$500 Which Driver

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So you were just gifted $500.00, what driver are you going with?

I gamed the heck out of the F9 and the Epic Flash Sub Zero last year. That the custom Sub Zero made it a bit longer into the season makes me lean that way, but I'm going neither for the intent of this thread.

I'm picking up the head I never spent enough time with, the M5 Tour from TaylorMade - And giving it a full run.

Since I just got a new one I'm buying some balls that might be coming out soon. :cool:

Do I get to keep the change? Haha. Regardless, I am going with my Hogan GS53. Will try it in 9 degrees since I already have the 10.5.

Epic Flash SZ would be my go to but new drivers dropping shortly.

That new Tour Edge EXS 220 is looking pretty good!

I gamed the heck out of the F9 and the Epic Flash Sub Zero last year. That the custom Sub Zero made it a bit longer into the season makes me lean that way, but I'm going neither for the intent of this thread.

I'm picking up the head I never spent enough time with, the M5 Tour from TaylorMade - And giving it a full run.
I

I am the opposite have the M6 & love it. However have never owned a Callaway driver and would go with the Epic a Flash.

I wish new drivers were under $500
Would be nice right. We all would like new, but if having to work with a budget, some good drivers out there.

I would look at the New Cobra and Pings.

SpeedZone for me please. I had a good time with the F9 last year and although it was narrowly eclipsed by the Srixon Z585, I would gladly give Cobra another go.

Titleist TS series is another sleeper for me... traditionally I've not been a Titleist guy but those make me want to be. I tried them last week and final answer I'm holding out for SpeedZone.

I’d bank it as I just bought a new driver. Then wait till what I am interested in was on sale or on CPO.

Wait a week and have a bash session between the F9 and Mavrik... let the best man win.

I’ve never hit either, but it’s between the SpeedZone and SIM for me. I’m leaning towards the SIM, to be honest. Just the head though, please. I’ll use my :projectx: shaft.

I would love to give the TaylorMade SIM Max a run.

Come on, it'd have to be one of the new Mavriks!

I have an M5 I like, and the wife recently got me a flash SZ. I see minimal gains with it over my original Epic SZ though, and I like that the Mavrik ditched the sliding weight and appears more like a Rogue/Epic SZ.

I'd order up a 17* Super Hybrid instead. Booooombs away!

I am the opposite have the M6 & love it. However have never owned a Callaway driver and would go with the Epic a Flash.
It is really good, man. Gave mine to my Dad so I don't have a drive rright now haha

So far it looks like I’d lean toward the SIM Max at that price. Though I think I’d prefer to spend another $50 and go with the standard SIM.

The Callaway Mavrik is $499 and the Cobra Speedzone is $450. I hit them both today on the GC2 quad.

I hit both the Mavrik Sz vs the Epic sz. I liked the head shape near the hosel better with the Mavrik. Numbers were the same for both drivers. Mavrik sounded better, the epic always had a hollow sound that I hated. The Mavrik is more muted. Epic is still up over 5 bills too. Nod to the Mavrik.

I also hit both the Cobra Speedzone vs the F9. In this case I’d go with the F9. Numbers were dead even, spin a bit lower with the Speedzone but it was less forgiving than the F9. Looking at them, the face piece where it meets the crown looks a bit weird but after a while you don’t notice it. The F9 was downto $349 new and they had demos for $249.... one of my friends is going to pick up a demo.

Oh and FWIW, I grabbed a Ping G400max off the shelf with the G410 Alta stock shaft and hit it consistently past all 4 of the other drivers.

Back