I'm with Tahoebum: 80-85% I am definitely expecting a par at the very least (I am hunting a birdie with a 9-iron or better in my hands) and unless I make a horrendous swing should be on the green with my approach. Worst case would be just off the green and a simple up and down for par.

Probably 40-50% I would say....something I really need to work on for sure.

to be honest it would be about the same as if I were a 8 or 7 iron away. I just don't hit many greens in general. I'd have to be a pw or shirter before I can honestly say I hit more greens and also come close enough to have a more makeable up/down. I am going to be daring here and say with due respect I find it hard to believe how many feel they are about 50% pars with a 9iron except for those who may be in the single digits or very close. I think your giving an honest guess but I'd bet if most actually recorded that stat they would find its considerably less than that.

I'm not sure, but I know it's not good. Working on it though.

I'd say 80+% of the time.

I'd like to say 50% but probably 40, I don't know.

I would say about 50-60% of the time depending how well I'm putting.

Par? no clue on percentage but I'd say fairly high. Birdie is a whole different story.

I'm not sure that's ever happened to me. I don't drive it far enough.

Good topic. I don't really keep track of my stats so no exact figures. However, a lot of the time on my home course I will play with my son from the front tees (5400yrds instead of 6600yrds form the blues) and if I am playing well, it leaves me with nothing but 9i or less into the greens (except when I go for the par 5s in two) and for me it makes a huge difference - by the end of last season, probably 7-10 strokes over the course of the round, particularly if I am playing a lot of PW and SW into the green. Short irons and wedges into the green and it most often is a pretty easy 2-putt par and when I'm really on with my game, a decent to very good birdie opportunity. The biggest improvement that I need to focus on is accuracy of approach with longer irons so that my play from the blue tees can start to converge with my play from the front tees. With longer irons I tend to average double the distance to the hole and on more holes am having to rely on up and downs for par. My goal for this coming season is to have my 7i accuracy converge with my 9i accuracy and my 8i accuracy converge with my PW accuracy.

9 iron in my hand I'd say 75%+, kind of a go zone club.

Probably only 1/3 of the time, maybe less

Ill go 51%

I would figure about 50%. My putting is what kills me for instance, yesterday I only made 1 putt over 3 foot. Sucks!

Hmm, good question. I hit right around 40% GIR last year but that is from all distances. With 9 iron in, I've got to be a bit more accurate. But the dreaded 3-putts are going to happen occasionally to. I'm guessing 45% to 50% par with 9 iron or better in hand.

I would say probably 60% or so. I'd say I'm just as good with my 8 iron as well but as soon as I jump to the 7 iron the percentage starts to go down, and then down again at the 5 iron.

9 iron or better, I'd expect to hit the green at least 50% of the time or maybe a little more. Depends on the distance of course, but with a 9 to 7 iron in my hand, I'm more confident and might think more around 60% +/- 5%-ish.

Thinking back to my last round I hit 8 or 11 greens from 9 iron distance and in. Tough to judge putting this time of year though.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Great question. I don't really know the answer. I'm going to start paying attention.

Hypothetical Question :

Assume you hit your drive to a yardage that puts a 9 Iron or better in your hands for your approach shot on a par 4. This could be in the fairway or rough, either way you have a clear shot to the green.

How often do you walk away with a par? This includes GIR + 2 putt or just off the green for an up & down.

I'd say 75 to 85 percent of the time in this situation, par or better.

Last time I played I was landing my shots within 5 feet of the pin (closest was inside 2 feet) but the greens weren't holding. Still I was making pars. Had I putted better I'm sure I could have made a birdie or two.

Honest answer. 70-80% it's an area of my game I need to work on.

I'm going to guess around 75%. My bogeys or worse usually occurs from bad swings or bad decisions off the tee

Back