50degrees and colder is too cold for golf...

High of 51 tomorrow. If work is slow enough, I'll try and sneak out for a lunch 9. Idk how many of these days we have left so gotta take advantage of them

It was mid 40's at the start today, and I ran back to grab a hand warmer. There was a guy in short sleeves and I told him it was cooler than it seemed in the parking lot. He said he was a polar bear and zoomed away to get after it.

Conclusion:

I'm soft.

But @chile is softer :LOL:

played yesterday. start was 37 and wet. great day but never played a longer course. ball backed up on drives. took a long time to adapt to the short carry and even less roll. other then that all was fun

It depends on a lot more than just the temperature. A dry 50 degrees is okay, a wet 50 degrees is a bit miserable. Just like a hair dryer like heat is hot, but a 105 degree sauna means in fifteen minutes, you want to die a bit

It was mid 40's at the start today, and I ran back to grab a hand warmer. There was a guy in short sleeves and I told him it was cooler than it seemed in the parking lot. He said he was a polar bear and zoomed away to get after it.

Conclusion:

I'm soft.

my only retort is this

Conclusion:

I'm soft.

We have the snowbirds here from the northern states and Canada for the winter, and they're easy to spot. They're the ones wearing shorts when it's 42 degrees. :ROFLMAO:

We were in long pants, layers on top and blowing into our hands to keep them warm this morning, and here's these 70+ year olds walking around in shorts and a polo with a vest or light jacket like it ain't no thang.

Totally depending on the wind. I can play in temps as low as the low 40's if there is just a breath of wind (nothing lower than 40 anymore and I prefer 45 and up), but if the wind is up it has to be at least 50.
I need to amend my post. We teed off this morning and it was 36, but not much wind so it was actually pretty comfortable. With the wind being down and the humidity being low it made for a pleasurable round.

It was 42° when we teed off this morning. We rescheduled our tee times an hour later for the rest of the week. It's not as much fun when you can't feel your hands. :LOL:

It was 33 but sunny and no wind when I teed off this past Sunday. Winter gloves make a big difference.

I love the cold weather...makes for fast round because there just are not many of us out on the course. I took my time, had to look for balls that plugged multiple times a round and was back home in 3 hours back to back days. More 40 degree rounds please...

@ddec and I implemented a 35° rule a few years ago. If the sun is out, it’s totally playable at that temp.
If the sun is out and it's not windy, I could do that easily & enjoy it. 50* is downright balmy. Plus I tend to do better playing when other people are complaining about the weather lol!

My little 9 hole course stays open year round. Only rule is has to be 40° or more and no snow on the ground.
That seems reasonable. I'm hoping to get out a bit this winter under similar conditions

I love the cold weather...makes for fast round because there just are not many of us out on the course. I took my time, had to look for balls that plugged multiple times a round and was back home in 3 hours back to back days. More 40 degree rounds please...
PLUS - it makes walking much more sensible! Keeps me warmer & I can get around pretty quick when no one else is out there!

I play golf down to the low 40s assuming it’s not too windy.

The OP’s opinion? I mean, if I lived somewhere warm like San Diego or South Florida where it’s above 50 degrees 350 days out of the year, then I wouldn’t play when it’s colder out either — who would?

It’s all relative.

This rain in Ohio needs to end otherwise I'd be oit mid 40s is perfect

I played with my daughter at the Savanah golf course in Merritt Island FL on 12/23/21 and the temperature was 75 degrees, sunny and no wind. Played with her again on Friday 12/24/21 @9am and the weather was again 75 degrees and sunny. It was so beautiful that we saw quite a few alligators hang out on the golf course.

Now I am back in Virginia for a couple days and it is 45 degrees outside with cloudy sky, really depressing :(

Back