5 clubs only.....

Johnboy12.5

Reaction score
Handicap
Ghin 9.1
if you could only use five clubs to play a round...which five would you play? Odd question I know, but our association is having a 5 club tournament this weekend and I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

I'm considering: 3 wood, 6 & 9 iron, 50* wedge and putter

3 hybrid, 7 iron, PW, 50* ,Putter

While most will focus on spreading them out, I will focus on my numbers and just trying to get inside of 125 where my wedges can take over.

3 hybrid, 7 iron, PW, 50* ,Putter

While most will focus on spreading them out, I will focus on my numbers and just trying to get inside of 125 where my wedges can take over.

Yah I considered that, in fact now that you mention it I would probably switch my 5 for a PW.

5w, 6i, 8i, Niblick, putter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing me, I would do a play by play of the course and then decide which clubs I need the most. At my course, I would probably take my driver, 7 wood, 7i, SW, and putter. That sounds like a fun tournament!

Driver
4h
7i
GW
Putter

Without knowing the course, my general purpose 5 would be #4 Utility, 6i, PW, 54*, Putter.

Tempting to swap the #4 Utility for the 3 wood, but the more compacted head on the UT is a little more versatile and it plays like a 5 wood.

Check the scorecard for the par 3s.

Also Bring your ideal 5 clubs AND a putter. Try putting with your 3w. If it doesnt work out then ditch a club.
We had a little match in my class. Only 2 kids didnt bring their putters and I was one of them. It worked and I won. The extra iron/wedge came down to it.

5W, 3Hy, 7I, SW, LW

Can close the face on the 7I to putt and I'd rather have a couple of wedges

3W, 4I, 6I, PW, Putter

I only need one wedge for the short distances, I can spread that out enough to get me by. For me it is not about minimizing gaps, it is about maximizing versatility. If you take too much club you can always make adjustments to reduce distance. Short clubs would do me no good unless it is a short shot. 3W vs 3H I'd have to think about more. Would be an interesting way to play a game.

I think I'd go with 5W, 8I, AW(51°) and 60°, putter. definitely an interesting tournament. Let us know how it goes!

I think I would go with my hybrid 3, 6i, 9i, 52 degree wedge and putter. You will be suprised how creative you can get with a few choices.

My high school coach used to make us play practice rounds like this on our home course. He would tell us which clubs we would be able to use on given days. It was interesting.

I would use my 4 hybrid, 6 iron, 9 iron, SW, Putter. I could use my hybrid to tee off and get near 200 off the tee than that is enough for me to plot my way around the course.

obviously the course layout and length make a big difference but for me 5w, 6 iron, PW, SW, putter

I play this way all time time (5-7) clubs. At my normal 6500yard course, it would be Dr, 6i, 8i, PW, Putter. Off the tee, I'm usually inside 140 except for the par-5s and two long par-4s where I would just play position to a wedge shot. I can chip and short pitch with my PW about as well as any other wedge in my bag and I'd only be screwed from green side bunkers but I can normally avoid those, especially if I have to.

I would go:
Driver
3 Hybrid
and putt with the Hybrid

At my course I would go:

17* FW
6i
8i
putter

But then my game is so atrocious that I probably would not enter a tournament like this yet.

This is tough for clam. I can't even narrow it down to 14 clubs. I would want a hybrid , 7i, pw, 60*, and my ghost.

I may play in a similar event next week, effectively, if the group I am playing with decides on walking (I won't carry 14 on my back!). In that case I was going to bring 6 clubs: 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, 53*, putter. For 5 clubs, I might go with 3i, 6i, 8i, 53*, putter.

This is interesting. I think I would go 3 hybrid, 6 iron, PW, 60*, Putter.

4w,5I,7I,PW,putter

3W, 5I, 8I, 54*, Putter

2 hybrid, 7 I, AW, 56 niblick and putter

Back