7 wood or 4 hybrid in the rough?

This is a very personal preference thing IMO. You need to be confident in what you have to take a good swipe at the ball in the rough. All the swing faults that come from lack of confidence like deceleration or rushed transition are going to have multiplied effects hitting out of the rough.

A 5 hybrid is a better comparison to 7 wood, maybe even a 6 hybrid. More loft will always make it easier to get out of the rough and at your swing speed the difference in distance between a 4, 5 or 6 hybrid may not be much.

As for recommendations, the Cobra bafflers hybrids and fairways cut through the rough and trouble like no other long clubs. I carry an F8 One 5 Hybrid just for trouble, but it is at least 10 yd shorter then a full length hybrid. The iron length Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrids are cheap and fantastic as well. If I carry a fairway wood which is not often, it is strictly for the fairway.

Lastly, adjustable hosels are mostly hype unless you understand they do not change the loft of the club and only the face angle and / or lie angle.

Last edited:
I think if you have the right sole on a 7 wood, then you are fine from the rough. Loved the V series heavenwood from the rough, same for the Cobra F7 and Mashie FW. Those designs just worked wonders on that lie. It's also why I like the sole of the Cleveland Halo hybrid. Cuts through the rough.

Back