A Brand Story: Online Golf Sales and Budget Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The world changed with the growth of the internet and e-commerce in general. That will be the most obvious thing you have read in years, maybe ever. But to understand the story of the world of online shopping for golf equipment, we must first go back to before it was in place and how it all got started, specifically for one of the largest online retailers in the space, Budget Golf.

Budget Golf didn’t become a success in e-commerce sales overnight. In fact, it didn’t even start as an online store. To understand the humble beginnings, we asked Steve Messineo, Founder and President to help us on this journey.

“I started working in a golf shop when I was 14 yrs old. At 18, the shop was sold to a new owner. I found myself coming back to work on school breaks and supporting the business at a high level. I really became passionate about the business. When...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I love to hear stories like theirs! Great read!

I am a fan of Budget Golf - it’s great to hear of their success story.

Great story. Wouldn’t mind seeing a Budget Golf in my area.

Great read this morning. At first I thought something happened to the images my phone was pulling in when I saw AOL.

My first stop when shopping is Budget Golf!!!

That’s an awesome story on their history. Hands down one of the best companies THP supports, and they pay it back to us ten fold with some pretty awesome events.

Great read and a great story. I can give first hand testimony of how amazing they have been to work with in emails, phone and texts. Every time I have spoken to someone at budget golf they have delivered with incredible personal detail. They have all been amazing to work with.

That was a good read, love the story behind it. Their customer service for me has always been second to none.

Outstanding read! Loved learning more about their history and successes throughout the years. I know the Budget website is always my first stop when shopping for anything golf related.

Great article. My family was in retail in the fuel shortage 70s. Dad struggled but was fortunate that his retirement from. Retail was approaching. Not the same, but similar. Very very glad the budget golf is still here and that the times allowed 5em to not just survive but prosper. I look at THP and their site both regularly. Budget golf, has great customer service, THP has great articles and members. Can’t think of a better match for golf as a whole. Thanks to both entities.

That is one of the best behind the curtains stories I’ve read. It’s no wonder a budget is so likable!

The people there are top notch. Super friendly.

Great read and great success story. The thoughts of a 350% jump in business sounds fun but it had to be a stressful time.

Budget Golf is a great story and ran by wonderful people! I purchase from Budget Golf all the time. I was shocked by the massive size of the warehouse and amount of inventory. But, Budget’s best asset is their employees!

I really enjoyed that brand story. Having met Steve and several other Budget team members kind of makes it even cooler. Crazy to think how their business shifted like that. Seems like they made the switch at the right time.

Appreciate the story, and it’s great to learn a bit more of how Budget Golf got to where it is today. Every time I see a picture of the warehouse I am in awe. So much fun in that place!

Customer service is always top notch as well.

Very cool story. They are definitely my go to place for online golf shopping. Great customer service.

Great read @JB

I know I’m not the only one that immediately heard ‘that sound’ upon seeing the AOL screenshot. I almost instinctively yelled ‘Don’t pickup the phone!’ LMAO.

It’s so refreshing to hear a story of a retail store being ahead of the online movement instead of chasing it from behind. Major kudos to the guys and gals at Budget Golf.

Great Read! Love supporting companies that support THP

Great read @JB

I know I’m not the only one that immediately heard ‘that sound’ upon seeing the AOL screenshot. I almost instinctively yelled ‘Don’t pickup the phone!’ LMAO.

It’s so refreshing to hear a story of a retail store being ahead of the online movement instead of chasing it from behind. Major kudos to the guys and gals at Budget Golf.
Thank you. It was a blast to research.

Great story!! I probably missed it but when did the partnership between THP and Budget Golf get started ?

man, what a fun read.

That said; "you might find a Budget Golf store near you again someday!!!” ---- I don't believe it hahaha

What a great story behind this company. It's really cool seeing how they were able to pivot and find success as consumer shopping changed. Reading this story helps me see why this company could make something like #THPSweep happen and why their service is always so stellar.

Great story, great company!

Enjoyed the read and learning the history of the brand. Great combo with the experience starting today too to get some background.

Back