64 Degree Wedge: Yes or No?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Do you game one? What shots do you use it for? I’ve currently got 13 clubs in the bag and don’t have any gapping issues at the top of my bag. I’m fairly long and play short-medium length courses and my driver, 5 wood, 4 iron set up at the top is perfectly suffice. A 64 degree would be my 5th wedge. Thoughts?

Not for me.....

No. 60* is highest loft I've ever gamed and the last time I updated wedges I decided a 58* LW was more than enough loft for me as I can open it up when needed. A buddy loves his 64 and I've messed around with his a little when the course is backed up but I just don't need it. Too specialized to take up one of the valuable 14 slots we're alloted.

No, I have a 53/58* wedge setup

Had one once....client hit it so pure after borrowing on 18th hole...I gave it to him. Never got another, ha.

I still own a few but don't have room in the bag right now.

I had a 64 for a while. 50, 54, 60, 64. I used it for full shots from like 60-70 yards, and everything around the green that needed height. Never chipped with it. Used it a lot in the bunker with a square face. Now I am 50,54,60 and I don't need it as much as I am versatile with the 54 and 60 but it was money for short sided delicate pitches

One of my top three favorite clubs! It gets used from 65 and in most of the time.

If there is an odd circumstance I'll grab the 60. The 56 and 52 are for BR's or anything touch between 80-130. Hardly ever full swing my wedges.

I've got a 60* in the bag right now, and after my putter it's my most used club by a mile!

I would give a 64* a try! Never held one though!

Hard no for me. I'd be more likely to double up in the 4i-5W range for a specific shot/flight/conditions, or another 54/56* with a different grind, than carry a 64. I'd never use it. I've yet to find a shot that required it.

No and I’ve never used one. I guess it would be okay if you only used it around the greens. Otherwise, I’m not sure how useful it would be.

I have a 62 which is the highest loft I have ever owned. Only take it out once and a while to have fun with hit some different shots. Would never bag it in a round that meant something. 58 is the highest lofted wedge I have in the bag for every round.

Yes!
I have a Callaway PM Grind 64° in the bag since somewhere around 2015. The first model and now the 2019 model.
It is one of the best clubs in my bag.
I use it for all greenside bunker shots and any flop shots.
The trick is to lay it open and be confident.
I find this quite easy as you need a big swing so no chance really of duffing it thanks to the bounce.
I would highly recommend the PM Grind above all others, if not at 64° then 60°.
I will always use a 64° now.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I’ve tried one. I’d never use it for anything other than popping it up high over a hill or an obstacle to stick it close to a short sided pin. And honestly, I’m more successful in doing that with an opened up 58* or 60*. So no. Im good on the 64.

I've never actually tried one, but find an opened 60 gets all the height I need for anything shots that a 64 would be needed for. Would try it for a giggle though..

Had one in the bag years ago but it only really got used for short-sided shots around the green, and since improving my game I can manage with my 58
If I changed my wedge setup, I would maybe go 50/55/60 instead of the current 50/54/58, but I don't see myself going any higher than that

No to the 64°. I even got rid of my 60°. My LW at 58° has sufficient loft which I can increase by opening the face.

My highest loft is a 56*. I would have zero use for a 64.

No. Can’t imagine how or why I’d use it.

That's a recipe for me hitting myself in the face.:ROFLMAO: I've never tried a wedge higher than 58* and there's problem enough advancing the ball at times. Knowing my luck it would go straight up then right back to where it was before I hit it.:ROFLMAO:

56 degrees is the highest loft I'm comfortable hitting. And that's only used for sand. It's a 50 for everything else. I've had 60 degree wedges before and just stunk with them.

Back