6 things DIY clubmakers do

As someone who is trying to learn about the "mechanics" of club building and I'm still very very green with it, The picture of the Miura at the begin of the article made me even cringe.

In reading the article, I didn't find a single thing that would put me off. Not even from building a set from new components.

I'm a DIYer through and through. On everything. And as a DIYer, I'm inclined to build something, then take it out and see what happens. Bring it back, make a change and observe the result. I get much more satisfaction from that as opposed to simply buying something and living with it. Learn a thing or two about cause and effect as well. I also, in the words of Jeff Spicoli from "Fast times at Ridgemont High" have a bitchin' set of tools. My garage is a small fab shop. Lathe, mill, sheet metal tools, MIG and TIG welders, etc.

I started playing again last year after a 20 plus year lay-off. I dug my 30 year old "NoName" clubs out of the shed, put new grips on 'em and hit some with 'em. Then I installed new graphite shafts and mid sized grips on 'em. They play fine. But I'd like to experiment some more.

I though the ferule things was pretty trivial. Especially considering I made some from aluminum on my lathe for a old driver I reshafted. That particular club didn't work out to my liking. It was an old cast stainless steel "Arnold Palmer" head. I could hit it OK, but the new Cobra driver I bought goes a lot straighter and about 20 yards farther. Most likely due to the club head construction. And I doubt the ferrule had a dang thing to do with it!

I would think that if one was diligent in their research, and employs some common sense, then jump right in.

What do you think? Accurate or far fetched?

I think some is accurate, but I find it hard to believe that they're serious about some of that... or that they even know what they're talking about at some points.
One thing is for sure, far too many DIY and experienced club builders worry way too much about swingweight. SW was invented OH so long ago to try and make clubs MOI matched, but with the limited technologies using the 14" fulcrum and a balance was the best they could do. It is why some people like certain irons more than others, it's not because the SW's don't match it's because the MOI is different. Let's say someone's favorite club is their 8 iron, and it is D3 and 36.5" long with a DG S300. Many assume making a 6 iron 37.5 long with a DGS300 that is D3 will swing the same. It will measure the same on a SW scale, that's about it. A MOI scale is expensive, even today, and since SW in ingrained in people's minds as the end all be all manufacturers still use it. There are ways to MOI match and get very close without buying a MOI scale.

Total weight from a club and then MOI matching up and down from there leads to better results and more favorite clubs in the irons for pretty much every golfer I have helped or seen. Of course as the lofts go down it becomes less of a favorite, but not because it doesn't match, but just because contact is much more important.

Ferrules, I turn them down for friends that care, but I cannot remember the last time I turned one down for myself.

Not understanding cause and effect is a big one or taking manufacturers words as gospel. I have seen countless times where a Low/low marketed shaft produces high/high for a golfer and vice versa. Another one is sliding weights, sliding weights move the CoG in the clubhead easing some strikes and making them better. For instance my miss is on the toe side of center. I have either lead tape or the sliding weight of a club moved there because it can move CoG slightly, not because I have a horrible disgusting hooky swing. Does it make the face close slight more or less? Sure but adjusting the loft sleeve will move the ball more than any sliding weight and it's not even close.

Cause and effect goes into lie angle strips or lie boards. What a crock. Throw them all away, they don't work and here is cause and effect again. You are better off fitting lie angle from ball flight than a lie board, or even better with a line from a dry erase marker on a ball perpendicular to the ground. A Trackman with a qualified fitter that actually understands the numbers is the best but for DIY, get yourself a dry erase marker, draw a line on the ball, place it perpendicular to the ground and go to town.

As someone who is trying to learn about the "mechanics" of club building and I'm still very very green with it, The picture of the Miura at the begin of the article made me even cringe.
If those Muira bothered you then my wedges will drive you insane. I play my 7 iron a bit long and do 1/4 increments and my irons are MOI matched. These are previous years wedges I have had, and yes I removed weight from down in the hosel as well. Some as you can see the weight was removed with only a drill and not the drill press. Some of these were also where I was playing around with CoG locations and removed a ton of weight and had added back in other places with lead tape. Removing and then adding weight in other places is the best way to move CoG in an iron head, just adding weight ends up putting the headweight too high most of the time and not moving the CoG much.

Attachments

• File_000 (11).jpeg
    File_000 (11).jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 28
Well some folks insist on pretty clubs I reckon. For me, it's a matter of function.
If drillin' holes is what it takes to get the functionality, then the drillin' will commence! Looks be danged!

Besides, the holes can always be filled, one way or another

I think you can write an article like that about any profession. Hey guess what... amateurs are not as skilled or knowledgeable as professionals. I've hung drywall and thought I did a pretty good job - until I watched a skilled tradesman do it.

And just like any other profession there are clubmakers who take pride in what they do and those who are simply hacks. In the end, it doesn't matter for players like me. The quality of the build is not the issue. Might as well build them myself and enjoy a new hobby.

I enjoyed that article. As a fairly new DIYer in this space, I agree with what they mentioned. Amazing how a few grams here or there can impact your swing weight. I ended up buying a tip weight kit.

Also- ferrules are the bane of my DIY existence. I dispise ferrules that look poorly installed. I typically install the BB&Fs and leave them be, even if they are a smiiidge larger.

Article was ok, but if one researches about building clubs they should find most things they need to know. Some of the club builders have some great vids as well. I have built some clubs and have no issues. I do most of my own work except I don't have a way to bend clubs. If I need that I take it to someone that has a club bending machine. I would state just use solid practices and proper care when building. It really isn't complicated.

The ferrule thing is so true. I hate turning ferrules because one little mistake is so obvious and the only right way to fix is pull the shaft and redo.
Truth right here, I was thinking the same thing.

Back