A golf hat as a training aid ????.... bear with me ....

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
So this is weird but on the course and range I have tried wearing my golf hat backwards and with a normal swing, especially with driver, I always knock my hat off if worn backwards. I’m guessing it’s because I don’t get a good extension with my arms after contact on the follow through. I think I fold my arms and they end up close to my head and bump the bill on my cap.

A couple months ago I was playing a round. I was playing poorly. For some odd reason I turned my hat backwards after hole 11 and hit my drive on #12. I snapped hooked it and knocked my hat off in the process. Something popped in my head and I remember seeing pics of Spieth and JT playing with their hat backwards. They never knock their caps off. I was playing with a couple guys that day and the one guy said hit another one. I took a couple more swings and noticed on the follow through I had to really extend my arms and if I did my hat never fell off. So the remainder of the round I wore the cap backwards and hit the best drives of the round. Never tried it again though.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was playing, after the first few holes I turned my cap around. Not sure why. Course was backed up and I got bored. Took a practice swing and the hat fell off. I told myself if you don't extend your arms that is going to happen every time. My very next drive was my longest of the day and I'd argue the drives after that point we're all better than those on the first few holes. Also I had hit my fairway wood better than I think I ever have too during this round.

Would be a weird swing aid but the backwards hat might be a good thing for me lol

So take the backwards hat challenge. Take a swing and let me know if you cap gets bumped or falls off.

In summer months, I wear my Avatar. Never a problem. At other times, I have a leather Hogan-like cap flipped around. The latter requires a bit of attitude and humility for a senior such as myself. Never gave swing interference a thought.

Back