A bad case of hosel rockets...

Reaction score
Handicap
I got a real bad case right now. It’s hard for me to shake them when I get them because I once for them in Myrtle Beach and it wrecked my getaway- “played” some of the most beautiful courses and I couldn’t hit an iron (usually the strength of my game). Since then, whenever I get a case. the trauma of that trip comes back in every back swing. Call it Post Traumatic Shank Disorder... 😜
I have had success with some of the most popular remedies, but was thinking taking a break might be the best fix.
Thoughts?

Ok try this:

1. Put all your change in your left pocket
2. Tie your left shoe in a double knot
3. Turn your hat around backwards
4. Put a tee behind your left ear

I mean it worked for Roy.

Golf is not like baseball where the hands are thrown at the ball during the swing. With the golf swing the hands are thrown down towards the knees and under the head at the start of the downswing. This is necessary because of the lie angle of the shaft to the club head. Those from a baseball background need to be reminded of this.

Hang in there man. I was a bloody mess earlier this year, but watched some YouTube videos from a specific teacher and it definitely got me headed the right direction. Thankfully I've cleared that issue but for a solid month I was scared to death. Here's to hoping you too snap out of it 🤞

Anybody suffering from the hosel rockets should set up on the toe at address. It works great and you don't have to change anything else. Just go play golf and have fun until they pass.

Anybody suffering from the hosel rockets should set up on the toe at address. It works great and you don't have to change anything else. Just go play golf and have fun until they pass.
Thanks- I was doing that and hitting into my net using a sharpie mark on r tree he ball- I was hitting them in the center of the club face. Good to know I was on to something.

for me it’s as simple as lower body spacing. as i get to the top, my lower body drifts into the ball. i have to feel like my left hip is crunching down (which keeps my left knee from flexing too far over my left toe), while i really “sit into” my right hip almost like that hip is rotating back and away from the ball.

Take an extended break from the game. Do something different, away from golf for a few days.

I've heard/read swing experts say this affliction can be caused by a good many, different swing problems. That anything that can go wrong in one's golf swing is in fact going wrong.

I get this swing issue a few times each year, usually with my wedges. It's a swing path problem for me. I approach the ball too sharply from the inside. This is caused from a poor take away, and back swing, too far inside.

What I do, is start with short chip shots, and work my way back to full swings. I do this while paying strict attention to my one piece take away. I might also look for a faulty ball position, that might be too far back in my stance.
If this doesn't work immediately, I put the clubs away, and go fishing.

Usually after a rest from golf, my swing is back to normal upon my return.

Good luck, and remember that suicide is not an option.

I had a case of this a few years back with less than full pitch shots and chip shots. Never a problem with a full swing. After yet another shanked 40 yard pitch shot my buddy told me that he could see what I was doing wrong, but he would only tell me if I wanted to! Are you kidding me?! Tell me! This is driving me crazy!

He told me that on the shorter swings it looked like I was getting tired or lazy or something. I was just flipping the club behind me, and then basically throwing the hosel at the ball, and leaving my lower body out of it altogether.

I suppose this could only translate to your situation if you are getting the club stuck behind you. I would advise you to check that, and make sure that your lower body stays active in the swing. Little weird stuff can creep in without our knowledge, and suddenly we are doing something really wrong!

They are getting worse. I just tried hitting a gap wedge in field- more than half the bag were shanks- hit a bunch of grounders that went 10 yards. I’m an 8 handicap and iron play used to be my pride and joy. How can this happen? I have completely lost the ability to hit a golf ball…

They are getting worse. I just tried hitting a gap wedge in field- more than half the bag were shanks- hit a bunch of grounders that went 10 yards. I’m an 8 handicap and iron play used to be my pride and joy. How can this happen? I have completely lost the ability to hit a golf ball…
Stop guessing and go see a pro. You are just going to drive yourself crazy. Go get a lesson and get back to enjoying the game.

post a video. down the line and face on. if you got to an 8, the good mojo is still in there. the fix may be easier than you think.

Had a bad case here and time to time they come out... It's a lack of focus on body and more on hands... Just start swing with body and let the arms follow. I fixed mine during a round by hitting 1/4 shots while waiting to tee off. Just focus that energy and hitting like 75% distance.

Shanks usually come from the arms moving away from the body on the down swing. Try hitting balls with a glove under your left arm and hold it there through impact. It is okay if it drops out at the finish. You can also try hitting half shots holding a towel in both arm pits.

