5-Wood vs 3-Hy - Which and Why?

3h for me. The 5Ws I’ve tried have looked so lofted at addres that they throw me. But more than that the longer shafts make the 5w harder for me to hit.

5W all day for me. Love fairway woods/metals, plenty easy to hit and the ball flight is fine. Can hold a green depending on the firmness of it.

It used to be 5w for me. Now it's 3h. I think it's ever so slightly easier to hit out of rough, though I do miss the more piercing ball flight of the 5w

I am really pondering adding a hybrid/7wood in the 5 iron spot, and then replacing my ping g410 20 for a 5 wood as well.......

I always had a 5W until I got my current set of Adams A7 Idea irons with 3h and 4h. No reason for the change, it’s just what came with the set. I don’t have any issues getting the 3h out of the rough versus my past 5W experience, so I’ll probably test them head to head when I build my next set.

I have both, but not in the bag right now. I use the 5 wood simply because right now it is performing better than the 3 hybrid.

I find it relatively easy to play a hybrid from the rough or a fairway bunker; I can't say the same about a 5-wood.

I currently have a 4w and a 3h in the bag, but those spots rotate quite a bit. I have been swapping out the 3h with a 7w and even a 2 ironwood, depending on how I am playing. Right now the hybrid is working for me.

I play 2 and 4 hybrids instead of 3 and 5 wood.

I made the switch last summer and couldn't be happier. I lose about 10 yards off the tee with the 2 hybrids, but I am far more consistent with it and can hit it out of fairway bunkers if need be.

This area is the next focus of my bag. Currently jump from 15 deg 3 wood to 19 deg 3 hybrid. The hybrid has not been as comfortable for me lately and 5 wood is strong ponder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhhh.....both? I am using a 5w as a 4-wood and my 3H as the step between that and my 4i.

Heavenwood. I'm 43 and need help getting it up with elevation
Love my Heavenwood. One of the few clubs I am confident that I just know where I will end up.

5W for me. I much prefer the shot shape and ball flight...

Long time 5W ho here. I've been playing a 3H in that spot for the last year or so and haven't looked back. Actually looking to replace my 3W if the super hybrid works out.

For me it came down to consistency off the deck. Off the tee, it's a wash as I can stretch either out to about the same distances with a similar dispersion. But off the deck though, I've found that the 3H is more consistent for me from a distance perspective, giving me a chance to extend my go range a bit on open par 5s and be reasonably confident that I won't crush one and fly the green. It also gives me a longer option on some recovery shots out of the rough as I find the 3H easier to play from most rough lies than a FW. Doesn't mean I always pull it, but it's nice to have the option more frequently if needed.

Not saying it will stay this way forever, but currently where I'm at.

3h for me, the 5 wood just looks too big for me, always struggle for the ground with them, reminds me of trying to hit a driver off the deck and it is intimidating for me.

Given I usually shorten my hybrids 1”. 3h all day for me. 39-40” is much easier to manage than a 42.5” 5w off the deck. Especially at 5’4”

5 wood. I am more confident with a fairway wood than with a hybrid. And I absolutely love my new Speedzone 5 wood (18.5).

I got both though I'm not a long hitter and have the 5 playing more like a 4....

A 5w is only good for a handful of days for me - it flys too high and it’s often windy here.

5w for me cuz I tend to snap the heck outta hybrids

I am experimenting with the top of my bag this season. Fairway woods out and 18* utility iron and 17* Hybrid in. Hoping short shafts equal
more consistent shots.

I'm gaming the Sim Ti 5 wood and the Ping G410 19 set to 20. They are about 15 yards apart for me and has been a very solid setup for me.

I go back and forth between the two, depending on the course. My hybrid is in the bag for my home course, because there is a par 3 that can measure up to about 235 yards and the hybrid is more precise. If I don’t need the hybrid for a tee shot into a par 3, the 5 wood is much better for me as a fairway club on par 5s.

17° Super Hybrid for me...

Give me all the hybrids. Not quite the same, but I just took a 16* 3/4-fwy out in favor of a 16* 2/3-hybrid. I like the shorter shaft better, so far. Much better contact and ball flight, in limited swings.

Back