My 60 is a vokey SM8 K grind and I love it. Handles the sand and rough well

My RTX3 60 was mostly idle for a period of time. But, lately I have been using it a lot more. Out of greenside bunkers and in greenside rough. The club has been great out of the sand and very good other places. Sometimes it can also be a confidence thing and I know I can hit this club well

I have the Taylormade MG2 60° and I love it. I use it for most shots 65 yards and in. For the longest time I used only a 56° for chipping and I really struggled getting close to the pin. Now I usually only use the 56° for shots in the 75-100 yard range

I didn't use a 60 for a long time, I stuck to 50-54-58. Then I got a good deal on a 54-60 set and my handicap was lower and was playing more and felt I should give it another shot. My 60* now is a low-mid bounce RTX3 and at first it was detrimental because I tried to use it too much. Now it really only gets used in a few specific scenarios:

1) 65-75 yard shots. I can take a full, controlled wedge swing and with solid contact, stick that number almost every time. Initially I thought it was risky, but now I honestly don't chunk the 60 any more often than the 54, and maybe less. They both need work, but they're generally good and much more consistent than trying to do a partial swing with a longer club for me.
2) Short sided chips and flops. It will stop quickly if I need it, and has just enough bounce to make it forgiving for flops.
3) Really firm sand. It has less bounce than my 54 so there's less chance of me blading it.

Stock chips and pitches are always with another wedge (usually a 54* for a stock chip, PW for a bump and run), but there are certain scenarios where the 60* is a critical tool for me.

No offense to those with a different opinion, but I don't buy into statements like "you're not good enough for that kind of club", we're all different, and we all have our strengths and weekneses. I used to limit my 60* wedge to a low bounce specialty club, used primarily in firm bunkers around the green (read that as hard pan bunkers with almost no sand in them), but this last year I've been using a Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 60* Full (12* bounce) with S-Grind Sole, compliments of THP and Cleveland Golf, that is an incredibly versatile and easy to hit lob wedge. I still use my 50* and 55* CBX2 wedges for most routine shots around the green, but this 60* works great on full swings out at 75 - 80 yds, those short sided shots where you have to carry a bunker, and is even pretty easy to hit full on flop shots. It works well out of good bunkers too, but I still put the low bounce 60* in the bag for some courses where I tend to frequent those crappy bunkers I mentioned earlier.

I'm not saying this would work as well for you, but it made a believer out of me, and I now have a club I use a lot, instead of one that is relegated to just one type of shot.

I agree. I don't buy that you aren't good enough for a 60* wedge. I used to carry a 56 as my highest lofted wedge till I tried a friends. Now I won't play without one.
I hit all kinds of shots with it. Most of my greenside bunkers are played with the 60 and I have fallen in love with using it to chip with. For me it is good for almost any distance inside 80 yards.

Ping Glide 3 wedges have been the easiest and most consistent wedges I've played. They're kind of the perfect balance between a more game improvement wedge and a players wedge. They also spin like crazy but that could be due to the more consistent contact I make with them.

I wanted to try the Zipcore wedge and found a 60 degree for a great price. And up to when I broke my arm, I was having good success with it. Forward in my stance for lobs and back in the stance for low spinney shots.
Playing in a best ball tournament on Monday, that raises money for a small college I went to, 37 years in a row. Will only be able to pitch and putt one handed.

I grew my golf game playing the 52, 56, 60. As my handi has dropped my feeling is that high lofted wedges can mask major issues. I have a 52, 55, 59 in the bag now and I'm not sure i have ever attempted a 59 out of sand. I can do about anything reasonable for a 10 handi with a 55.

my next set is likely a 50, 54, 58

I grew my golf game playing the 52, 56, 60. As my handi has dropped my feeling is that high lofted wedges can mask major issues. I have a 52, 55, 59 in the bag now and I'm not sure i have ever attempted a 59 out of sand. I can do about anything reasonable for a 10 handi with a 55.

my next set is likely a 50, 54, 58

I'm curious, what kind of issues can they mask? My experience (as a much higher capper) is that they're pretty punitive.

I'm curious, what kind of issues can they mask? My experience is that they're pretty punitive.

for many years I hit down hard with trail hand and closed the face with an over the top move. with the 60 it looked like I got the ball up a bit. If I was on a tight lie and bladed it then you are correct. that normally happened on the rare drive that had me like 75 yards from the pin. 75 yards and hit a 150 yard shot(n)

Back