7wood vs Hybrid? Advantages/Disadvantages?

Man, reading through this thread I may have made a mistake going with a 3U instead of a 7w :D

I have limited time with the 7 wood so far, but here is what I'd say compared to my hybrid experiences:

Hybrid: shorter shaft feels more comfortable and controllable in the hands. NOT to say that is a fact, just a perception thing perhaps and YMMV. Feels a bit easier to knock down (not by much though!). The left miss can sneak up on me, which I hate. Rolls out a fair bit more after landing.

7 Wood: Launch feels easier. Had no issue hitting a knock down type shot. Longer shaft seems less controllable, settling when trying to be in full control (perception here, not reality perhaps). Didn't hit any hooks with it during my time so far, so that is a positive. Stops quickly when it lands.

Man, reading through this thread I may have made a mistake going with a 3U instead of a 7w :D
I’ve dabbled with the utilities but always have this perception that I might not have the speed to play it, which leads to trying to swing faster, which leads to no good....

Likely all in my head, but as Bobby Jones said, “golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears”

I’ve dabbled with the utilities but always have this perception that I might not have the speed to play it, which leads to trying to swing faster, which leads to no good....

Likely all in my head, but as Bobby Jones said, “golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears”
For me I like a driving iron of sorts. I don't like seeing a lot of loft on the club it freaks me out. Hence why I gamed a 2h last year instead of a 5w. I hit long irons well typically so thats the route I chose. Everyone is different and there is no wrong answer.

7W and an equivalent hybrid can have the same rough distance, however they can accomplish completely different things. They can also have completely different distance depending on the player.

For me, the overall distance ends up being pretty close to the same, however during the summer my clubs greens get harder, so the 7w goes into the bag. This is for a couple of reasons, during the summer, my 4 iron now makes the corner on the dog legs where I use my hybrid during the winter. Also hitting into the few greens from this distance the 7w holds the green much more reliably because of the higher peak height and spin over the hybrid. The hybrid goes into the bag when I play a course that is not my home course all year long

For me, a 21* 7wood with a 41.5" length shaft goes the same distance as a hybrid with roughly 18* of loft and a shaft length of 40".

For someone else a 21* 7 wood with a 42" shaft may go the same as a 17* hybrid with 40.5" length, for another it may be 20" with 39.5" shaft.

I have never hit a 7w, I feel like I am missing out

For me I like a driving iron of sorts. I don't like seeing a lot of loft on the club it freaks me out. Hence why I gamed a 2h last year instead of a 5w. I hit long irons well typically so thats the route I chose. Everyone is different and there is no wrong answer.

I once played Cleveland VAS Irons and Nike Square Drivers :oops: ... nothing freaks me out:ROFLMAO:

Except those weird wedges ... that "help" you out of bunkers. Those frighten me.:whistle:

We are all different. Go with the 2i.

I once played Cleveland VAS Irons and Nike Square Drivers :oops: ... nothing freaks me out:ROFLMAO:

I loved my old Callaway Fti driver. My friends nicknamed in 'The Toaster"!

I have gamed both. At times I have had both in the bag at the same time. Back then I had more confidence in the hybrid but could hit the 7W a bit further and when it was on I loved it.

I have always favored swinging irons vs anything else and utilities are just where I am happy right now so no hybrids or fairways of any lift currently reside in my bag. I need to fix my signature today actually now that I am thinking about it since it has changed.

Let's go with 9 woods....I have one of those as well

I always struggled with hybrids. My young son took his out of the bag and replaced it with a 3 iron. (Not an option for me!) Big difference for him. After seeing pros at last year's US Open using 7 woods, I resurrected an an ancient Cobra Comp 7 wood. Personally, it was much easier to consistently hit high, straight and hold greens. Sold both hybrids. Your mileage may vary...

I’m working with a combo of Ping 3 and 7 woods.

I took the 3 wood down a half inch to 5 wood length (42.5”) with additional head weight, but kept standard loft of 14.5*.

The 7 wood is standard length (42”), but loft is dialed down to 19*, traditional 5 wood..

I play the tour 75 shaft in both, nothing flimsy about it.

I really like the Ping 5 wood, but at 17.5*, it’s really a 4 wood - I might dial it to 16.5* and play it as a 3HL, but right now I prefer the actual 3W.

My next club is a 21* TM hybrid (M3).

It’s all working ok so far, no confusion about which to pull, each has a role. No reason to fear hitting today’s 7 wood too high with correct loft setting and shaft.

PXG, Mizuno CLK, TEE, and others

I forgot the Ping G425 Hybrid which is getting raves from reviewers - consistent spin being one factor.

TM SIM Max also works well

And I just picked up a Epic Speed 7 wd - higher than hybrid, still experimenting

I put in a 7w last year after trying a hybrid out and making all the adjustments to keep from hitting a big hook. I also carry a 3w and 5w and have adjusted the lofts to help with gapping. The gap between my 7w and 5i is a little big but I grip down and use my normal swing for the in between yardage. This has really helped my game and I am looking at a 9w. My issue is as I have gotten older I cannot hit the irons like I did when I was young. I carried a 1i-sw for years and no woods as I could not control them but that was a long time ago. I can hit my 7w from 190 - 215 depending on where I grip the club.

