is so cool! Great job buddy and looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks :thumb:

I stay outta this thread for whatever reason but it's the end of the month and as of this morning I'm on track for my goal, 3.8lbs down 11.2 to go before WPB. Of course my vacation next week is gonne result in a few more tire pulls to work off the calories :)

Sick stuff Pirate.

Weighed in at 245.0 on the dot yesterday. Still eatin good and Im loving the results. Hoping to kill the 30 lb goal I set! 4 weeks straight of 5 days a week for the gym. Andrea was able to keep up running with me too. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoccos is going to the gym 5 days a week!!!!!! Putting me to shame but Ole Gray is keeping up with ya pretty good. That is awesome! Great job SWFla!!! Can't wait to meet you Tuesday.

I walked 16 holes today instead of riding in the cart. We stopped at 16 because the last 2 holes would have killed us all with the hills. This is the first time I've ever gone past 9 holes and its been a while since I've done that. Our course is VERY hilly so I'm dead tired. That's my exercise for today. Just finished off a delicious salad for supper.

WTG KellyBo, I have never even been tempted to try to walk Jonesco, it is much more hilly than Little Fishing Creek. I probably would try the front nine though. You and OG take care and I will see you and SW FLA in a couple of days.

Nice walk KB! That had to have been killer but worth it!

Sounds like everyone here is doing awesome with their goals. Is anyone else noticing a difference in their golf distances? I played today for the first time since the end of Nov. and noticed a HUGE difference from what I was used to seeing distance wise last season. My swing was a little rusty so it took me a few holes to get comfortable with my irons and woods, but I hit the longest drive that I've ever hit (measured by GPS at least) and was hitting my irons much farther than normal.

I can see that distance gain being both a positive and a negative thing. I hit a 9 iron 160'ish on a par 3, which was a good thing. However, it was only 140 to the front of the green and 155 to the back, which was a bad thing haha.

Yoccos is going to the gym 5 days a week!!!!!! Putting me to shame but Ole Gray is keeping up with ya pretty good. That is awesome! Great job SWFla!!! Can't wait to meet you Tuesday.

I walked 16 holes today instead of riding in the cart. We stopped at 16 because the last 2 holes would have killed us all with the hills. This is the first time I've ever gone past 9 holes and its been a while since I've done that. Our course is VERY hilly so I'm dead tired. That's my exercise for today. Just finished off a delicious salad for supper.

You do have a hilly course.
I love walking though and if I had my choice I would rarely ride. I tend to shoot better when I walk too, but I am not really sure why.

Sounds like everyone here is doing awesome with their goals. Is anyone else noticing a difference in their golf distances? I played today for the first time since the end of Nov. and noticed a HUGE difference from what I was used to seeing distance wise last season. My swing was a little rusty so it took me a few holes to get comfortable with my irons and woods, but I hit the longest drive that I've ever hit (measured by GPS at least) and was hitting my irons much farther than normal.

I can see that distance gain being both a positive and a negative thing. I hit a 9 iron 160'ish on a par 3, which was a good thing. However, it was only 140 to the front of the green and 155 to the back, which was a bad thing haha.

Yep, I think so. I played 3 days straight this weekend and I was surprised that a lot of my iron shots were longer than usual. I was chipping from behind the green more than usual.

Sounds like everyone here is doing awesome with their goals. Is anyone else noticing a difference in their golf distances? I played today for the first time since the end of Nov. and noticed a HUGE difference from what I was used to seeing distance wise last season. .

Yep and the cool thing is the ball does not travel as far in the winter months and I am hitting less iron than I was last summer! I think it's from the five day weekly workouts. My initial goal was to lose 15 lbs., gain more strength and achieve better balance. I am getting all three which is exciting to say the least.

I'm glad to see so many sticking with their goals. I finally got myself finished moving so I started Insanity today (thanks to a friend letting me borrow it). I like to think of myself in somewhat decent shape but I wanted to keel over after the fit test. This is gonna be a rough couple of months.

I just bought some cereal because I need to start eating a proper breakfast, oranges, cauliflower, loose seed popcorn and caffeine free Dt. Mt. Dew to snack on during the day. I dropped about 2 lbs. during the PGA Show and I hope to get at least 15 more off by the end of this month.

Just finished a session of yoga at home using a DVD called "Yoga for Beginners". I started using this a few months ago and when I started using it, I could only do about 3 of 20 different poses. I now can do 19 of the 20 poses (still can't do one arm plank, but I may never be able to do that one!) AND I noticed how flexible I've become. I would really recommend this DVD ( http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Beginners-Barbara-Benagh/dp/B000H8RVSO/ref=sr_1_9?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1296679294&sr=1-9 ) to anyone here for not only the flexibility that it has helped my golf game but it has made a big impact on the way my body looks.

One final thing, that made me really excited today, I broke through another "decade" on the scale!! I stepped on this morning and I had a goal to see the next 10 down and I'm there by 1.5lbs!! That means I'm down 52lbs. I haven't been this thin in three years. I am so psyched to start shopping for new clothes.

Last edited:
Absolutely awesome Mary!!!!

Yoga is one of the best things I've done for myself, so cool that youve improved so much position wise and YAY for another decade!

I hit 214.2 from 216 with more gone from the ole waist and chest, so, I'm a happy camper right now. Back under my HS wrestling weight and WAY away from my football weight...thank god!

Too too cool Mary!

That's great Mary. I just bought a book called Golf Anatomy that is supposed to have some good golf related exercises in it. Anyone here ever read it? I may have to check out that Yoga video if I can't find some good exercises to suit me in the book. I really want to get more flexible and I know Yoga is one of the best ways to do it. So excited about your progress and successes!!!! I'll be glad when my weight gets down to the next 10 - I'm not too far from it and I know what a big deal it is every time you hit that new "decade"!!!

Back