I hit about four hosel rockets at the range yesterday. I can't remember the last time I've hit more than one.

As @Chef23 says, I quickly determined my problem was a lack of connection. Without realizing it I'd begun doing an arms-only swing. Once I made sure to maintain my connection on the takeaway, I went back to solid contact.

But as others have said, there can be dozens of reasons. Consulting a pro is best.

Shanks usually come from the arms moving away from the body on the down swing. Try hitting balls with a glove under your left arm and hold it there through impact. It is okay if it drops out at the finish. You can also try hitting half shots holding a towel in both arm pits.

Yup, this. (y)

Happens to me a couple times a year.. What I've realized is this
1. I'm failing to rotate my lower body through the ball.
2. I get "flippy" with my irons and throw my hands at the ball versus remaining tight through the ball...

To get out of it I do the following:
1. Wider stance
2. Really concentrate on rotating my lower half through ball
3. and make sure my right elbow doesn't fly out during the down swing
3b. I'll tend then to lift my back rt heel to help ensure I'm not falling back on the swing and weight is coming through the swing...

But mainly it's all about my lower half and hands flying out which then doesn't allow me to close the face of the club.

Easiest solution is this in my opinion. Stand with your feet close together so that your insteps are touching one another. Will feel super awkward at first, but it will eliminate hosel hits. Hit a bunch on SW shots in this setup position, then take normal stance keeping lower body still just like you did with your feet touching and magically they hosel hits are gone. Got this tip from a top 50 teaching pro in the country that instructs at a nearby club.

Happens to me a couple times a year.. What I've realized is this
1. I'm failing to rotate my lower body through the ball.
2. I get "flippy" with my irons and throw my hands at the ball versus remaining tight through the ball...

To get out of it I do the following:
1. Wider stance
2. Really concentrate on rotating my lower half through ball
3. and make sure my right elbow doesn't fly out during the down swing
3b. I'll tend then to lift my back rt heel to help ensure I'm not falling back on the swing and weight is coming through the swing...

But mainly it's all about my lower half and hands flying out which then doesn't allow me to close the face of the club.
Not sure why, but the wider stance seems to be working for me. That and feeling like I’m keeping my hands low to the ground for as long as possible on the backswing.
I videoed my swing a bunch of times hitting into my net and even on the solid shots I notice at the top I move my hands ever so slightly to the outside as I begin my swing- no matter how much I try to “swing toward 2nd base” I can’t seem to solve that glitch- it’s definitely why I pull the ball when I’m not hitting hosel rockets.

awesome speed! i’m jealous. from my unprofessional not-very-good-at-this-game eye, it looks to me like you have an ott move pushing your hands away from you. i think you can either work on shallowing out in the transition, or really focus on maintaining space in your lower body. there are tons of ways to achieve this, but i would defer to someone like @TrueMotionMatt for his expertise.

awesome speed! i’m jealous. from my unprofessional not-very-good-at-this-game eye, it looks to me like you have an ott move pushing your hands away from you. i think you can either work on shallowing out in the transition, or really focus on maintaining space in your lower body. there are tons of ways to achieve this, but i would defer to someone like @TrueMotionMatt for his expertise.
Thanks.
I have slow motion video of an ever so slight ott move at the top- my hands just won’t drop inside with the visualizations over been using thus far- Michael Breed has one that I have to give a try: feel as if you keep your back turned as long as possible when you start the swing. Not sure how to visualize what you’re saying of “maintaining space in my lower body.”
Thanks for taking a look.
I feel like this shank thing is really forcing me to fix a swing flaw that I’ve had for a long time.

Holy cow! Personally I'd be petrified to have my net pointed at the road like that...

But I'm not afraid to hit a shot on a fairway split by a road... odd. I know.

Hope you find what's wrong and cure the issue!!

Thanks.
I have slow motion video of an ever so slight ott move at the top- my hands just won’t drop inside with the visualizations over been using thus far- Michael Breed has one that I have to give a try: feel as if you keep your back turned as long as possible when you start the swing. Not sure how to visualize what you’re saying of “maintaining space in my lower body.”
Thanks for taking a look.
I feel like this shank thing is really forcing me to fix a swing flaw that I’ve had for a long time.

maintaining space means not letting your lower body creep in towards the ball during the downswing and into impact. lots of drills and feels for how to do this. i like focusing on the lead hip, but if you’re ott that may not be the best feel since that could exacerbate the path issue.

Back