5 clubs only.....

Driver, 3 hybrid, 7 iron, PW, putter

Check the scorecard for the par 3s.

Also Bring your ideal 5 clubs AND a putter. Try putting with your 3w. If it doesnt work out then ditch a club.
We had a little match in my class. Only 2 kids didnt bring their putters and I was one of them. It worked and I won. The extra iron/wedge came down to it.

I agree, I would never bring a putter if I was limited to 5 clubs. Plus, I can do a pretty decent job putting with the bottom of an iron... When I'm out on the course practicing I'll putt my extra balls with it rather than grabbing my putter.. Not awesome, but decent for sure.

Driver/21*/7i/9i/52*

Check the scorecard for the par 3s.

Also Bring your ideal 5 clubs AND a putter. Try putting with your 3w. If it doesnt work out then ditch a club.
We had a little match in my class. Only 2 kids didnt bring their putters and I was one of them. It worked and I won. The extra iron/wedge came down to it.

I agree with trying to go without the putter. The more clubs you can use for multiple purposes the better your chances are. I've played in many limited club competitions, and if the putter isn't required I never carry it. I've putted with both a 5W and a 4H, and in both cases I was able to putt nearly as well as I do with my putter. Because I was then able to carry an extra club that the others couldn't, I gained more strokes in the long game than I gave up on the green.

On a full size course (6200-6500 yards) I go with something like Driver, 4H, 7I, PW, and 56° wedge. That gives me a lot of shot options, and I putt with the 4H. On a shorter course I'll swap out the driver for a 3W, and go with a 5H, and maybe an 8I for the 7I, but leave the wedges the same.

These are fun tournaments. My association plays 2 or 3 of these a year, only we do it with 4 clubs....I like the idea of using an iron or hybrid as a putter....In your tournament I would probably bring 3 wood, 7 wood, 5 hybrid, 8 iron, 52*....Have fun....

Well this turned out to be a lot of fun, not counting the 20 mph gusts in our face on the final 3 holes! I went with the 3w, 6 & 9 irons, 50* gap and putter. I tried rolling a few with my 6 & 9 on the practice green, but couldn't get anything going with it so I kept the putter in the bag. Unfortunately, my short game let me down big time today and I shot a dissapointing 89. This was a great experience and it certainly makes you think about different types of shots than you would normally play in a typical round!!

Driver
6 iron
8 iron
51* wedge
putter

3 wood
5 iron
9 iron
54*
putter

R9 3 wood, love this thing off the tee so straight and
6 iron - prolly just there for the par 3's. Hopefully the 3 wood left me in the fw<150 yds!
7 iron- can hit it hard to 170 or choke down to 150
56*- again hard to 100 or light to 80
Putter- sorry no way I could use anything else on a 30 footer hahaha

Does sound fun i would like to try that sometime

I´d go with:

Driver
3 hybrid (as soon as I buy a new one)
7 iron
52*
Putter; and hope for the best.

It would be fun playing a round like that:D

I have never played in a tournament strictly like this but....

I did play in a scramble where each person was allowed one club and then there was a putter to share. You weren't allowed to hit another persons club.
The strategy of "who is bringing what club" made for a lot of excitement before the round but I got REALLY sick of hitting my 3h. REALLY sick. After playing it I don't think I would go out of my way to play that format again.

In this case I would have gone:
3h, 7i, 9i, 56*, Putter

Sorry to hear about your round, though there are quite a few people who would LOVE to shoot an 89 with all of there clubs!

3h, 5i, 8i, 56niblick, putter.

3 wood
5 iron
9 iron
56* wedge
putter

I'd have to go with"

1. 3Hybrid
2. 5 Iron
3. 9 Iron
4. 56* Wedge
5. Putter

I'd go with:

3H
6i
9i
SW
Putter

It would have to be the 4 wood, 7 iron, PW SW, Putter for me. "I never miss with the 7" :D:laugh:

3 wood
7 iron
9 iron
56* wedge
putter

Kind of wierd but it might work for me.

3w, 5i, 7i, pw, p

Back