50degrees and colder is too cold for golf...

AAD3DC85-C9A7-43BD-B174-6330181CD443.png

Course bound.;)

Down to the low 40s is definitely doable, particularly if its sunny and not too much wind.

Where I draw the line is when the ground is frozen such that you can't get a stick a tee into it and the water hazards are iced over. Years ago a bunch of us from work played at a local 9-holer in the low 30s under these conditions and, temperature aside, it wasn't fun because the ball just bounced and skidded all over the place.

50 is still VERY nice IMO but perception is funny. First time it dips to 50 early in the fall half the golfers stay home and b*tch about how cold it is. Get a 50 degree day in Jan or Feb and the courses will be packed. I hate putting on pants to golf so I'll be out there in shorts well below 50. I still have a lot of 'yooper' in me though.

i figured 50, cloudy and some mist in the air would keep people away around here. nope. i'll have to make a recommendation about more CPO days :ROFLMAO:

You're one of "them"! :LOL:

We get a lot of snowbirds from Canada and the northern states up your way - we always comment on how it's in the 40s here in the mornings during the winter months (both of them!) and we're shivering in long pants and jackets with wool caps and gloves, and they're out there in shorts and polos like "Oh ya, it's a beautiful mornin' you betcha!" :ROFLMAO:

It's 55° here right now (6:35 am) and we tee off a little over an hour from now. I'll be in shorts, but will have a light jacket on for at least a few holes until the sun warms things up a bit. Supposed to be a high of 77° today.
I claim them, those are my people. I even read your quote from them in the stereotypical Minnesota / Canadian accent.

Strongly Disagree. So long as the sun is out and wind is down, 40s are playable.

Definitely in the disagree camp here. Played a couple years ago in moderate (15-20 mph) winds with air temps in the upper 30s/low 40s and that's about where the threshold is for me.

I'm sure you're a fine gentleman, @chile....but based on this thread you're also a wuss! :ROFLMAO::eek:

In all seriousness, to each his own of course, but for me, the 40's are still supremely comfortable for golf if the sun is out and I have a light base layer on. Played yesterday in a high of about 47 and it was great. The 30's is a little more touch and go and you really need to have warm gloves and the right baselayers, and walking helps a lot too, but still very doable.

Here we almost never get sunny and cold days. If the sun is out, it's going to be upper 60, low 70's minimum. Cold here is usually accompanied by rain.

This is my first time playing in cold weather and I don't enjoy it. I can't see myself venturing out when it gets colder.

Toughen up buttercup !
50 degrees is a heat wave this time of year and we are still playing golf in the PNW !

I agree, and yeah it's more about the sun and wind than the median temp, a sunny 50 can be quite nice.

But generally for me the season is over once the high goes below 55, that means just an average wind chill is under 50.

Temperature rarely is a factor, wind is the enemy. If course is open and the choice is golf or yard work, it’s a no brainer. Luckily my home course front 9 is in a valley so very protected from the wind. The back 9 is more wide open but by that time allwarmed up and usually the temperature has risen since teeing off.

Nah, 40 is where i draw the line although I've played in 30s many times

I go to the range around 20*, I could surely play any temperature above freezing with little to no wind and some sunshine.

yeah, i said it.

Second. Motion carries.

For the right reason I’ll play in colder.
Like setting an at the time personal best score. Including a great front nine 42 at Ozark National with great friends.

Same here (Oklahoma). Often fooled by the wind/no-wind, my house is lower than the course so when it looks like "well, it's not windy, let's go" and I get to the course and it's blowing 20 mph ????.

yeah, i said it.

I’d agree, but then I’d be a hypocrite. I’ll play when the weather is forecasted to be decent. It’s not always the case. 39 and windy is a miserable time, though. If it starts snowing, I question my sanity.

39 and windy does suck. The key to cold weather golf is no wind or precipitation and hopefully some sun.

yeah, i said it.

If that were the case, golf would have never been invented because its often colder than 50 degrees in Scotland

@ddec and I implemented a 35° rule a few years ago. If the sun is out, it’s totally playable at that temp.

We've been known to tee off while it's snowing.

It depends where the 50 degrees is. If it’s up north? That’s shorts weather almost. Your air is dry and kind of b*tch like. It’s tolerable and not that bad. Now give yourself a thick, damp cold? 50 degrees is awful and you feel you can’t bundle up enough.

Back