5-Wood vs 3-Hy - Which and Why?

After making a change in my bag, I now carry a G410 5W (set at 16.5*), and a Launcher Halo 3h (19*). The hybrid has always had a spot in my bag, but I swapped out a 3W for the 5W.

Heavenwood. I'm 43 and need help getting it up with elevation
Uh-oh, I'm 41...couple of years left before that is an issue in that case!

I've got a 5 wood that I can elevate pretty well. Never had much joy with the lower lofted hybrids, which is odd because I love the higher ones.

I use the 3H and it took out a 5W. For my game and swing, I can hit the hybrid like an iron and punch it out of trees with some good distance on it. I use it more like a rescue iron. For some reason, I have problems hitting both off a good fairway lie. Plus, I don't feel as bad marking up a hybrid like I would a wood.

I mean technically, what is the difference? Head shape and Length of shaft? I figure the loft/lie are what they are, does it really just come down to a preference or confidence in a shape?

I luv a 5 wood at 42 inches. Have one, but out of thicker rough, it stays in the bag for a 22 Hy, which performed well from that lie. So I will have a 19 Hy at 40 in and see what it does from fairway and rough and see how it compares with the 5 wd.

I play a 4 hybrid. Really it’s because I’ve never tried a 5 wood. If I’m better with it I’d put it in the bag. I’m still so new to the game I wouldn’t doubt my bag changes a few more times.

Well that's the other side. Though it's easier than a 3i, you still need the swing speed to take advantage. I do think, just by the fact we are all on a golf message board, we self select for being better golfers with higher swing speed than Joe schmoe on the course.
Not arguing that. But, a 5w is going to be easier to hit at lower swing speeds for the vast majority of amateurs.

I play a 2 and 3 hybrid as of now and carry no woods.

my 3h is my almost fail-safe, go-to (for just about everything) but I have a 5w...which I haven't given a fair shot so I may try and break it out during my next round.

It’s the revolving door position of my bag. I will swap between my 5W and 3H based on course being played. The 5W is easier to elevate, but not as accurate as the 3H. If a course has a par 3 that will put this yardage slot in range, I’ll normally throw the 5W in as it’ll land softer. The 3H is great for tight fairways. Have been toying with the idea to re-spacing my wedges to open slot to carry both clubs as I enjoy playing them for different reasons/situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HYBRID for with the thinking of rescue from trees and rough but also from tee box and Fairways...covers me as a utility club it was designed to be

On Tour it’s almost always a 5-wood, but for amateurs around here (myself included) it almost always seems to be a 18-19 degree 3-Hy in that spot.

Where do you fall, and why?

I love my current 19 hybrid, but I’m wondering if I’m missing something not playing. 5-wood again.

I am playing a 5wd again and for the first time in a long time, I have one I can trust... a TM M4. I used to fight the 5wd ballooning and I've really taken to the HZRDUS Black 75g, 6.0 that I have in it. The only issue is it's fairly light. So.... I picked up an 85g, 6.5 that I'm gonna put in it soon. I think it'll be a heck of a combo.

5W, longer shaft, deeper CG helps me get the distance I need out of that spot in the bag.

Could it be because pro golfers, like the golf world in general, don’t tend to care for change either? They most likely grew up hitting 5 woods and don’t want to switch. I also think it’s a distance thing more so for them. Rory for instance has always used a 5w and quite well, but actually went to a hybrid this year because he got the distance he needed out of it. That and courses on tour keep getting longer and are making that 250y spot in the bag more important?

me personally I switch back and forth. But just went back to hybrid in that spot.

In my older bag I didn't have a hybrid as they were so hook prevelant for me. The 5 wood in that spot was won here on THP, Ping G410 SFT and is an amazing club.

Now, with Morgan Cup bag, I was fit to the 3 and 4 hybrids and I am hitting those very well. Those rails really do work. (y)

Definitely 5 wood for me. It's just straighter and fits the gap that I want. For some reason fairway woods suit my eye better than hybrids. I feel like it's easier to launch and just overall better. I don't know if I've ever picked up a 5 wood that I wasn't excited to hit.

This is the part of the bag where I am going to experiment. Currently have 3, 5, 7 fwy and 4h and 5h hybrids. Don't need all of them. Figuring out what gets dropped.

On Tour it’s almost always a 5-wood, but for amateurs around here (myself included) it almost always seems to be a 18-19 degree 3-Hy in that spot.

Where do you fall, and why?

I love my current 19 hybrid, but I’m wondering if I’m missing something not playing. 5-wood again.
I had never played a 5-wood before getting this one for the MC. I am getting pretty similar distance between this and the Ping G410 3-hybrid, but I am getting more consistency from the 3 hybrid. For me, I am able to keep the hybrid down and not balloon the ball. I am hitting some high bombs with the 5, but there is a major left hook lurking in that club that I don't have in the hybrid. I think a shaft change in the 5-wood could give that one the edge as a high shot has so much utility with all the trees and corners I face on the local courses. Fun to have both.

I have both. I hit the 5w further than I do the hybrid. I honestly don't hit them very often except for when trying to reach a par 5 in two. The hybrid is probably a little more consistent for a straight shot or draw but the 5w is better for a fade or cut and doesn't lose the distance that the hybrid does for me on that shot. When I miss with the 5w though it can be pretty bad.

Hybrid. Shorter shaft, shallower head. No brainer for me.

I switched from a 3H to a 5w last year and won't go back. The 5w is more consistent and quickly became one of my favorite clubs.

It depends for me. I play a 3-wood and 7 wood and I either play a 5 wood or a driving iron in that spot depending on the course. In my backup bag I go from a 5 wood to a 2 hybrid which has a very small profile. For me, I'm better off both the tee and the fairway with a fairway wood so often it gets the nod. My miss is a big hook and a lot of hybrids seem to go way left for me. The 2 hybrid I have is one that is more fade biased and plays well for me.

I absolutely loved my Flash 5 wood last year and it was easily one of my favorite clubs I've ever hit but I just couldn't get the yardage gap where I needed it. I really wish I could hand because I was so good with it but I couldn't cut yardage off when needed. I'm back to my OG Apex hybrid.

Back