A thread for SoCal golfers.

Hello Everyone.

I am new to the San Diego area (moved from Northern Cali in January) looking for recommendations for club fitting and lessons.

Thank you all in advance for any advice or tips.

-Rocky
Welcome to San Diego! I'm a high handicap (19) and just started my first ever lessons with Tim Hart at Del Mar Golf Center. He does an awesome job at coaching the basics for a HH like me. I don't have much frame of reference but I like him a lot. They have launch monitors there and he does video analysis in his lessons. His price is really competitive for a 30 min lesson so easy to check it out and see if he's the right coach for you. I took one other lesson at Torrey Pines that was pretty bad. Nice guy but definitely not the fit I was looking for.

I have never been fit but people here rave about club champion and there are a few local locations. I'm leaning towards doing my first fitting there when I'm ready for new clubs. There is also a small golf shop called Fairway Golf in Kearny Mesa that I go to. I got new shafts put in there and like the guys a lot. I have read some good reviews on their fittings and I think their fitting costs are really low. I know they specialize in premium brand clubs so they may push towards some of the pricier options but might be worth stopping in and chatting with them. The guys in the shop are awesome and gave me a great deal on some used shafts with install.

Welcome to San Diego! I'm a high handicap (19) and just started my first ever lessons with Tim Hart at Del Mar Golf Center. He does an awesome job at coaching the basics for a HH like me. I don't have much frame of reference but I like him a lot. They have launch monitors there and he does video analysis in his lessons. His price is really competitive for a 30 min lesson so easy to check it out and see if he's the right coach for you. I took one other lesson at Torrey Pines that was pretty bad. Nice guy but definitely not the fit I was looking for.

I have never been fit but people here rave about club champion and there are a few local locations. I'm leaning towards doing my first fitting there when I'm ready for new clubs. There is also a small golf shop called Fairway Golf in Kearny Mesa that I go to. I got new shafts put in there and like the guys a lot. I have read some good reviews on their fittings and I think their fitting costs are really low. I know they specialize in premium brand clubs so they may push towards some of the pricier options but might be worth stopping in and chatting with them. The guys in the shop are awesome and gave me a great deal on some used shafts with install.
Thanks for the info. I'm a HH as well, I would love to hear an update after a few lessons.

I was looking at the Aviara Performance Center for a fitting. Anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone.

I am new to the San Diego area (moved from Northern Cali in January) looking for recommendations for club fitting and lessons.

-Rocky

are you looking for recommendations based off price or instruction technology used? Price wise i would check out the instructors at Stadium Golf Center. technology wise I would go to the Performance Center at Aviara Golf Course. Their set up is perfect for gear heads

are you looking for recommendations based off price or instruction technology used? Price wise i would check out the instructors at Stadium Golf Center. technology wise I would go to the Performance Center at Aviara Golf Course. Their set up is perfect for gear heads

I am willing to pay for quality, nothing too crazy. I practice at Stadium golf reguraly, I was thinking of taking a lesson there. Like you said the setup at APGC looks legit, I am leaning towards going there for my fitting

Last edited:
Hello Everyone.

-Rocky
I considered driving down from LA to get fit at Carlsbad Golf Center. Top 100 fitter and heard a lot of good things. Instead I ended up going directly to Cobra to get fit since I wanted OL. They do fittings at Escondido Golf course.

Hello Everyone.

-Rocky

I got fit at Club Champion. I like what I got fit into, but it is not cheap. I swear every time someone asks for an instructor recommendation in SD I’m with a different instructor so I probably shouldn’t answer that part haha.

Anyone else with a resident card putting their name in for the Monday after the us open tourney at Torrey?

Anyone else with a resident card putting their name in for the Monday after the us open tourney at Torrey?
I did, wish me luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I put in, we’ll see what happens, not gonna hold my breath tho.

I got fit at Club Champion. I like what I got fit into, but it is not cheap. I swear every time someone asks for an instructor recommendation in SD I’m with a different instructor so I probably shouldn’t answer that part haha.

I worked with Derek Uyeda at the Grand. He's awesome and currently works with Xander, Phil, and Max Homa.

Headed to Sand Diego Sunday for an epic golf trip! cannot wait!

Hey SoCal golfers,

AZ golf guy here. I take a trip to SoCal every year so my daughter can go to camp on Catalina Island. I drop her off in San Pedro and then golf for 5 days straight. I have done this trip 6 times now. I have done trips to SD, Pismo, Palm Springs, Jarupa Valley and I have played all of the Long Beach munis.

Looking to plan my 2021 trip and want to know if any other areas that might be a hot spot for golf. I typically play 5-6 rounds with 4-5 in the $50-80 range and one round at a grade A course. Any suggestions are welcomed.

One of my favorite courses in SoCal is Oak Quarry. Love that course.

I have a tee time at 6:04 pm on Friday the 4th at Mission Bay if anyone in SD wants to do a little night golf, lmk

I have a tee time at 6:04 pm on Friday the 4th at Mission Bay if anyone in SD wants to do a little night golf, lmk

@Tenputt if you're here by then, this would be awesome round for you

@Tenputt if you're here by then, this would be awesome round for you
Thanks for the suggestion. I met a guy at Wolf Creek back in November who invited me to play a round with him whenever I come into town. I think we are tentatively playing at 2:30-ish on Friday.

Thanks for the suggestion. I met a guy at Wolf Creek back in November who invited me to play a round with him whenever I come into town. I think we are tentatively playing at 2:30-ish on Friday.

Travel safe man and either I or a special guest will see you on the tee on Saturday. Enjoy the round at Mission bay.

Hey SoCal golfers,

AZ golf guy here. I take a trip to SoCal every year so my daughter can go to camp on Catalina Island. I drop her off in San Pedro and then golf for 5 days straight. I have done this trip 6 times now. I have done trips to SD, Pismo, Palm Springs, Jarupa Valley and I have played all of the Long Beach munis.

Looking to plan my 2021 trip and want to know if any other areas that might be a hot spot for golf. I typically play 5-6 rounds with 4-5 in the $50-80 range and one round at a grade A course. Any suggestions are welcomed.

One of my favorite courses in SoCal is Oak Quarry. Love that course.
If you're anywhere near Temecula, check out Journey at Pechanga. Just make sure to bring an extra sleeve or two of balls.

Back