A Man Hitting from the Red Tee. Post your thoughts.

krispyk

Reaction score
Handicap
Since getting back into this sport up until very recently I have been a consistant short hitter off the tee. 170-200yds. I joined a league this year and see that everyone hits from the White's (6511yds) but we only have a few guys who can consistantly hit out to 250yds or better. Most everyone is playing longball on the second shot trying to hit the green. On the season 5 pars is the most pars in one week by one player (one of the very long hitters) and 2 birdies by one player in a week is the most (not the same week though). Our par 3's are 145, 170, 177, 200 at the marked distances but often the tee is back and the flag is back and we have a closest to the pin and most weeks very few even get on the greens in one.

For reference Gold tee is 5889 yds that you have to be 65 or older to play for league and Red Tee's are 5120yds.

I have played the Reds a couple times on my own and found it an absolute joy because my drive put me close enough to hit short iron/wedges and be on in regulation. My first time I shot 91 and that was with 7 three putts. (yes 7) . I was having a blast just getting to the green in regulation and didn't pay much attention to putting when I got there.

This is a quote I saw in another thread "Red tees? Really? Who was that who said to a guy who wanted to hit from the red tees - "Fine, you can hit from the red tees, as long as you'll wear a skirt."

When I mention that for next year at the very least that we should shorten up the par 3's and hit from the Reds to make the game more enjoyable for all I get scoffed at by the long hitters.

Please post your thoughts and any ideas.

I have even thought about starting a "Red Tee" league but doubt it would go over just because of the "Those are womens tees" montra.

Play the tee that makes the game the most fun for you. To hell with everyone else.

My father doesn't hit the ball very far as he is on his 60's So when we play I encourage him to play the red tees. As a matter of fact we played them today and we had a blast. I don't care about what other people have to say. Golf is a game and is meant to be fun. That's where it begins and ends for me.

You should play from where ever you are comfortable golf is supposed to be fun we are not pros just have fun!

The course should stop calling them "ladies" and "men's" tees.

I play all five tee boxes. Forward Tips to Back Tips. And I am 100% man

The course should stop calling them "ladies" and "men's" tees.

I play all five tee boxes. Forward Tips to Back Tips. And I am 100% man
2d7adb237d4e11cddbaa53ac0ac7e098.jpg

I love when people will bash others for playing the forward tees. Those people bashing are easily identified as dumbasses. Too many people play tees that are entirely too far back and it's all because of ego. Play what makes the game fun and allows you to score my dude. F*** ANYONE who gives you a hard time.

People who criticize you for the tees you play need to take a long hard look at their life to try and figure out why they are such dbags.

Play what makes you happy. Tell anyone who has issues with it to take a hike.

I think you'll enjoy the game more playing from the front tees and working on your short game skills than you ever would trying to play keep-up with anybody else. Then, when you get your short game dialed in, you can invite all those longer guys to play you from the front tees and enjoy the look on their faces when you take their money.

When I want to work on irons or want to really build confidence, I'll play the front tees. Yeah it may be a lot shorter, but shooting a good number still takes good shots. When I want to work on the longer stuff, I'll back it up to the point of discomfort into some holes.

As others have said, as long as you're happy then who cares?

Main point of golf is to have fun. Doesn't matter where you hit it from. The guys who say that nonsense are the ones who can struggle hitting woods into par fours all day if they want, if that's what makes them happy, but I'm with you.

You play to have fun use what ever tees you want. I wish my dad would play the most forward tees but his ego and the term ladies/jr tees won't let him.

This video sums it up for me. Guys playing tees they shouldn't. Don't let your ego or others ego get in the way. You want to play reds to make it easier? Junior? Go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Q5RE0q9Lo

I enjoy playing the front tees sometimes. Gives a different look to the course, and requires different clubs.

We aren't playing for hundreds of thousands on the weekends, so have as much fun as you can from whatever tees give you that opportunity.

