A Cool Thing I Proposed For Our League

NEhomer

Reaction score
Handicap
A few years ago I was playing in a 9 hole league at a public course. That it's a 9 hole course is kind of important because the whole league needs to play the same holes for this to work. We had 32 guys playing and we played for 20 weeks. I proposed a year long skin on the challenging 175yd uphill par 8th for a dollar a week per man.

For some reason 3 guys declined but I took a $20.00 bill from everyone to start the year. There was a $29.00 skin weekly for low score. Of course par will never win it with 29 guys going through and birds are rare so it rolled over and quickly grew. Gotta tell you, that 8footer for bird to likely win some nice cash gets a little trickier. I placed a sign in the ground between #8 green and #9 tee with everyone listed. The first guy to par would mark his score and then no one else had to record a par. We could all see if someone ahead had birdied.

Ha, it went to over $200 before the first guy finally got it and then his partner won $29.00 the next week, then we had two birds one week and finally, it got to the rest of the cash riding the final week. To clear the books, we did a closest to the pin on that hole that night. To even things the best we could for the older guys, we moved the tee to the front of the box.

So we had a lot of fun with it, it's only a buck a week and it was always the story. I'm now at a private 18 hole course and our league plays three groups off of different tees so that would make it impossible but for any of you guys in a league that plays the same holes, you might want to try it.

A little lesson aside: The fellow who won the big bucks at the end was a younger guy 2nd year in the league. Dude stuffed the cash in his pocket and left. Um, yeah there was some rumbling at the bar about him. I advise anyone who wins a chunk of cash like that to throw a hundred down on the bar at least. Cripes, we're not pros.

It was a blast to do though and I hear that they're still doing it in that league.

I love stuff like this!! Great idea.

Sounds like it added to the fun of the league each week

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

That's a cool contest!

That’sa fun way to spice things up a bit. And I don’t blame the guy for taking the cash and running - god knows I needed the cash when I was younger but these days I would put it all at the bar for the group.

skins are always a good way to have friendly bets.

great stuff

Cool contest. Sounds like a good time

Back