5-Wood vs 3-Hy - Which and Why?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
On Tour it’s almost always a 5-wood, but for amateurs around here (myself included) it almost always seems to be a 18-19 degree 3-Hy in that spot.

Where do you fall, and why?

I love my current 19 hybrid, but I’m wondering if I’m missing something not playing. 5-wood again.

Heavenwood. I'm 43 and need help getting it up with elevation

This is a hole in my bag I'm looking to fill, so cant wait to hear these responses.

19° hybrid because I can hit it well. I had a 5 wood that I could also hit well and was longer than the hybrid, but I chose the hybrid.

I took a 5 wood out of my bag for a 19 degree hybrid mainly for control. I get 230 to 240 carry out of it which is pretty much the distance I need for that club

I tested 5w’s this winter. I was smitten. Distance, flight were right what I wanted. I ended up replacing my old g10 3hy with a g410 3hy. I’m still not sure why I didn’t get a 5w. I still might.

• Staff
I play a 4 wood and just recently put a 19* Srixon hybrid in my bag to replace a driving iron. The 4 wood has a longer shaft and 2 degrees less loft than the hybrid so it goes about 15 yards farther. My normal yardage with the 4 wood from the fairway is about 235 yards and the 19* is more like 215-220.

5 wood is my go to club. When I'm struggling off the tee, I can always count on my 5w. It's also the oldest club in my bag besides my putter, and will probably remain in my bag for quite some time.

Heavenwood. I'm 43 and need help getting it up with elevation
The heavenwood is the best invention ever (I didn’t think the V series could be beaten, but the epic flash is just On a whole another level)It honestly staggers me how other manufacturers haven’t jumped in.

I never had much success with hybrids. I have a tendency to hook them, and they don't go very high either. I have three fairway woods: 17º, 21º, and 25º. I hit them higher and farther than the commensurate hybrid.

7w with a 3w shaft ftw!
What's funny is I think I've been hitting an old hybrid better recently, but haven't been able to see the ball flight to confirm. Your threads today have been all about things on my mind.

👏👏👏

Going to be following along. Those spots between driver and iron have my full attention now.

I would guess consistency with the shorter shafted 3h would be better for amateurs who can't practice as much as pros. At least that was my thought why I just replaced a 4w with a 3h.

I would guess consistency with the shorter shafted 3h would be better for amateurs who can't practice as much as pros. At least that was my thought why I just replaced a 4w with a 3h.
But at the same time, the design on the 5w will make it easier to launch and hit further for most amateurs.

It’s a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

I’m all in on the three hybrid because I like the versatility to keep it low and around the greens. I can’t do these things with the five wood

3 Hybrid

Why? It's repeatable and consistent for me. I may be missing out on 10 yards on my max distance, but the dispersion from my 3 hybrid is minimal and because it's an inch or 2 shorter the consistency of impact is much improved. As a 14 handicap consistency is more important than maximizing my very best shots.

5W. I just have more success with FWs over hybrids.

I have both in one club :) 5w head in a shorter shaft. Plays like hybrid but forgives like FW. So added forgiveness of the larger head and easier to hit because of shorter shaft.

I have a 13 degree 3W and a 17 degree TM 3 Hi that I use like a 5W. I can go off the deck all day with it and it's long....for me.

When I took up golf, hybrids were still in the future for the most part. I learned to hit my 5W, since that was what I had. It's what came with my first set of clubs.

Later on I did buy a set of hybrid irons, which played as well as my metal woods. Maybe not as long.

Still, I missed using my 5W, and eventually added a 7W. The matching hybrid irons were demoted to less use.

Idk, call it old school, or just plain stubbornness, I just continued on with my metal woods, as my main gamers.

I still have the hybrid irons, and still use them from time to time. They are fun, and easy to hit. Just not my style of club.

Also, at this point, my 5W is the least used club in my bag. At 170 yards (ave) off the turf, that's just not a yardage I see very much of when playing.

I carry 3,5, and 7 woods. I dropped the hybrids a while back and bagged the 5 & 7 woods. I hit them both more consistently and it seems I have a better chance to shape the shot. We have a dogleg left par 4 that I can generally hit in 2 when I can draw a 5 wood around the corner I can reach the green with the 7 wood.
A couple of the guys I play SR league with regularly call it my “Annika” hole because of the 7 wood.

I've seem to gravitate towards 5 woods. I can shape them and they are great into par 5s and still an option for off the tee.

Last year I played a F9 tour but cut it down to about 41". So it kinda blends into hybrid length.

I'm going to try a hybrid at some point this year, but this portion of the bag is really hard to figure out. I can shape a 5 wood and it is easy to hit a must stop on the green shot with it. Utility/Driving irons to me are little less versatile but have other advantages. I normally bounce between those two. Hybrids try to combine everything together, but I feel like they dont do either quite as well. I'll see if either of these hybrids can get a spot in the bag

3 hybrid for me. Although in my case it's more if a 5w vs 2H battle and I've never been able to settle on something.

You know what, this is a damn good question and I’m going to find out, I hardly ever use my 3 hybrid and if I had a 5 wood I think I would use that instead.
In fact I may yank my 3 wood & 3 hybrid out of my bag, add a 5 wood and another wedge.
It’s now on my to do list.

But at the same time, the design on the 5w will make it easier to launch and hit further for most amateurs.

It’s a riddle wrapped in an enigma.
Well that's the other side. Though it's easier than a 3i, you still need the swing speed to take advantage. I do think, just by the fact we are all on a golf message board, we self select for being better golfers with higher swing speed than Joe schmoe on the course.

Back