I have always been a huge fan of a 7w. I have a Speedzone that I currently play at 22.5 degrees. I like my ability to flight and shape the ball with a 7w. That said, I picked up a Big Bertha B21 4h over the winter. Sunday was my first round of the year. I replaced the 7w with the 4h. I hit the Big Bertha hybrid a couple of times in my round, including a tee shot on a Par 3. The 4h performed very well for me. To be honest, I believe the Big Bertha hybrids are very good for my game.

I'll be honest I had absolutely no idea that so many loved a 7w. It certainly doesn't feel very internet golferish haha

I spent some time with my fitter the other day hitting the Sim Max2 7w comparing it to my Sim Max 5W. I found that I didn't hit them that differently enough that it made sense to have both.

I then hit a Ping 7W with some loft added to it getting it to 22*. We found the distance on that to be more where I wanted. The issue was adding loft closed the face which is what I am looking to avoid. We decided that the 9w which is 23.5* with loft reduced to 22* would be the ticket. After mulling it over during the weekend I ordered a Ping 425 9W with a Mitsubishi C6 shaft 70g in stiff flex. This seemed to get me right in the distance window I was looking for of 185-190 yard carry that sat reasonably well. Cool Clubs could get it to me in 2 weeks they had the head in stock. Ordering from Ping with one of their stock shafts that might work would be a minimum of 4-6 week lead time.

On the hybrid front I hit the Titleist TSi3 20* on Sunday that a friend of mine had. This club didn't go left but I didn't get the height out of it that I was looking for. If you are worried about losing shots left with a hybrid this club could be a good option. I didn't have a good sense for distance as it was on the range with range balls.

I spent some time with my fitter the other day hitting the Sim Max2 7w comparing it to my Sim Max 5W. I found that I didn't hit them that differently enough that it made sense to have both.

I then hit a Ping 7W with some loft added to it getting it to 22*. We found the distance on that to be more where I wanted. The issue was adding loft closed the face which is what I am looking to avoid. We decided that the 9w which is 23.5* with loft reduced to 22* would be the ticket. After mulling it over during the weekend I ordered a Ping 425 9W with a Mitsubishi C6 shaft 70g in stiff flex. This seemed to get me right in the distance window I was looking for of 185-190 yard carry that sat reasonably well. Cool Clubs could get it to me in 2 weeks they had the head in stock. Ordering from Ping with one of their stock shafts that might work would be a minimum of 4-6 week lead time.

On the hybrid front I hit the Titleist TSi3 20* on Sunday that a friend of mine had. This club didn't go left but I didn't get the height out of it that I was looking for. If you are worried about losing shots left with a hybrid this club could be a good option. I didn't have a good sense for distance as it was on the range with range balls.
I Play 7wd in small minus then 9wd at standard flat.....its almost like the golf gods smiled upon us

You will not be disappointed in the 9wd....better decision I made was adding the 9wd

I used a 9 wd in a Callaway GBB about 5 yrs ago - it was reliable. Nice club if you set it up with a slightly heavier shaft than stock (typically) and shorter shaft length.

@ Chef23
I've been pondering a TSi3 20º hybrid, but haven't had chance to hit one yet. When you say it didn't give you the height you were looking for, was the flight unusually low for a 3h, or just lower than what you wanted? Appreciate your feedback.

This thread got me thinkin' and refurbishing.

I tried a Calloway "Heaven Wood" 7 wood years ago and I never got comfortable with it and put it away.

Our 14th is a mid range par 3 with about 160 to carry the river with pin readings from the whites running around 180yds. I normally hit a five iron and that's certainly enough to carry the water but my shots often hit short of the green and roll to the front...I could use more height. When the tees are back from that or there's wind I've tried to hit an easy 5 wood but alas, it's just too much club.

So I pulled out the old 7 wood:

s-l300.jpg

The decision was whether I would be able to truly test it out with the worn out, glazed over grip. I decided to go ahead and perhaps waste the 8 bucks so I re-gripped it. Woke to an inch of snow this morning so I'll have to report back after I've tried it out. It would be nice to have the right club even just for that one hole. Of course, I'd like to eventually go to a more modern club but the ping 425s are all going for over two bills and I don't want to risk possibly not liking it.

Oh man what a fun story of my 7 wood. I got to the tee of #14 yesterday just 4 over par and faced the shot over the river. Wind was up a bit and I decided to risk the 7 wood with the new grip. Well I pured it high and right to in front of the green. Didn't quite get there but I think the wind took a little something off of it. It worked for a two putt par on a tough hole and I think in normal conditions, it might be just right.

I didn't even take it to the range; this was the first time swinging it in 15 years! Looks like my 4 iron's gonna take a time out for a spell. Lol! 4 out of 5 times that I use my 4 iron it's to punch the ball under the branches and out of the woods back into the fairway anyway!

@ Chef23
I've been pondering a TSi3 20º hybrid, but haven't had chance to hit one yet. When you say it didn't give you the height you were looking for, was the flight unusually low for a 3h, or just lower than what you wanted? Appreciate your feedback.

Sorry just saw this. It wasn’t unusually low for a hybrid just lower than I was looking for. I don’t hit the ball very high and I am looking for more trajectory in that distance window.

Back