5-Wood vs 3-Hy - Which and Why?

3 wood and 4 hybrid. Choke down on the 3 if the distance is in between.

I attempted to play a 3hy for a few years and could never get the consistency from it like I do a 4hy. A year ago I threw in a 5 wood as a experiment and it has remained in the bag because of my consistency. Honestly I don't know why I switched in the first place but I'm back on the 5 wood train now.

I go 5w partly because Im not very good with hybrids and partly because I just think that a fairway wood is better than a hybrid.
Before anyone gets all bent out of shape over that bombshell, hear me out: a fairway wood head is more forgiving and helps you launch the ball higher, which are 2 things that help me. Also, a fairway wood has a longer shaft, so it helps you hit the ball farther; also a good thing.
Also, I prefer to sweep the ball off the turf, so a FW just works better for me.
Ive tried various hybrids over the years and never really found one that I got on with. Even though I know your supposed to hit it like a mid-iron, I always wanted to sweep it with a hybrid, which often leads to thin shots. I also struggled with ball position in that I felt like there was a very find line between a ball position that causes me to block it to the right and one that causes me to hit thin hooks.
I really wanted to like hybrids but they were just a no-go for me.
I carry a 5-wood and a 7-wood and theyre just so easy to hit. I just make a nice, easy swing and the ball goes high and far.

Tried the CBX119 19* hybrid on the range today.... Again it seems like a compromise between a 5 wood and long iron. Maybe with a shaft change I can get a better feel, but at this point I think either a lofted wood or swapping to a long iron makes more sense for me.

I've gone back and forth but I've settled for now on the 5W instead. I feel I just hit it better than any hybrid below 20*.

Not arguing that. But, a 5w is going to be easier to hit at lower swing speeds for the vast majority of amateurs.

Even being 2-3” longer?

Even being 2-3” longer?

From a head design, a 5 wood is going to get the ball in the air easier and the longer shaft will help with club head speed. Though, I can see your point with the possibility of inconsistent strike.

Just got rid of my 5w which I felt had been the most consistent club in the bag since I bought it like 8 years ago. I'm now using a 3h as my longest club.

The reason was that I just wanted a change.

So far, the change has been slightly better as far as dispersion. Both clubs get about the same yardage typically, but the 5w probably had the potential for a bit more distance.

In my experience I tend to hit the 5 wood as a pop up fly ball and very hard for me to hit a medium trajectory. With my hybrid low/medium and high and easy to hit

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I use both a 5 wood and a 3 hybrid. My 3 hybrid generally goes 15 yards shorter than the 5 wood. My 5 wood goes nearly as far as a 3 wood for me.

something between 17-18 degrees in either a utility iron or a hybrid.

Absolutely no question it's a great setup for me, and I wouldn't even consider playing a 5w in the spot. No way, no how.

Hmmm... I have a 21 Hybrid. I tried a 5W. I hit the 21 hybrid 205 carry. I hit the 5W 205 carry. I can hit a high fade with the 21 hybrid, so I don't carry a 5W. My 3W carry is 215.

I find a 5W easier to hit. I can barely hit my 4H, so I have no business attempting to hit a 3H.

Now mind you, my 5W play isn't stellar either, but it's easier IMO to hit off the tee than a 3H.

I’ve hit hybrids before but I’ve never had one in the bag. So by default it’s 5w, but it’s one of my favorite clubs. I don’t feel like I’m hurting myself not having one but would never rule one out if I found one that worked for me

Typically I play 4W and then 3UT. I do have an Apex 3h that I like and sometimes put in the bag.

I can’t say I’ve considered a 5 wood since the 1990s

Love my Mav 5W. I carried a 3H in my last set (Ping K15), but it was a giant hook monster for me most of the time. I just added a Super Hybrid to my bag, need to play it for a few rounds and see where it slots in, but the hybrid is useful out of the rough and I'm more confident with it in fairway bunkers also.

Absolutely right about the tour--that is the PGA Tour. The LPGA Tour is the opposite. Lots of hybrids on that tour. I prefer the hybrid and like most of us my game is a lot more like those on the LPGA Tour. I find the hybrid much more versatile. It's much easier to hit out of the rough. Now if I had the physical attributes of a PGA Tour player...

5-wood for me.

I don't think I've ever stuck with hybrids long enough to develop a "hybrid swing". If I set up and swing a 3h like a fairway wood, I can't get any elevation or distance. If I set up and swing it like a long iron, I get quick and OTT because it's so light and long.

I only carry one club between my longest iron and my driver, a 5-wood fills that spot great.

I replaced the 3/5w with a simpler 4w alternative 2 years ago. Then I started to notice I sometimes hit epic shots with my 4h but almost never the 4w. So I went and bought the matching 3h and pulled the 4w.

Recently I did a range session with the 3h vs the 4w hitting off turf. Here is my observation relative to my swing.

1- The 4w is both higher and longer. My 4w has 2 degrees less loft then my 3h and is roughly 2 inches longer
2- I hit some big hooks and big slices with the 4w. 3H is more steady eddy. Not as long but not going to hook me OB. At most with the 3h I might hit a week fade but generally take the right side of the course out of play.
3- I'm trying to learn to let my arms rotate the clubface through impact vs flipping my hands at impact. My take is the hybrid was more friendly to my flipping hands flaw as are my irons.

if I improve my swing, I might be able to add the 4w back to my bag but I'm not going to do it until I get it to a one way miss

3H for me. I've had the Taylormade Rescue TP 2009 with X-stiff Voodoo in the bag since it came out. I could say nothing has kicked it out of the bag, but the reality is I've not really tried to replace it. It just works. Shorter par 4's off the tee and 2nd shots on par 5's. Such a great combination of feel, forgiveness, and performance.

Im loving the 19hy in my bag, best I’ve hit of this years releases, but putting some rebar in the Mav 5w in the club room sounds fun as hell too.

I just go driver, 3w, 20-degree hybrid iron.

Im loving the 19hy in my bag, best I’ve hit of this years releases, but putting some rebar in the Mav 5w in the club room sounds fun as hell too.

Right there with you. Love the 3H. The 780 Recoil ES is a really good fit but still going to try the Proto Utility shaft I have here in it to see how it goes. THen I just need to get a new shaft for the 5w and I'll be all set. The Atmos 7x Tour Spec in the 5W is a little to light for me ( lighter than my LINQ in my driver ) and although swing speed is nice, a little to draw bias for my liking.

3 hybrid. It allows me to hit down on the ball like an iron but get the distance of a wood. Plus I like it better at address. I’ve had a Cleveland HB Launcher as of late, but recently slipped the ol’ reliable Titleist 909H back into the bag. Still to this day the best hybrid I’ve ever had.

Back