Invite the nay Sayers to the front with you for a round and if they say they'll pass ask them to put their money where their ego is or to shut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common sense doesn't apply. Think about playing a few holes backward. I have this argument with a friend of mine all the time who wants me to move from the whites to the blues. One, I'm happy to be around 90 from the whites, a little above, a little below most times. Why in the world would I want to move to tees where my scores would consistently be at or over 100 again!! Ask THPers who I've played with (most THP events are from blues, LOL). He used to argue that when I'm in the whites, sometimes I'm further up in the fairway than he is so I'm long enough to be from the blues. Unfortunately the entire hole isn't played from the tee box. Even though he may be behind me for the second shot he may be hitting a 9 iron and I'm still hitting a 7 so in effect, and how I play my bag, I'm still playing a longer game. That's why there are different tee boxes.

It goes without saying that due to length of the drive and approach shots, women play off the reds and that's why they became known as the women's tees. But as has been posted, it shouldn't be that way. Play to a length that's appropriate for you. Do the math and play the hole backwards. Figure out what distance is right and play from that set of tees. 6300 seems pretty long for white in any case. That's about the distance for most blue sets of tees on courses that I've been at all over the country. There are exceptions of course and even different color tee designations. I'm referring to the typical red, white, blue, and black.

I actually like your suggestion of moving up for the par 3's. The last THP event I did here in Kansas City, I really liked what we did. Par 3's and 5's from the whites, Par 4's from the blues. Mixed it up and I think evened things out for the various handicaps that were playing. AND we STILL had one par three that was right at 200 and another that was about 170. Those are pretty long par 3's for the white tee's I usually see. But it made it fun for everyone I think.

Common sense doesn't apply. Think about playing a few holes backward. I have this argument with a friend of mine all the time who wants me to move from the whites to the blues. One, I'm happy to be around 90 from the whites, a little above, a little below most times. Why in the world would I want to move to tees where my scores would consistently be at or over 100 again!! Ask THPers who I've played with (most THP events are from blues, LOL). He used to argue that when I'm in the whites, sometimes I'm further up in the fairway than he is so I'm long enough to be from the blues. Unfortunately the entire hole isn't played from the tee box. Even though he may be behind me for the second shot he may be hitting a 9 iron and I'm still hitting a 7 so in effect, and how I play my bag, I'm still playing a longer game. That's why there are different tee boxes.

It goes without saying that due to length of the drive and approach shots, women play off the reds and that's why they became known as the women's tees. But as has been posted, it shouldn't be that way. Play to a length that's appropriate for you. Do the math and play the hole backwards. Figure out what distance is right and play from that set of tees. 6300 seems pretty long for white in any case. That's about the distance for most blue sets of tees on courses that I've been at all over the country. There are exceptions of course and even different color tee designations. I'm referring to the typical red, white, blue, and black.

I actually like your suggestion of moving up for the par 3's. The last THP event I did here in Kansas City, I really liked what we did. Par 3's and 5's from the whites, Par 4's from the blues. Mixed it up and I think evened things out for the various handicaps that were playing. AND we STILL had one par three that was right at 200 and another that was about 170. Those are pretty long par 3's for the white tee's I usually see. But it made it fun for everyone I think.

This is exactly what I have been trying to get through to our league. I have no problem playing the Reds as it is fun and that is what I am trying to get them to do.

Thanks all for the replies so far.

If you want to hit from the ladies tees.....by all means go for it. who cares....just dont leave your purse at the tee.

JK

If you want to hit from the ladies tees.....by all means go for it. who cares....just dont leave your purse at the tee.

JK

If I could trust that you wouldn't go through it before giving it back I wouldn't be as worried about it. LOL

I've played the red tees once at my home course just to have fun. Who cares what another player does. Aren't we all just trying to have fun?

go ahead and play the reds, I've played them and it changes the game. Tell the nay sayers that their day will come when the distances will fall off. Also if you see one of them leave a long putt really short just ask them if their husbands golf.

Play the tee that makes the game the most fun for you. To hell with everyone else.

Yep yep. Red doesn't mean ladies, seniors, juniors, or anything else.

Just another set of tees at another distance.

I say play whatever tee's you want to play. Rather see you have fun and continue to enjoy the game then be beaten down by it.

Just a small correction. Most THP Events are not from the Blues. In fact most THP Events are a mixture of tees as we strive to find a distance that works for everybody and is usually not listed on the card.

Back