6 things DIY clubmakers do

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
What do you think? Accurate or far fetched?

I think some is accurate, but I find it hard to believe that they're serious about some of that... or that they even know what they're talking about at some points.

I'm getting closer and closer to jumping into the DIY club building. I'd done grips before, but kinda want to play with iron shafts too :cool:

It's definitely worth it. I hesitate to say you'll save money. It basically opens up a can of worms that ends in you spending more, but you'll appreciate all the options, the independence, and your wallet will be lighter so you might be able to get better hip turn in the downswing.

hahahaha awesome!

Where do you guys buy blank shafts? Never seen them on sale

All the points seems pretty valid to me.

I think some is accurate, but I find it hard to believe that they're serious about some of that... or that they even know what they're talking about at some points.

I agree that the turning of ferrules is probably one of the more difficult things to do well. I agree that adding lead tape can change things but I haven't heard of anyone putting lead tape under the hands unless they were trying to backweight a club which brings a whole bunch of other complications.

The ferrule thing is so true. I hate turning ferrules because one little mistake is so obvious and the only right way to fix is pull the shaft and redo.

hahahaha awesome!

Where do you guys buy blank shafts? Never seen them on sale

hirekogolf.com
golfworks.com
grips4less.com

All those, among others sell the things you need to build.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by blank shafts but Golfworks has a good variety of stuff.

Uncut shafts is what I'm assuming. He just wants to start tinkering and learn the process.

You can definitely get shafts at Golfworks, Golfsmith and on eBay at a minimum.

Golfsmith? I thought they went out of business. I have gotten shaft off eBay, but buyer beware, counterfeits are out there. I am not saying they're all counterfeit, but I have my doubts on one purchase I made. Just not sure how to confirm one way or another.

Golfsmith? I thought they went out of business. I have gotten shaft off eBay, but buyer beware, counterfeits are out there. I am not saying they're all counterfeit, but I have my doubts on one purchase I made. Just not sure how to confirm one way or another.

I am pretty careful on eBay and generally am very careful buying expensive things on eBay. You are right on Golfsmith it is part of Golf Galaxy now. Not sure what they have for components.

Some of that article was okay, but really ......... "I'm going to regrip my clubs, want to build them up a bit though. Hey, here's some lead tape, I bet that would work !" :banghead:

Some of that article was okay, but really ......... "I'm going to regrip my clubs, want to build them up a bit though. Hey, here's some lead tape, I bet that would work !" :banghead:

Well, I don't think the article was implying the person was using the lead tape as build up tape, but the thought that lead tape would directly affect the way the shaft plays is, I think, a little off. It will definitely affect the swingweight and that might change the way you swing which would change the way the shaft played, but I don't see the lead tape under the grip directly affecting the shaft's characteristics.

I can understand that list, and thinking back there was definitely (and still is, really) a steep learning curve when it comes to club building.

I agree with @Space Bandito. I like the acetone and rag for turning ferrules.

There is certainly a difference between a hobbyist clubmaker and one who is trained and/or certified. Turning ferrules is a snap if you have the right tool.

This picture is just bothering me. I’m sure you can figure out why.
812BEFAD-EB25-4B16-A9CB-D002BCBA1CBF.jpeg

100% agree with that article. Especially the cause and effect. Can not count how many clubs from friends I have had to fix over the years because they thought they were doing something correct (specifically the cutting shaft down shorter and wondering why the club felt different -- weight variable). I learned through trial and error with persimmons and irons from a long time ago. Was so happy when Maltby and especially Tom Wishon came along. Read everything I could about clubmaking and repair. There is a right and wrong way to approach club building imo. I do love tinkering/experimenting but I know-have learned the causes & effects. Sometimes people have good intentions but without a proper knowledge its like rolling dice.

Nothing too out of whack in the article but it could have been a little clearer in some ways.
Shaft tipping: go to manufacturer website, see what is recommended.
Why go on and on about sawing off the whole parallel section? :LOL:
The adding lead tape under the grip and then to the head end as well. Just how heavy are we going for? :eek:
They got into concepts that were beyond basic first build experiences, and mostly to make it sound "too hard."
Soft stepping for beginners is not needed.
"48 inch driver and I just wasn't aware..." :ROFLMAO:

They used to sell kits that you could build a club. Maybe it wasn't great, but it got your toes wet. Or just buy a head and shaft.

Probably a more useful list is pricing out all the stuff you need to really do it right, and it gets up there.
You'd have to build a LOT to make financial sense of it, and it takes a lot of bench time. Very time consuming.

Turning ferrules is something that most beginner to intermediate builders get a little tentative with. My biggest piece of advice is to use the right belt and things get a lot easier. More often than not, if you’re burning through ferrules it is because the belt is too aggressive OR the ferrule is cheap. Turning the ferrule with a belt becomes something that is fast and efficient, but you always finish it off with acetone and a non lint rag/paper towel.

The article is like reading a citation from "Captain Obvious"

I do somewhat agree that people get too crazy with lie adjustments, especially for taller players. I can't hit a golf ball using a Ping fitting chart where it has me 2-3 degrees upright and 1/2" over length. I can hit stock club length at 1 degree upright much more crisp. I do go back and forth between midsize and standard grips.

I still turn ferrules by hand using the boot shine method, I do it this way because I enjoy doing it, although I do have a few different felt belts for my belt sander. I blue tape the hosels for protection. And finally, I still use acetone for that nice finished glossy look regardless of using the felt belt or hand sanding.

Last edited:
Ugh, I won't use a turning belt. Too much effort, even when you get it right. Acetone and a rag looks better anyway, as it gives it a nice smooth look with ease.

that's how I do it as well, when I do it, which is not always haha

Swingweight and "feel" issues for sure, just from what I've seen people bring me. Laziness too, like not cleaning off old epoxy from a shaft tip, not having a specific collared ferrule on a club that requires it (Shaft cocked). Usually when I see it it's because Im fixing other peoples screw ups.

The funniest was getting a couple of clubs with the grips only 3" on and stuck because the guy used soap water and the tape was solvent activated (as opposed to water activated).

Back