5 Iron Alternative?

FrancisD

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently game a Ping G410 5I 23.5 loft and am having so much trouble with it off the tee on a par 3 at my home course. My buddy has a specific 3W(RBZ2) he plays off our 18th tee because he draws it really well; I was thinking maybe I need a specific club for our 8th hole which is a par 3 with a water carry, water down the right side, trees left with a hump next to the green if pitching over from that side and a bunker short right. It also slopes back to front, basically 2 tiered. If the pin is middle to back I need to be hitting my 5I to have a chance for at least a 2 putt. I have taken so many 5s and 6s on this hole this year and "donated" too many balls to the water gods. I've tried smashing a 6I or laying back on my 4H and both options don't seem to work for me.

Is a 5 hybrid equivalent to a 5 iron?

Is there a wood or crossover type club with 5 iron distance?

I had same issues with 5i. Also with G410.
I bought a gapr mid in 24* and I am having good results with it. Tried few 5 hybrid but they were difficult to control the trajectory. I haven’t tried other cross over so not sure. Gapr feels pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 5h can be the equivalent to a 5i, but it kind of depends on your irons and finding a hybrid that hits the same number. I switched from Apex 5i to Apex 5h and it was pretty seamless.

Base it more on replacing the loft than the name. So I have a 4 hybrid that’s loft is 22.5, so it plays as a 5 iron. And interestingly enough I’m going to be taking it out of my bag soon.

I have been using an Adams A12OS 5i for several years now. Absolutely love it. I have to work very hard to mis-hit it.

Base it more on replacing the loft than the name. So I have a 4 hybrid that’s loft is 22.5, so it plays as a 5 iron. And interestingly enough I’m going to be taking it out of my bag soon.

Thats what I was thinking also but looking at the Ping website they say the 410 5H 26 degree is equivalent to a 5I, which kind of makes sense because I do have the G400 4H and it gapped well with my 5I.

Just this freaking hole is driving me nuts. It has to be mental at this point.

9w? Maybe lofted down a degree if adjustable.

Just spitballing here as you seem have the consensus being a hybrid in the 25* range.

I think a heavenwood would be too much.

Try an iron hybrid like a Cleveland launcher Or Cobra T rail. Great alternative.

Ping G410 5 Hybrid....Stock shaft is awesome, forgiving & EASY to hit.

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 26° would be a 5 hybrid

I currently game a Ping G410 5I 23.5 loft and am having so much trouble with it off the tee on a par 3 at my home course. My buddy has a specific 3W(RBZ2) he plays off our 18th tee because he draws it really well; I was thinking maybe I need a specific club for our 8th hole which is a par 3 with a water carry, water down the right side, trees left with a hump next to the green if pitching over from that side and a bunker short right. It also slopes back to front, basically 2 tiered. If the pin is middle to back I need to be hitting my 5I to have a chance for at least a 2 putt. I have taken so many 5s and 6s on this hole this year and "donated" too many balls to the water gods. I've tried smashing a 6I or laying back on my 4H and both options don't seem to work for me.

Is a 5 hybrid equivalent to a 5 iron?

Is there a wood or crossover type club with 5 iron distance?
What's the distance and what are your current club gaps?

Have you considered trying the G410 crossover in a 5?

6I 160-165
5I 170-175
4H 180ish
What's the front, middle and, back of the par 3? Maybe need your 5 reshafted with a higher launch shaft, something along the lines of a Elevate? Just throwing ideas out. 😎

Given how close your distances are, choke down on the 4h?

Ive tried and pull it like crazy, I think its mental. Hoping throwing a new club at it solves it...

I currently am playing MIzuno MP20 MMCs. I stop at 6 iron, which is 28 degrees. I then go to a Cobra King Utility. The beauty is that it is adjustable. It is working quite well for me.

Ive tried and pull it like crazy, I think its mental. Hoping throwing a new club at it solves it...

I think looking at the 5h would be a good choice then - you might get a bit more distance/launch than you get with the 5i - and potentially more consistency. I get a few more yards - at least carry-wise out of the Apex 4h than I do my Apex 4i.

Yes but I looked and I think it only comes in a 4.

I have one in a 5. Im not sure if the G410 crossover is made in a five but I know the models before it are. The one I have is a Ping G 5 crossover. The 7&9 wood advice is also solid if you hit woods well. A good 7w can be deadly. My wife has a G410 9w in her bag and Ive hit it a few times but I hit it further than I can a 6i. A 7w for me is about the same distance that I hit a 5i.

Back