7 wood or 4 hybrid in the rough?

FeMan

Reaction score
Odd question I am sure or maybe obvious. I am a Senior Golfer (73)and have a swing speed at 80 or so mph.
I am trying to fill the 20*-23* loft gap. Have a 4H Callaway Rogue which do not hit very well. Likely not best choice of a hybrid under my circumstances
Been looking at the Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood especially since it has an adjustable hosel. But the Maverick Max 7 wood looks intriguing
So...any thoughts or suggestions on a better choice of a 7 wood with an adjustable hosel?
Or a perhaps a 4 hybrid with an adjustable hosel as well that is better choice for Senior player?
Perhaps Ping 425?
Should mention Ijust took game in August 2020 after 30 year layoff. Playing in mid 90s currently
Tough to find a store here that has the Epic Flash since its an older club

I feel like in the rough I would never choose a wood. I would either be using a high lofted iron or my 2 hybrid if I am going to be aggressive.

I feel like in the rough I would never choose a wood. I would either be using a high lofted iron or my 2 hybrid if I am going to be aggressive.

I disagree. I don’t have a 7 wood but I do have a 5 wood and that goes through the rough better than my 4 hybrid. I would hit 5 wood out of the rough when I am not sure I can get 5 iron out of the rough.

I have been thinking about a 7 wood and will likely try one out at some point this year.

That’s what I am leaning towards esp. in the rough. I hit my Fairway woods pretty well but just need a reliable rough club
Thanks

I disagree. I don’t have a 7 wood but I do have a 5 wood and that goes through the rough better than my 4 hybrid. I would hit 5 wood out of the rough when I am not sure I can get 5 iron out of the rough.

I have been thinking about a 7 wood and will likely try one out at some point this year.

Completely depends on lie, I would never do it with the rough around me in VA. If I was playing while at the Florida estate then maybe a wood wouldn't be so bad.

It really depends on your lie and confidence in the club. I never had great success with hybrids so usually default to my fairway wood or iron. I'm going to experiment this year with a utility iron in that spot as well... Out of the rough though, I really like the Cobra baffler system! I've hit out of many places that seemed like jail on first inspection!

I would prefer the 4h over the 7w from the rough and if the rough is thick 7i.

Between the 2 I would use the hybrid out of the rough.

I would choose hybrid, due to maybe a little shorter length in shaft which helps with control and face maybe a little bigger.

Assuming those are my two choices, it's a 4-hybrid all day, every day. The shorter shaft and smaller sole means you can get the club through with far less contact with the grass as you will have with the 7-wood. Also, the hybrid is designed to hit down on, while a 7-wood is designed for a more sweeping motion. Everything else equal, you'll have much more success with a hybrid.

I think a 4H is a great club to chop it out of the rough.

when introduced, weren't hybrids called "rescue" clubs? and intended for poor lies? imma gonna stick with my 3 rescue/hybrid out of the rough unless presented with a really nice lie... then a fairway wood gets considered.

Depends on the roughness of the rough.

When I played a 7 wd, I could play it out of thin rough.

I prefer a 4H or even a 5H depending on the thickness of the rough. If the ball is buried, I use a short iron and take my medicine. But the 4H will be a smaller head and typically has worked well for me. But it also depends on the shaft. You will want something that easily gets up in the air.

Our rough is Bermuda. When it's grown out, good luck getting a FW through that! I'll take 4H over 7W from the rough every time.

I love my fairways, but for thick nasty rough the heavier hybrid will be better. Any other time I would go 7W everyday.

4h over 7w but sometimes the lie makes me pull a 8i and simply survive

4h over 7w but sometimes the lie makes me pull a 8i and simply survive
Sometimes it's all you can do to get it back on the short grass.

Difficult to say, all dependant on the lie in the rough. If it’s sat up nicely I’ll often take a 3w, but then it it’s down a bit then whatever club will get me back on the fairway and not leave it in the rough. If you had a gun to my head though, I’d probably be going with the hybrid and trying to dig it out a bit more.

I've never hit a 7 wood so I don't know what it would do for me in the rough. I do know that I can hit a 4 hybrid pretty well from the rough. At 63 years old, I would consider myself as a "Senior-ish" player...

I've got a 7w in my bag. I like it. It does what I need it to do from the tee to the fairway to the rough. I've never hit a hybrid so I don't know what I'm missing... besides, I prefer the look of a traditional fairway wood.

If that's what you're comfortable hitting, go for a 7w. If you're right handed, odds are you can find something online at Callaway pre owned, or second swing... and they've got their "if you're not happy club guarantee". (I just picked up a set of irons that were brand spanking new... one club had been hit maybe 5 times total. and the price was awesome!)

Or there's maybe a local play it again sports, or any number of online places like budgetgolf...

I've never hit a 7 wood so I don't know what it would do for me in the rough. I do know that I can hit a 4 hybrid pretty well from the rough. At 63 years old, I would consider myself as a "Senior-ish" player...
I used to carry a 7W. It was that club that even on a day when nothing was going right and the whole rest of the bag went south, I could still hit a decent shot with that club.

If I’m hitting a 20-24* fairway, I’ll take a Callaway Heavenwood all day. But not in thick rough. I have Rogue Hybrids, I can hit the 5 fine but wasn’t worth a damn with the 4, so I sent it back. Depending on how thick the rough is, HW, 5h, or most likely, whatever iron I’m comfortable with. I could get a good swing with my Rogue 4i out of some pretty bad lies. But if it’s really shiggy, I’m clubbing up to 6-7i.

Odd question I am sure or maybe obvious. I am a Senior Golfer (73)and have a swing speed at 80 or so mph.
I am trying to fill the 20*-23* loft gap. Have a 4H Callaway Rogue which do not hit very well. Likely not best choice of a hybrid under my circumstances
Been looking at the Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood especially since it has an adjustable hosel. But the Maverick Max 7 wood looks intriguing
So...any thoughts or suggestions on a better choice of a 7 wood with an adjustable hosel?
Or a perhaps a 4 hybrid with an adjustable hosel as well that is better choice for Senior player?
Perhaps Ping 425?
Should mention Ijust took game in August 2020 after 30 year layoff. Playing in mid 90s currently
Tough to find a store here that has the Epic Flash since its an older club
My first question would be: do you like hybrids? Some people just dont like hybrids (it took me a long time to adjust to them) and if thats you, buy the wood.
I also wouldnt pick a club based upon hitting it out of the rough because theres so many other instances that you are going to hit the club that arent the rough.
I personally wouldnt hit a wood out of the rough unless the ball were sitting up and even then, its a risk because the design of a wood isnt meant for hitting out of the rough.

yeah, if someone does not like a hybrid they are better off shelving it and playing an iron if the lie is bad.

In 2020 I played quite a bit of golf and tried to really learn lessons as I played. I obsersed myself and my playing partners playing different clubs from different places and it was a very good education. Towards the back half of the year, I stopped playing for the most part the shot that can't statisitcally be hit from the position it is in. While I did this, I continued to watch my playing partners attempt to hit 4woods out of the rough and what not. Every now and again the lie supports it and result was good, however I saw more self induced strokes then I could describe. Each time I saw one it enforced the lesson too me. as said by many, it depends on the lie.

On the 4h itself even in the back of the year, I hit it most of the time in moderate rough situations and almost never pullled the 3h unless I was on the fairway.

Back