A Public Serice Announcement: Golf Is a Medical Necessity - My Primary Care Doctor

Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My primary care doc is a great doctor and an overall great guy. I saw him this morning for a followup. I had actually lost 12 lbs since my last visit and he asked me how I did it. I told him I had tried to cut down on snacks and baked goods, walked more, and was doing more yard work and playing more golf. When I mentioned golf, he lit up and said he had read of a Swedish study that found male avid golfers live an average of five years longer than their non-golfer counterparts. He was so impressed with the article that he resumed playing and got his wife, brother and his SO to start playing as well. He said to "tell your wife it's medically necessary." Here's a link to the article about the study:

In return, I told him about how changing to graphite shafts has eliminated wrist, elbow, and shoulder pain after my rounds.

Typical, spending tons of time and money on a study to prove the obvious! :drinks:

If you walk that course with any regularity, it will show.
You don't see a lot of overweight walkers at the course. (y)

I was at the health foods store yesterday. 10% if you have a gym membership on Tuesdays.
Every time I tell them I work like the devil and my bodyfat % is near single digits, and I don't have a gym membership, but I do exercise and hit the road for my miles each day.

Blank stares.
I still don't get the discount. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

My primary care doc is a great doctor and an overall great guy. I saw him this morning for a followup. I had actually lost 12 lbs since my last visit and he asked me how I did it. I told him I had tried to cut down on snacks and baked goods, walked more, and was doing more yard work and playing more golf. When I mentioned golf, he lit up and said he had read of a Swedish study that found male avid golfers live an average of five years longer than their non-golfer counterparts. He was so impressed with the article that he resumed playing and got his wife, brother and his SO to start playing as well. He said to "tell your wife it's medically necessary." Here's a link to the article about the study:

In return, I told him about how changing to graphite shafts has eliminated wrist, elbow, and shoulder pain after my rounds.
I assume he paid you for the sound advice?

lol, that's awesome!

If I get a prescription from my doctor to play golf, will my health insurance cover greens fees?

If I get a prescription from my doctor to play golf, will my health insurance cover greens fees?

I see the humor, but to be honest, I don't see why they wouldn't reimburse us the amount up to what they cover for a gym membership, as a number of them do (the gym membership).

Yes, 5 years longer if you play golf... but WITHOUT the spouse nearby.

I would like to share a few remarks I made for my Dad’s Eulogy a few years ago. In 1969, Dad had a massive heart attack, but luckily worked in a building right next to a Hospital. Back then you were in hospital for weeks and then in bed at home for a month or two. Once he could get around better he went to see his local Cardiologist. Wanted him to do the usual- more exercise, eat better, stop smoking, etc... “Why don’t you take up golf?” So he did. He then got me into the game... and now, after I’ve had 40+ years of playing, it occurred to me: “WHAT KIND OF CRAZY QUACK RECOMMENDS PLAYING GOLF TO A MAN WITH A HEART PROBLEM?”

Well, anyway- he had 2nd HA 10 years later, then a triple bypass after that one, and various other cardiac and circulatory issues for the next 35 years or so and only gave up the game 2 years before passing away... he took up bowling instead.

Yes, 5 years longer if you play golf... but WITHOUT the spouse nearby.

I would like to share a few remarks I made for my Dad’s Eulogy a few years ago. In 1969, Dad had a massive heart attack, but luckily worked in a building right next to a Hospital. Back then you were in hospital for weeks and then in bed at home for a month or two. Once he could get around better he went to see his local Cardiologist. Wanted him to do the usual- more exercise, eat better, stop smoking, etc... “Why don’t you take up golf?” So he did. He then got me into the game... and now, after I’ve had 40+ years of playing, it occurred to me: “WHAT KIND OF CRAZY QUACK RECOMMENDS PLAYING GOLF TO A MAN WITH A HEART PROBLEM?”

Well, anyway- he had 2nd HA 10 years later, then a triple bypass after that one, and various other cardiac and circulatory issues for the next 35 years or so and only gave up the game 2 years before passing away... he took up bowling instead.

Funny - I really wish my wife played.

So true about the outlook for heart attack victims back then. His cardiologist was ahead of his time, article or no.

Fantastic! Now to share this with the rest of my family!

I just sent it to my wife and she said I play enough. I told her no such thing. One of my buddies said maybe his wife doesn’t want him to live that long.

Can he write me a script to get out of work early on Fridays to golf? It will help me avoid migraine headaches, stress, elevated blood pressure, alcohol abuse, and road rage

My company provides all employees with ‘alternative health benefit’ of $500 and golf green fees are eligible expenses.... 😀. 2020 is used up... 2021 can’t get here soon enough

One of my doctor's here, who says (or has to say) I'm not supposed to golf, whenever the topic of stress comes up, asks me if I've been getting to play enough. And then we try to figure out a time to tee it up together. They know it saves lives. Actually, I need that on a t-shirt or something. Golf will save your life. Or at least extend it.

Last edited:
One of my doctor's here, who says (or has to say) I'm not supposed to golf, whenever the topic of stress comes up, asks me if I've been getting to play enough. And then we try to figure out a time to tee it up together. They know it saves lives. Actually, I need that on a t-shirt or something. Golf will save your life. It at least extend it.

Many things that are supposed to make you live longer only make it seem longer. See: eat less red meat, drink less. Golf actually delivers on the promise to extend lives.

I just sent it to my wife and she said I play enough. I told her no such thing. One of my buddies said maybe his wife doesn’t want him to live that long.

My wife is a teacher and before she retired, we attended a seminar put on by the state retirement system. One of the speakers was a financial planner who was discussing pension survivor options. He said, "Most husbands die before their wives. Does anybody know why that is?" A guy in the front row immediately said, "Because they want to."

My company provides all employees with ‘alternative health benefit’ of $500 and golf green fees are eligible expenses.... 😀. 2020 is used up... 2021 can’t get here soon enough
I am now away to check my employment benefits....:ROFLMAO:

I have also read this article. As a doctor, I can say that golf really strengthens the cardiovascular system and increases the endurance of the body, what is necessary for older people. However, I always recommend to be careful and to do check up every year, because sometimes heavy sports loads can only worsen the problem. It is so exciting to help people. I am only 25 years old, but https://www.exploremedicalcareers.com/phlebotomist/ already helped me to become a certificated EKG Technician. Hope that golf will help you to have a long life full of happy moments, but such persons as me, will help you to extend it

Last edited:
Public health doctor here and I strongly support this post.

Back