Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Let's say you're playing a hole where your approach distance to the flag is outside of your comfort zone. It's a tight corner pin protected by hazards of some sort. Are you more the type to play to wherever you can on the green, and hope for 1 or 2 putts (could be hundreds of feet, depending where you are) or do you pick a spot as close as you think you can get to the hole, but off the green (think just in front) and hope to chip on (and in maybe?) and walk away with a one-putt?

I'm the type to tends to go for the green and aim enough that if I don't make it I can play option 2 with ease, but ultimately I'd rather be putting. I play with some guys who are the exact opposite.

Can I vote aim for the safe spot and do either of your options based on where my ball actually goes? My putting per GIR is actually slightly higher than my putts per hole. so clearly i'm better if I can chip (from a putting perspective)

now that i'm getting more comfortable with chipping, i'd rather chip and 3 putt :ROFLMAO:...because who wants to 4 putt?

My chipping sucks, so I would go for the long putt.

I'm doing what I try to do on every hole. Play to the center of the green and go from there. I'm not good enough to miss a green in a certain spot on command.

hope and pray why the balls in the air then do my best from there ;)

Always putting for sure

I'd go long putts. I am a horrible chipper at the moment.

The more times I have the putter in my hands for a shot the better.

I'll chip and putt. Cross country putting isn't my jam.

Give me a chip and a putt every single time. But...I'm weird in that way. I chip in a lot so I'm really comfortable with it.

i would try the chip and then putt

I have less chance of skulling it onto the wrong green when putting, so I'll take a long putt over chipping any day

If I'm understanding the question, sometimes just off the green is a better miss for me. I don't have the skill to go flag hunting anyway. If there's an area just off the green and close to the hole that I can putt from, that's not a bad miss. GIR are great, but they certainly don't guarantee a par.

I would much rather have a chip (plenty of confidence in my ability) and one putt to save par.

I'm pretty confident in my lag putting, put me.on the green. ?

Let's say you're playing a hole where your approach distance to the flag is outside of your comfort zone. It's a tight corner pin protected by hazards of some sort. Are you more the type to play to wherever you can on the green, and hope for 1 or 2 putts (could be hundreds of feet, depending where you are) or do you pick a spot as close as you think you can get to the hole, but off the green (think just in front) and hope to chip on (and in maybe?) and walk away with a one-putt?

I'm the type to tends to go for the green and aim enough that if I don't make it I can play option 2 with ease, but ultimately I'd rather be putting. I play with some guys who are the exact opposite.

What's a comfort zone? What kind of hazards are we talking about? Sand? Go for it. Water? Play it safe. Hundreds of feet for the putt? Where are the greens that are >70y deep? That's insane!

What's a comfort zone? What kind of hazards are we talking about? Sand? Go for it. Water? Play it safe. Hundreds of feet for the putt? Where are the greens that are >70y deep? That's insane!
Why can't you just go along with a hypothetical instead of challenging everything?

Chip and putt. I’m rarely the safe play kind of player. I try and push it sometimes.

...play to wherever you can on the green, and hope for 1 or 2 putts (could be hundreds of feet, depending where you are)...
Hundreds of feet away and on the green? Where are you playing? I did not take the poll in part because I am quite comfortable with chipping or putting. However, I'm also struggling with this idea of needing to leave myself with a putt hundreds of feet long. I've played a lot of courses around the nation and can only think of less than a handful that could have a putt of that length and none of them would require a bailout of that length.

I've played a few courses where it seemed like I was putting from a different zip code...

I usually aim for the center of the green or, at the most, slightly towards the pin.

When and where do all you guys practice these 'hundreds of feet' putts you're so confident in?

I picked chip and putt. The times I’ve played courses that had gigantic greens, they were never flat, so an 80 ft putt that breaks a ton or needs to get up/down to a different level is pure luck for me to get close. I just don’t practice these kinds of putts ever.

if the “off the green“ option was grass, I’d take my chances chipping. If it was sand, I’m not a good bunker player, and in that case I’d aim for canter if green.

Actually I’m not good enough to aim for the pin so I’d probably just aim for middle of green and hope for the best. If it rolled off I’d be fine with that

atcually

Back